Constructive Feedback on the new level 4 ender effect

I don’t know dude. I’m kinda scared at the moment. People compain about Jarring effects, but what about Shadow Jago? He uses the same “Blackening” tech for his Annihilation move, as well as his ultimate, and that really doesn’t distract from gameplay, with all it’s movements. Even Aria, has a Instinct, where the Camera zooms on her and can disorient people. I don’t know what to say right now.

2 Likes

I think the main thing about the level 4 enders is that it doesn’t look fluid. It’s fast flashing cuts of different camera angles, and some people don’t like that.

Hence why I think it needs some polishing, but I still like the concept of it.

2 Likes

And you have used this supressive tactic on anyone who has anything less than stellar to say about the game. How is it fair to silence the voices of the few and then go around and tell them not to amplify their voice?

This isn’t an arguement between you and me. It’s all about KI and the guy who you say am using as “amplification” is perhaps one of the most important people in KI. If he feels distressed about the situation why shouldn’t that news be spread. Especialy since the guy above me mentioned he wanted someone to specifically bring up the tweet.

1 Like

It’s about voicing your opinion. Not pretending you speak for other people. And if folks would stop saying things like “well clearly it’s a problem otherwise all these people wouldn’t be in here complaining about it” argument I wouldn’t need to point out that it’s just a handful of people posting over and over again. Still people are saying things like “most people don’t like it” even when the closest thing to real data we have is that most people do like it.

1 Like

So what now? I feel like I’m just going to lie low for a bit. See where this goes.

You’re gathering your bases of people’s opinions from this forum. It’s the least place you’ll find negativity. Hardcore KI fans who love the game and would defend the game with their life are the ones who searched for these forums and community. You’ll have an equally one sided pole opinion if you go to MS and ask them which game they prefer Halo or God of War. Most will say Halo while a few will say God of War.

You forget that we, the people on the forums, are the minority. KI is the minority. Opinions out there are more important. These pro players who play multiple fighting games are important not just KI fans like most of us in here including me. They see what other fighting games do good and see the flaws in others with no biase.

1 Like

People who like a game are the ones most likely to spend money on it and actually play it. So of course their opinions matter more to the developers of said game than those who don’t like the game and who won’t spend money on it or play it. Only makes sense.

2 Likes

Well, I just saw the first suggestion outside of what was shown to me in the Sanjay tweet thread.

Someone suggested the camera bangle switches be during INSTINCT activation, like critical arts and like I had suggested a while back, like soul caliburs activations and like MVC 3 activations. The move has to be charged up, meaning no abuse of the animation.

It was the close ups of the chars that I loved in that instant that won’t take you out of the game, but arias instinct was never a problem, so why not let the other chars have the same type instinct camera finesse, then it can only happen when your instinct is full again, not for every ender…

At this rate people are going to make the game be delayed until winter 2017 with all the clap backs. Then they will be sorry.

Bangles?? Like “Walk like an Egyptian?” LOL - JK
"Manic Monday Oh Ohhh"

It’s different. Shago’s is just one, somewhat rare occurrence. It would be different – unbearable even – if every character in the game had what he has and were able to use it frequently.

The new effects are game and character wide.

It will have nothin new in my opinion, It’s just more shakey, not more dynamic.

Besides it isn’t like they can’t polish the new enders up a bit. what we saw was a stream that had questionable quality.

Another option I’d suggest is the reason the lvl4 enders may look choppy to some people: The frame freezes with each hit, so instead of doing that, just make it as smoothed as the “normal” level 4 enders, keep the black background and dynamic angle.

The options that I see the devs possibly doing are:

-Move this effect from regular Lv4 enders to Lv4 shadow damage enders with added polish such as not having the freeze frame pauses on each hit and changing the smokey effect colour to perhaps a purple.

-Replace the effect with how the Jago launch trailer gif looks (more polished regular Lv4 enders).

-Keep this effect on regular Lv4 enders (with the changes mentioned on the first bullet point) and also making sure that at the end of the ender, the camera smoothly transitions back into gameplay rather than having a camera cut.

-Leave it like the latest stream footage

Personally I’d prefer the effect to be moved to Lv4 shadow damage enders (with the above mentioned changes) and at some point in the future have the regular Lv4 enders be polished up to look like that Jago launch trailer gif.

The thing with Shago’s ultimate/annihilation is:

• it’s one character, and you see it once every 10 matches
  • it’s smoothly animated and doesn’t expose jank (much? at all?)
  • the camera isn’t choppy

That said, I have no doubt that Shago’s ultimate would look a lot better if it was not against a black background, but the reasons for it being the way it is are easier to accept (it was transplanted from a mode that didn’t exist, and they needed to make concessions). I have no doubt they would have chosen to keep the stage in the background if it was at all possible for them.

Compare it to the new level 4 enders, which is every character and 3 times per match, expose all the jank possible for every move, and often consist of extremely choppy, screenshot-esque transitions, on a black background so we have no choice but to look directly at them, AND we’ve had a perfectly good system in place of it for 2 years now (so this is not a new gameplay feature we didn’t have before)… it’s not at all the same level of impact on the game.

