Cinder's unbreakables need to go

The best tip I can give is work your way in to Cinder’s close range, because sitting at the range where he can throw pyrobombs at you free of worry means your letting him get away with that. It’s one thing if he wants to guerilla style run and stick, it’s another if you decide you’d rather sit in a corner and just take it.

I learned in an online with Raven is Raw that he’s patient enough to just sit at long distance and is content with throwing them at you all day, which is fine. I found that basically forcing that early pressure on him to reduce his ability to zone almost renders pyrobomb useless. If he scores a hard knockdown, then it can come back into play at almost any range.

However, Cinder’s game is built around him being able to attach three pyrobombs at most to, as a reward for a carefully considered toss, as these are not normal projectiles with a straight travel but have a curve and a gravity to them, and for being able to train an opponent to fear your close range enough to simply sit there and let you tag them. It’s like you said, you could dodge some but probably not all, or as a tool for wakeup setups.

Simply changing it to one pyrobomb means he gets a lot less of blockstun on block, lower juggle height, less overall damage, and everything that’s balanced around those properties right now. This will affect his juggles, his damage, and his best offensive trait cutting down some of his up close pressure. To compensate, you’d have to make his single pyrobomb hit bigger, harder, juggle higher, and inflict more blocktstun, and I’m pretty sure you’d rather have three smaller hitting pyrobombs that have to be carefully timed and thrown with a chance of dodging them rather than having to be hit by a bigger one with nearly the same effect that still allows Cinder’s design to work as intended.[quote=“ZDhome, post:60, topic:21629”]
Much like Jago used to be, I don’t think he is crazy broken, I just think some adjustments should be made. Take a little from his zoning and PD build.

bombs don’t chip, and do less damage. They are already VERY good set up tools that open up juggle combos, as well as being utilities in throws and OTG. They don’t need to also be used to cheese out the end of matches.
Low inferno hits 3 slow times, making it shadow counterable. It’s already unpunishable on block (afaik), and comes out crazy fast, so at least let a good player spend meter to punish it if they get a read on it.
“fan the flames” mechanic change: instead of resetting the time you’re burning by pressing a button that has been “burnt out”, you just add a decent chunk of extra PD to the current amount. This would mean that FAILURE to take back momentum with a burned button would still be a huge punish for cinder, but SUCESS would more often lead to you removing most of the PD. (Currently, success and a full combo will still leave you with a lot of PD to worry about.)

Insult all you want, but this is my thoughts, and I’m willing to bet cinder will get some change soon. Maybe not even a nerf, but some kind of balance change / rework of a mechanic. In a short while, I’m sure tons of people will be very good with him because valoraxe has shown his potential. But that “potential” is definitely too much.
[/quote]

Allow me to be frank:

No. To everything.

Your whole response screams to me you don’t understand the matchup and how to deal with it at all.

-Pyrobombs chip damage is super tiny at best, but as it is a special it should chip. Inferno has no chip, but to counter balance, it builds its PD well, but no opponent willingly let’s you find windows to randomly throw out an inferno, you make it sound braindead when it’s not. Also, except for fired up and shadow pyrobombs, they do very small damage anyway. Seriously, compare their damage to an endokuken or to a number of projectiles in the game.

-Inferno is very punishable on block, ask Sabrewulf. Any time you do a non-fired up version, it hits with -2 on hit and -4 on block, and can not be auto doubled into, one of few openers you can’t do that with, and on block, Sabrewulf’s crouching normals can punish it, if he’s close enough. You have to spend meter to use it for a combo. It’s also slow startup, and easily telegraphed, so if the opponent has meter, prepare to eat a projectile invincible shadow opener.

-Why not just skip the middle man and just have a burnout ender no longer add flames and instead just add a huge chunk of PD instead? Cinder’s game has obvious weaknesses that are built around his fan the flames mechanic, being built the way it is now. Your change gives little to no reason to even respect the flames at all, so there’s no incentive to stop hitting buttons, which is the point of the burnout. This changes his pressure game greatly to where it’s hard to be effective.

If you really want that last change though, I tell you what, if the burnouts remain after a combo breaker as a tradeoff, let’s talk…

Most of this argument screams how little you know about Cinder, his matchups, or how to beat him.

Don’t count on it, there’s a reason Cinder has been untouched by the nerf bat or buff…thing (I have no physical euphemism for buffs) for all this time. He’s simply a well built character, and valoraxe is just so good with him, he makes the bad matchup like Gargos look easy. I’ve played Cinder enough to know that is his WORST matchup, and if Wheels never changed to Sabrewulf, I honestly believe he would have eventually worn down Valoraxe. It’s a difficult matchup.[quote=“ZDhome, post:60, topic:21629”]
And for the icing on the cake… if he had a bomb on you, or used an ender that allows him to continue the combo, you have so little CV on you, that he can continue into more damage, or ANOTHER round of burning your limbs.
[/quote]

Bull. His recap has one of the worst KV penalties in the game, they are NOT all built equal.

