Community Survey POLL NUMBERS šŸ’Ÿ

I love kan ras stage ultra. Best finishing move Iā€™ve done in a fighting game.

1 Like

I think all the finishers are fine for what they are supposed to be. I donā€™t see why people are so disappointed by the camera work considering that unlike MKX, the cinematic is designed to easily cut back to the winning character. So a style like MKX doesnā€™t work in this case.

And seriously, why are people complaing about Shagoā€™s ultimate not having the old skybox? Would you rather just be able to use it in Shagoā€™s stage? Good Gargos.

3 Likes

I totally agree with this here and have requested this myself a few timesā€¦this too was my Feedback for the Devs in the Surveyā€¦but unfortunately the % on a lot of the Shadow lab surveys have been really low. People arenā€™t gravitating towards it and that needs to change. I think these additions could fix that.

1 Like

Dont have anything in common with the above! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::boom:

If the enders were as good as MKX id happily not have them cut back to the character! lol

Some effects can be added to what we have to make sure they look even better than they do. Maybe the Intros and outtros should be shown on the 2D plaine too?

I think the finishers are meant to be EPIC ender scenes to the matchā€¦ do i think they are epic? No. Does that mean they are good for what they are? I guess it doesnā€™t! Would i rather not have them in this state? Probably maybe i should have voted for colours!

Im sure they could make ultimates work on each level or redesign them so they do work. Do i think its ā€˜ultimateā€™ on a black background? No not even nearly. I cant even see how high they go! i cant even see the collision with the floor. The impact on stone metal or wood etc just allot of close up character models * yawns *

#IG

#VS

#DH

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that Iā€™ve heard somewhere on the old forums that in order for ultimates to work without the black screen, that would they would have to completely retool the entire stage itself (this applies to all of them). That of course would mean itā€™ll take a lot of time and resources (keep in mind stages are the 2nd most expensive next to characters) just for the sake of another finisher that may or may not be worth it in the long run.

1 Like

or change the ultimate? so it can fit to each background?

i mean not even the lowest stage is that lowā€¦ its not like they fight in a cave and cant jump?

im sure they could be made to look special in the space we have?

I would say it would make more sense just to make it a retro costume. Since this is his debut game his retro look can be whatever we think I should be

Love this idea. Also would love to practice with any character in dojo. As of now dojo forces you to play as Jago and I hate Jago

1 Like

I like the IG one better, IMO. More Cinematic. Shago looks like he hits harder, and on a rampage. Lol.

I suggested that the Ultimateā€™s are changed to mimic a MK X brutality. This way it isnt cinematic and attached to the stage. It would be on the 2D plain or whatever its called. Much like an Ultra but and Ultimate!

I think this is the best way to satisfy everyone. Ultimateā€™s were never cinematic in the old KI, so this would hearken back to the KI2 style and everyone would be happy. It can be done becasue its really no different than an Ultraā€¦ just a few new animations that are less hits and a final blow.

True, that can be a possibility. But at the same time, Shagoā€™s ultimate pretty much set the bar in a lot of peopleā€™s minds about how ultimates should be. So going by your suggestion, Shago would be only one with a cinematic ultimate while everyone else has a 2D one. I can already sense the sodium levels that would rise due to that level of inconsistency.

Oh I agreeā€¦ but you can never please everyone. I think this would be the best solution and atleast we would get them and IMO it would be the easiest way to program itā€¦even though I know nothing about programmingā€¦IM just assuming.

But to be honest I dont think this will ever happenā€¦ but its the best I could think of.

I absolutely love MKX brutalities and I personally think they are the highlight of MKXā€¦ I believe it would make KI so much more excitingā€¦ there could be secret ones and new ones added over time. It could really ramp up the excitement level IMO

1 Like

I kinda disagreeā€¦

Brutalities are so good because they are SO brutal and instant. They are also beautifully animated and feel special because of it.

Ki is teen rated there is nothing here can can make us go WOW. Keepin it on the 2d plaine would make these look even more silly and boring. They would look even more irreivant than what we have imo.

We shoupd go for cinematic just donā€™t shoot up in the bloody air lol. Street fighter manages to do it on every super move it csnt be that hard lol.

Or if you do have shoot up in the air for shadow jago then make a shadow cloud emerge as they go up and then disipate as they start to fall back down into an area that can be seen?

Failing that maybe just dont knock them up so hight or just to the top of the lowest stage.

These things are not impossible to make work but yes they take time and money out of kis budget.

My idea is a realistic solution to the current problem. The cinematic ultimate is obviously not practical in the current game engine without rebuilding every stage. thats not going to happen. they couldnā€™t even make new stagesā€¦why would they rebuild 24+ stages?
Its either a compromise or nothing, unless they have a trick up their sleeve we dont know about.

1 Like

You donā€™t know that.

1 Like

Iā€™m in an educational / show how the sausage is made mood today.

Shadow Jagoā€™s original ultimate was built into the level itself, with all the camera splines and targets, plus character setups, baked into the specific level. That stage also has a large skybox that can handle seeing ā€œupā€ more than other stages can. Fighting game stages are much like TV & movie sets - you build for what the audience sees, not what you donā€™t.

We have 20 stages at present. No two stages are built exactly the same because we use their budgets differently depending on its intended role as an effect stage or a destruction stage. Also, theyā€™re vastly different - some are underground, some not, some day, some night, some claustrophobic, some open, and many donā€™t have skyboxes or can handle the views set up for Shagoā€™s ultimate, so copying it across to all the stages wonā€™t work - by hand, someone has to go in and tweak every one in order to make just that one ultimate work. Thatā€™s 20 audits just for one ultimate, and what if one stage just canā€™t handle the ultimate you really want because of camera angles? What if they donā€™t have a skybox to imply height really well? It has to be reworked for the lowest common denominator in terms of height, view, etc. and then re-tweaked again across all 20 stages.

Letā€™s say every character has an ultimate that is stage appropriate. Thatā€™s 26 characters x 20 stages = 520 ultimate animations to tweak and tune. This doesnā€™t include the actual creation of each ultimate either, which is typically all custom animations and audio / fx work.

So how to not get buried by that amount of work? Either make all the stages the same in terms of skyboxes, ceiling heights, wall heights, etc. Which is what some other games do, which in our opinion ruins the unique feel of each of the stages, orā€¦ remove the background during the ultimate so that it works anywhere.

In the future, you could imagine that if others get ultimates, weā€™d build them with the stages in mind, which at least helps somewhat in the creation, but you still have the issue of having to check them vs. every stage and tweak appropriately, because we care a lot about the stages we make.

I get it that as fans, none of this matters to you, and thatā€™s cool - you want great things for KI and want it to be more epic and hype in all possible ways. We do too ā€“ we just have to deal with the reality of making that happen.

Note that weā€™ve not given up on the idea of ultimates, thereā€™s just a lot of ā€œthis or this?ā€ conversations we have constantly over every feature we consider.

20 Likes

Love youuuuuuu uncle adam

2 Likes

Talking about other characters getting Ultimates in the futureā€¦

ULTIMATES CONFIRMED!!!

5 Likes

YOU ā– ā– ā– ā–  RIGHT lmao

Hmmm now thatā€™s a more technical side of explanation. I always did wonder about ā€œthe black screenā€ effect in MK.