OFFICIAL Combat Survey Discussion Thread

Judging by the questions asked, seems they are looking at/considering changing reward/punishment of combo breakers while also examining the easy accessibility of breakers. Perhaps they are considering that the easiness of combo breakers isn’t translating well in terms of losing all your PD.

For me I think potential damage is in a perfect spot for now although there are character specific scenarios where I wish PD dwindled for a tad longer to be able to capitalize off it for example hitting someone with Kim’s reversal Shadow Dragon Kick. It builds a beefy chunk of PD but she takes so long to land to the ground while also having a hefty pushback, all the PD is fully recovered before she can do anything with it.

I could totally see them potentially implementing a change where you don’t recover 100% of your PD anymore after a combo breaker allowing for a second chance at cashing out later. I feel this would significantly speed up the game because people would be anxious to get back in and try to capitalize even though they had just been broken and as we know some characters actually gain advantage after being broken as apposed to being disadvantageous. This change would probably also subsequently buff characters like Omen’s demonic grab, Fulgore’s Devastation beam etc. This is a hypothetical change in which I’m theorizing they could implement but not necessarily something I’m suggesting as I mentioned the PD system is in a fine state overall.

Their question about how easy it is to Combo Break was also interesting. In my opinion at this point in the games cycle most players can break everything and anything on reaction (except manuals) almost instantaneously. Contrary to back in Season1 where the question was " can you break this", now in this stage of the game the question is “will you break this”. I’d rather them change breakers than adjust reward/punishment for them as I think breakers are a long term problem that needs a solution rather than changing a byproduct of something else that isn’t the real problem. What I mean by breakers being a “problem” is the counter measure of “Counter Breakers” not being a full or real punishment tool anymore. People are so scared to counter break these days that people just let stuff rock no matter what. I’d personally just like to see breakers become harder overall in some fashion or more risky. There is just too much combo breaking going on now that the game can kinda get annoying to watch. I’d like to see a story and mind game of a match progress between the two players instead of seeing a random combo breaker every 5 seconds.

Back in development of Season1 doubles and linkers were extremely slow and then they did a speed pass and sped everything up by like 20 or 30%. Perhaps they could do that again although maybe that isn’t the solution either. Maybe make lockouts last longer or get some sort of damage bonus during locks so your opponent hits harder as a punishment for you getting locked out…idk just ideas.

You can see what I mean in this video.

Obviously we don’t know their plans for the game going to forward so any drastic changes to breakers may or might not be something they have in the cards.