Death Battle: Balrog vs T.J. Combo

Yeah, I think there is a big issue with trying to do anyone from KI in Death Battle, and that’s that there isn’t much info to go off of. It’s mostly just a bunch of educated guessing with heavy stress on guessing. Sub-zero vs Glacius really emphasises this because they compared a character that has had 10+ games chocked full of mythos and variety, with who knows how much non-game material (books, comics, tv shows, movies) to back it up and pitted him against someone whose backstory is more ??? than anything, but has only had 2 games, a reboot, and a what…7 issue comic…to draw feats from. Glacius was outmatched just on what he could bring to the table.

I hope Combo’s not the same, but with SF going strong for just as long as MK, the odds are stacked against him.

2 Likes

That is true, but in this case I don’t think it’s to that extreme. Balrog isn’t like say a Ryu, where he has a really in depth story that has a bunch of character development in it. He’s actually a lot like TJ, in that he’s NOT that developed. We actually know more about TJ’s backstory than Balrog’s a this point, the only thing TJ lacks in this DB is a concrete, easily calculable feats…like most fighting game / video game characters. But where there is a will there is a way.

TJ is played up as the “world’s greatest human fighter” in KI…

…so they should be able to do him justice.

All that being said, I’m always apprehensive about these guys getting ALL the info. For the most part though, they do a decent enough job.

Edit:

One more thing, Balrog is 6’4", 298 lb. Fulgore is 6’5", 550 lb, and Riptor is 7’0", 700 lb. I don’t think size makes any difference in this fight. By comparison, Cammy (who double KO’d Balrog) is 5’5", 134 lb.

Just thinking about it now, if Balrog is fast enough to keep up with Cammy…

This should be a good and interesting fight!

Yeah I really don’t care how fast cammy is in the end she’s only human while Riptor Is a cybernetic fire breathing velociraptor, if they need evidence of what Riptor can do they can just watch any Jurassic park movie and imagine the raptors with fire breath. Also Fulgore… come on need I say more.

1 Like

They actually did a DB with Riptor before, so they know his stats. But yeah, Fulgore is a monster. That being said, Balrog is a beast too.

Yeah I’m still salty of how they did it but oh well. I’ve never cared for balrog at all he felt like too much of goon kind of character but then again I’ve never looked into him, anyway my money’s on TJ.

Honestly there isn’t that much to Balrog. He is a goon; its the core of his character. That’s honestly why I think TJ has the advantage here. Still though, I’m trying to keep an open mind here. I don’t want to be to bias.

2 Likes

I liked it better when he looked like Mike Tyson.
Somebody should contact Iron Mike and ask
him if he would mind-

Tyson seems like he is really cool
and just might say do it-

That would be awesome real
Mike Tyson on KI–

Sure he is

They were probably going off of earlier data or something, probably SF2 or 4. Whatever the case I sincerely doubt the matchup is going to swing one way instead of the other based off a 2 inch height difference.

What’s probably going to swing the match is old arcade endings. I don’t remember which one but there is a street fighter games with the old birdie design where a shadaloo headquarters explode with a big mushroom cloud after bison loses and balrog and birdie just walk out relatively unscathed

Edit. It’s the street fighter alpha 3 ending

Lol! I secretly hate these modeled vs screens. It seems all FGs (except NRS games) have bad proportions. KI is no different.

When the hell dos this thing go down?? Tired of reading about it and just ready to see the outcome LOL

They always have to drag it out for 3 weeks or so. the usual pattern is they announce, a week later they show contestant A’s background, the week after that they show contestant B’s background, and the week after that they release the video and p*ss off half of their fans.

That feat is bogus. Check out the ending on youtube for yourself, balrog and birdie don’t just walk out, in fact it’s not even show how they get out. People are just spreading misinformation.

The fight goes down in 2 weeks. TJ’s DB intro releases next week Tuesday.

1 Like

i did. there is also no evidence that they didnt. the psycho drive that balrog destroyed was relatively deep in the base Balrog needed someone else to bring him to it. the explosion that erupted from bison happened almost immediately, bison only time to say one sentence before exploding. the resulting explosion is way too large that if the creator of the game wanted to show balrog/birdie escape they would show them running.

in fact when we next see balrog and birdie in the next scene they are completely surrounded in a blaze of fire showing they didnt escape at all. if they did they would have showed them in a place without the fire.

instead of debating this scene you should be focused on whether or not this non canon ending will be used. after all this scene that can only happen if balrog is strong enough to defeat bison one on one and that is definitely not something balrog can do on his own.

What if endings aren’t cannon unless corroborated by other parts of the story. More than likely it isn’t canon, but even if it was, just because of the fact that it doesn’t explicitly say or show how they got out of the base doesn’t means you get to say “balrog and birdie tanked a nuke” or “town-size” explosion. I mean, balrog and Cammy traded hands and double ko’d each other . Ryu’s dp and his Bade kick ko’d Rog on 2 separate occasions. Bottom line is that feat isn’t what people say it is, Rog and Birdie escaped the explosion just like every other character who was in that base at the time…except Charlie that is.

According to what they say on their podcast, non-cannon feats are accepted if they are supported by what they can do in cannon. Sometimes the non-cannon feasts are just flasheyer and make for easier explanations, but they still check everything and make sure that it’s not an over-exaggeration.

Yeah, that’s why I included Balrog’s SFxT feat of flipping a speeding car with one punch.