Combat Feedback Wanted; Help Shape the Future of KI! (Breakers and Potential Damage)

Try it at 50% let’s see how it feels for season 4 :heart:

1 Like

this is horrible … imagine a match between 2 great combo breakers, BOTH are in “danger! danger!!” … and combos are being broken left and right …

that’s the hypest thing, and the SIGNATURE OF KILLER “C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!” INSTINCT!!!

it makes spectator crowds scream OHHHH!!!, it makes the players sweat buckets, THAT is the image of Killer Instinct. Being a great combo breaker SHOULD make you near invincible.

Oook, but you can still break the combos? You still get that breaker. It’s just less rewarding to get the break since you have a 1/3 chance of guessing correctly and the guess breaking has gone pretty nutty in recent time.

This will actually force higher level players to play the neutral. To go into defense/offense instead of mindless gimmicky offense. Lower level players won’t really care.

This really won’t affect that, you know…

That’s certainly the case some of the time, but there’s also many times where players will attempt to break almost ASAP or with the KV around the middle. And I’ve seen several instances where players fail to react to and capitalize on these kinds of lockouts where they could have easily tacked on at least 15% more damage.
You can also choose to tack on that much additional damage even in a late-combo lockout if you have the meter for it. I think that often a significant portion of the potential reward for lockouts is untapped on the whole.

I dunno, at least around half a life-bar for counter-breakers seems like a lot to me and the reward can go significantly higher than that depending on when you landed it, how much damage your character can generally do, and how much meter you have. It’s enough to majorly shift the momentum of a match.

■■■■ I’m good.

Anyways, I’m not really sure how I would feel about this change and as others have said would have to physically test out the changes myself before giving a final answer. My initial response however is I feel this would change the meta of the game a lot theoretically. Resets would become more dominant than they already are this coupled with ever changing mind game after combo breakers in the first place. While I still feel combo breakers themselves could use a change, a step in the right direction is a good step none the less. Anything to minimize the reward for guess breaking I’m down for.

Interesting. I wonder how/if it would change the pace of the game. Would players start to be more cautious in the nuetral game, since getting caught in a combo is now potentially more dangerous, or would players start to be more aggressive, since landing an opener is suddenly more valuable?

1 Like

Out of curiosity (and fear of potentially going off topic), what kind of change are you thinking?

if not brought up … the current combo breaker mechanics just ain’t what KI players ask for to be changed

Sadly, you’re wrong. :pensive:

might don’t make right … skim though the feedback section, and the combo breakers mechanics are never asked to be changed

We can’t ignore the opinions in this thread though. I want it to be changed.

2 Likes

And this change won’t affect that in any way, are you sure you’re not misunderstanding what the change is?

the change in question is you only get half PD back after breaking, and nerfing KI’s signature

Yea my only concern is that there will be a decrease in counter breaker use, which already aren’t used much. In the end I guess it’s all subjective whether or not you think it’s worth it, but I dunno, my gut says less people will think it is. Of course people may want to break more often/predictably to get rid of as much PD as possible, which is in a way incentive to counter break. One of those things we’ll have to wait and see. If it skews to the point where counter breakers aren’t used at all, I hope the team will look into ways to give more incentive. (Saw someone mention adding PD on a successful counter break, which I don’t know if I agree with, but is the kind of ideas I’m talking about and such).

And of course I have confidence in y’alls balancing skills, so really I’m pretty much in favor of this change. Am really eager to see it in action at some point.

This is a good idea what about if somebody breaks a manual you keep 50% of PD since 90% of times is a guess break or if they break a AD they get back 75% PD and a linker 100%

1 Like

I think that this is an elegant solution to something that I felt was a problem and replied with in the Survey which is the value of combos and the risk reward for them is still weirdly skewed in KI. The new method I think has the potential to more correctly balance this out (especially with the aversion to combo breakers). I Like the change.

I think Counter Breakers will still have usage since longer combos will mean more Potential Damage remains on the opponent, which means people will be forced to break much earlier in a combo, which to me means that it will be easier to predict a Combo Breaker attempt.
That’s just my viewpoint anyway.

This seems cool so far! I’ve got no major complaints, I’d have to mess with it myself to see how much it impacts my play. My brother plays Cinder, so I’m sure he’ll chime in if he feels broken inside. Otherwise, I’ve got no problem and I really do like the idea of the sort of diminished reward for something that could very well just be a guess.

yeah i didnt read that part about nerfing the grab the first time.