Above Average? His fireballs do no damage unless detonated, they disappear if he gets hit, the arc he tosses them at makes them difficult to aim. You want above average zoning, try a character who can use his projectiles to force to block into a mixup into an unblockable projectile or can break your combo because he can delay them (Glacius), or can track and hold down your movements anywhere on screen and have good mixup and juggle power (Gargos), or can suspend you in air for looping command throws, combo recaps, and juggles (Kan Ra, Arbiter, Aria, Mira, Eagle).

I really want to take you seriously, but most of your complaints seem to boil down to how you don’t know to approach the matchup, and rather than improve on your weaknesses and lack of knowledge, you’re calling for a character to be changed to accommodate your shortcomings, and that’s no way to get better. If nothing else, try playing as him and understand how he has to fight and the struggles you have to go through to earn your damage. If you can see yourself pulling off the same high level stuff with minimal training and thought, then yeah, there’s something wrong, and then IG can deal with it. But just because a character you don’t like won a tournament in a way you didn’t like doesn’t mean he’s broken.

For a long time, I thought Hisako was broken, but I started to play as her and after some time of being committed to her, I realized she wasn’t broken at all, and the thought process behind using her is complex, and is more or less making your opponent afraid of you and forcing them into making mistakes by taking risks they normally wouldn’t. I also didn’t like that the counter as a special could overcome shadow moves, but I plan my game around it now.

Also, Valoraxe lost to Storm at CEO, and I remember one cringeworthy moment when he shadow countered a hit of ORZ rekka, and Storm used a wrath cancel to catch him. I saw that before it ever happened. Cinder’s not perfect, but a good player makes the worst matchups look so easy, it’s like he has no weaknesses. So instead of a knee jerk reaction of calling for nerfs, how about trying to get know the character a little before rushing to such a huge judgement.

2 Likes

The fact that you said a -4 special move is punishable by a button, when the fastest buttons in the game aren’t active untill frame 5, is enough to discredit you for me.

Not to mention, no cinder player would ever in life use that move at the range of a 5 frame normal.

But I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and test some of this stuff when I’m home.

(A cinder player defending cinder, shocking)

I always charge Cinder headlong to force their hand. The problem is they will generally just run to the opposite side and start chunking bombs. As soon as one attaches the match becomes a needless grind. Where I tiptoe while blocking until I have enough meter to use Demon Blade.

I always try to stay in Cinder’s face, and in most cases it works, but then I face the really GOOD Cinders and that is where everything goes to pot. It’s always the same and 90% end with the time running out.

Pyrobombs aren’t like regular projectiles. Much like Sadira’s webs during instinct, they stay on the screen or stay attached to you until Cinder detonates them.

There are several things IG could do to change the Pyrobombs without destroying Cinder. They could simply buff the amount of meter gained for blocking them, change the duration they last, limit the amount on screen at once (while buffing the height his target combo launches you).

1 Like

Yeah, I actually think the in game frame data is wrong, but it’s definitely negative enough to be punished.

And I’ve tested it myself. At full duration, it even gives you the “PUNISHMENT!” indicator when you do it, which only happens if you can hit an opponent in recovery, which means I have to eat it. Sabrewulf can do this reliably and can even mash it.

The longer the duration of inferno, the worse on block it gets, as a simple quick 2 hit spray is safe on block (except against RAAM, with 3 frame and 1 frame startup grabs) at -4, but at full duration of inferno, all hits, not fired up, Cinder is punishable. But he doesn’t get any real PD unless he uses the full spray.

Also, there are some distances a 5 frame normal can not punish, so it’s more trial and error than you think. Sabrewulf’s cr.lp has got some of the best distance for a 5 frame normal in the game, so it’s a mistake that’s easy enough to make.

A player with a lack of matchup knowledge calling for nerfs, shocking.

And considering how many Jago players come to the aid of their character when he’s hit with the nerf bat, and seeing the reaction of how anyone defends their character when they’re under the microscope, I’d say I’m more than justified.

Cinder is one of those characters like Thunder that has to be approached in how you nerf or buff him much more carefully. I know it sounds like a good thing on paper, but even changes that you think are small have big consequence. Thunder was really difficult to balance in season 1 and worse in season 2, who I played exclusively just about until Cinder arrived. Simple changes to something like his Call of Sky going from good tracking to bad tracking projectile can break moves and impact his matchups, and figuring out how to create a balance and a moveset that give him versatility enough to approach a situation is a tiptoe on a high wire act. I like Thunder in season 3, and kinda want to try him again, especially now that he has tools for dealing with some of his worst situations.

