Creating the Music for "Kim Wu"

No Pro Tools in sight is a good thing.

Another awesome behind-the-scenes look at the process behind the music. Great job to Atlas Plug and Celldweller - the Kim Wu theme sounds sick. Really looking forward to hearing the full thing. :smile:

Thereā€™s absolutely no question in my mind that KI will continue to have the best FG soundtrack in the business. The variety and energy and fusion of styles is just amazing. Traditional Korean lullaby punctuated by ā€œIā€™m going to kick you in the faceā€ styling. :slightly_smiling:

Also: KI theme on that stringed instrument (koto?) sounded sick.

@SasquatchPotato @TempusChaoti

Any chance that a potential Season 3 Soundtrack could be released a piece at a time, rather than having the full thing release all at once months after the season ends? I know it might not be possible if the themes are not being written in their ā€œfinalā€ form (as it seemed Mick was creating them in ā€œdynamicā€ format first, then edited them later on) but I think there are a lot of people in the community whoā€™d love to get their hands on the tracks as theyā€™re complete and the characters are available!

For instance, Iā€™ve pre-purchased several albums through Itunes, and as songs are officially released they become available to download - some do not even have the name for unreleased tracks, and that would give you the chance to keep things secret.

Iā€™ll wait if I have to, but Iā€™m already excited to hear the full tracks for our 4 S3 launch characters, and would love to add the full tracks to my collection!

DUUUUUUUDE

Iā€™m SO IN LOVE with her theme! Glad she is my S3 main! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

My Kim is going to body yours Ostrich :smiling_imp:

I think IG/MS picked some skilled dudes to hold the music torch. I dig what I hear so far. They seem to be touching on a hybrid of things: techno, metal, and classical methods to incorporate into diverse scores.

1 Like

We will see about that Storm! Prepare yourself, as Iā€™m studying everything about her, harder than I did with Jago! She will TRUELY be my best character. Iā€™ll dragon kick your Kim out of existence! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

*coughdidntmyJagobeatyourscough *

Excuse meā€¦damn allergies :smirk:

1 Like

I beat your Jago somewhere around 3 times during that 40-something set, if weā€™re counting!

A broken clock will show the right time twice a day, even if the rest of the day itā€™s absolutely worthless.

Lol. You play Thunder right? Itā€™s been a while since we played :slightly_smiling:

I decided to actually learn Jago a month or so ago (as opposed to just throwing random inputs out and feeling my way through his MUā€™s). Itā€™s a lot better now. :smile::+1:

Excellent video, and Iā€™m happy to see that they have great taste- I have the same blue Gigan figure in my office! :grin:

-Zenek

Much better than the last one imho. Iā€™m glad we get stereo samples as well - the only thing Iā€™d like to see is a version of those ending notes playing the KI theme, without that final guitar chord underpinning it so I could use it as a quick text/notification tone. :smiley: Interesting video as well because we actually get to hear the parts on their own/as they are being recorded.

Looking forward to the next one, if there is oneā€¦

2 Likes

Sounds really good, cool to see all the different inspirations and sources they used in this one!

ā€¦ Also, I am coveting Celldwellerā€™s Godzilla figures like WOA. ;__;

Who was singing in the vocals?

Better get them allergies checked. Seems like itā€™s a pretty bad cold. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to admit, Iā€™m really diggin Kim Wu & Rashā€™s musicā€¦

Howeverā€¦

One thing thatā€™s worrying me about these guys is so far every track has been rather guitar-heavy, which with whatā€™s been given isnā€™t a bad thing, but it is a bit creatively stifling to shoehorn a particular instrument into everything you do because ā€œItā€™s your thingā€ If Mick had done something like that we wouldnā€™t have the awesomeness of Saberwulfā€™s or Spinalā€™s themes. I know the majority of the music in KI does, but Iā€™m just saying they should use it where it makes sense & be sure to do something different when it doesnā€™t.

1 Like

Much more impressive of a presentation than the last video (not saying the last one was bad however) Iā€™m a little more convinced the OST for s3 is in good hands. While this isnā€™t the fun teasers we got from mick, canā€™t say I donā€™t like the behind the scenes a little more. This month is going great!

Wow. A lot of stuff in her music. They stayed faithful but updated it in their own style, the lullaby idea is pretty neat. Am I the only one who couldnā€™t notice these subtleties until this video?
I look forward to the R-Biterā€™s theme sneak peek. Iā€™m very interested to see how they took the task of mixing two franchise themes.

1 Like

I consider myself a musical guy. I used to play in bands and now I play some guitar. Iā€™m not great, but I really enjoy music and lots of different kinds of music. But Iā€™m just not as obsessed with the KI soundtrack as many of the fans on here. I say this as a preface for my comments on the video

This is fantastic! First of all, it really gives us an idea of what sort of effort goes into producing one of these scores. Second, I love how the elements of the score are built up around the different aspects of Kimā€™s character. I am not such a huge fan of electronic music in general, but the singer and the (harpsichord?) player were both super impressive and I really appreciate the overall vision that Atlas and Celldweller are bringing to the track. It sounds great to me. Really good job guys. I love the way they weave in the KI theme too. Again, I also think it gives people an idea of just how elaborate (and expensive) these things really are to do. You donā€™t just pound out something like this in a weekendā€¦

If we could get something even remotely resembling this type of video for someone, for example, putting together a character model or animating a character that would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure Rkosmik will upload the full track like all the others.
Didnā€™t imagine as much techno and guitar in Kimā€™s music but overall is nice. Looking forward to seeing it on her stage.

Canā€™t help but wonder what Mick Gordon would have done for the final two original KI characters themesā€¦

I agree about the previous as to where her concept art was for the supporters

2 Likes