4 Likes

This is exactly my suggestion as well. In fact, this is the OP in a nutshell.

Just for some comparisons, since I keep hearing over and over again how the change in background is so jarring it makes the game unplayable…

The moves are super disruptive to the flow and timing of the game and make it unplayable…

This one is my favorite, because every single one darkens the screen and changes the background, immediately and “jarringly” changes the camera angle and pauses the gameplay. Furthermore, almost all of these leave the opportunity for the player who scores with them to follow up somehow (so timing after the event is expected) and the player hit by it has to be prepared to defend himself immediately afterward. And these show up routinely in matches at competitive level.

And of course, here’s another good example of the screen darkening, camera angles changing, quick cuts, and a pause in the gameplay…

If you have a “fundamental” issue with the use of these techniques in KI, then you need to explain to me why the use of all the same things in these other games - which are all commercially and competitively popular is not a problem for you. If the answer is something along the lines of “but those look good” then you don’t have a fundamental problem with the lvl 4 enders. You just have a problem with the execution. Which is something different entirely.

If what people are complaining about is that they don’t like the camera angles and the animations, then I think it makes perfect sense to ask them to improve the camera movement so it isn’t so jarring. Many of the people who like the lvl 4 enders have already provided this feedback (including me). This is an adjustment. This isn’t a “this effect has ruined the game and so I’m quitting,” issue. If it is, you better not be quitting to play any other fighting game because you are going to be really disappointed when you run into the same stuff.

1 Like

I don’t care about other games. I care about KI.

I’d love a big explosion at the end of a match.
Mini ultra at the end of the first bars with it.
But you have a point all these games have moves like it but non are complaining about them

I think you’re prone to a few fallacies here.

First, the SFIII examples are from the first two iterations. SFIII was not particularly popular with the fans for various reasons, and 3rd Strike did away with those background animations (I think, I’ve only watched it). Second, level 4 enders are just that: they’re combo enders that can happen multiple times during a game. A super or ultra happens only once except on very, very rare occasions. Same goes for X-rays or Injustice supers. Third, Marvel is a visual fustercluck and not a good example of anything. I find it completley unwatchable and unplayable, as I do most anime fighters.

I think that SFV (and Rising Thunder, RIP) did it just right in my opinion. The CAs and Overdrives are dramatic enough because they are basically a comeback mechanic, but they don’t take you out of the game or the stage, you can see it in the background for the most part, even if there is some background darkening to flesh out the foreground action.

As far as I’m concerned, if you give the animated effect (and polish it some more) to level 5 (shadow level 4) enders, then we’re right were we should be. But with regular level 4 enders it’ll happen too often and get old quick, Kind of like I would sigh every time I (or my opponent) did an X-Ray or Super in MK or IGAU. It’s a few seconds where I’m just twiddling my thumbs and wishing it was over already. Of course the timing in KI won’t change, so it’s a slightly different issue, but you get the idea.

Moreover, there’s another thing that people seem to be missing: overall game design consistency. SF has always been more colorful, cartoony and zany, so it can get away with more. Anime fighters even more so. KI has been grittier and much more down-to-earth, all the moves are short and to the point, but pack a visual punch already. If you do a level 1, 2, 3 or 4 ender, you can see the differences between them in the amount of hits and ripples and all, but you immediately see that it’s an ender of that given type. They all fall in the same basket, they’re consistent. And now, all of a sudden, you get a level 4 ender that is completely different (and then you get a shadow ender that looks like the first three with the added shadow trail effect). That just doesn’t sit well with me.

3 Likes

What I fear most is the potentially excessive effect occurrence.
To have the effect during a super finishing move or during a move using meter (and therefore a very limited number of times per round) is very different from having the effect, potentially, every 10 seconds depending on the skill the players with breakers.
I think it is useless to include marvel and smash in the comparison because they are “deliberately excessively flashy” which KI, thank God, is not (not in the way of a typical marvel game, anyway).

And btw, given the fact that I really can’t see the need to introduce a similar effect, looking at the gifs posted here I think the trailer effect is immensely cooler than a black screen with sudden camera changes.
Imho.

1 Like

Well, I think it’s very reasonable to say lvl 4 enders may happen too often. I disagree, but it’s at least a valid argument. As far as game design consistency, I think it’s also a fair point, although I disagree. The enders are not particularly colorful or cartoony, they are just over the top. KI is and always has been over the top. If you go back and compare to the KI 2 level four ender effects (explosive fire everywhere blocking your view of what’s happening) I don’t really see this as inconsistent with the game’s overall tone.

But, of course, this isn’t what we are hearing. I think it’s wrong to try to bolster one’s argument with a lot of logical sounding nonsense - and I’m getting tired of hearing about how jarring and impossible the black background and camera angles are. When all people are really trying to say is “I don’t think they look good.”