2 Likes

I’m not a cinder player. Everything he said is right. Inferno isn’t safe on block. His zoning while good doesn’t compare to Kilgore, Fulgore, glacius etc. He’s a hit and run style character. His zoning is designed so he can eventually go in. But hit him once and all his projectiles go away.

most projectiles aren’t shadow counterable. You try and the opponent will be safe in most cases. Save for glacius shatter or something like that. Making a move that’s already -4 on a character who doesn’t have great buttons isn’t a good idea.

Cinder is a high tier character easily. But hes not the candidate for captain brainless like Jago ever was. He’s not that easy to use and his offense gets pretty linear. So while he’s a strong character he’s not in need of any nerfs or buffs.

2 Likes

Let’s not devolve what ha been a pretty civil discussion. Ad hominem attacks never improve the discourse even if they are true. It stands to reason that a Cinder player knows a lot about Cinder. I wouldn’t expect them to keep quiet just because they might be accused of defending their character.

As far as Valoraxe, my personal experiences with him (admittedly limited) have been pretty negative. But the idea that his CB win is anything other than deserved is complete bullshit. You can’t commit fraud in a video game and you can’t cheat. The objective of the tournament is to win the tournament and he did that according to the predetermined rules of the game. People saying otherwise have a distorted view of reality.

4 Likes

Okay, I’ll admit that I got a little defensive. I felt like there was a little bit of condescension in his remark, and I probably took it a little harder than I should, so I will apologize for that.

I do want to engage in civil discussion, but I also feel I have the right to defend my character. I think almost anyone who feels a certain loyalty to a favorite character has reason to come to their defense. I can appreciate the Jago players who feel for him after the adjustment to wind kick, and some of his other changes during this half season.

Inferno is safe if you don’t hold it. If you hold the low heavy version I believe it’s like -7 or -8 (so not punishable at footsies range for the most part, but definitely punishable if they use it in a block string).

I think you guys are probably overreacting to a character doing well in one tournament. A decent character saw a patch that helped him, and now he’s like 8th or 9th in the game or something, and everyone’s freaking out about what they would change.

Much as I love IG and agree with a lot of the stuff they’ve done, this is where I think the experiment of patching KI and being open with the community has hurt the game (something that was hard to see coming at the start); creating a culture of adjustments and patches means that, rather than saying “awesome work finally taking Cinder to the next level” to a player who won a tournament, we’re in here trying to cover our own weaknesses as players and get him adjusted. If a player finally won a huge SFV major with Rashid (Oil King came close recently!), would the SF scene be going to reddit talking about all the problems with Rashid? No, because they know the game they currently have is how the game will be at least for a year-ish. They’d tip their hat to the player that took a strong character to the next level.

I think the game is better overall because of the patches, but our community’s mindset and resilience is weaker. Some day, KI will stop getting patches and there will be a final version of the game, where no amount of suggesting subtle changes (even if they aren’t necessarily bad ideas!) will change the fact that you have to learn to beat this character. And I’m a bit nervous that our community won’t be able to handle that when it comes, and will again blame the game for their own shortcomings rather than get better (like Valoraxe did).

8 Likes

bro gargos is not annoying to fight , cause he has to be smart and work for his damages and PD like crazy like most of the cast, but that thing!!! lol lol i can’t feel tha character since patch PD ANOYING AF, better fight gargos x100 but not that thing!

at least when you lost against gargos you can learn alot and try to find a way to appraoch him. but the other thing even if you can be close hes still safe with INV easy scruby down UP Dp!!! ■■■■ with a flame wall after 8 sec.
im sorry i prefer him before this patch Pd even if he was most evil but at least he has to work hard

DP is never safe…EVER, get that idea out of your head.

If you can only analyze a match and figure out why you lost against certain characters thats a problem

I think people have explained why Cinder really has to work for his damage an innumerable amount of times at this point…

1 Like

Nope nope nope.

There is a gap between the DP and the flame, and the flame itself is -6, leading to a punish on landing if you don’t want to risk trying to interrupt. You can also shadow counter the flame, but it’s probably just provably worse than punishing with jab xx shadow. You should go into training and practice punishing this move.

2 Likes

You just changed the Game. I been crouching short into shadow this whole time but the scaling was terrible :joy:

The scaling is the same as long as the move you punish with is one hit though, right? It’s just a difference of how much you’re getting out of the first-hit bonus.

2 Likes

That’s what i meant. Thank you for the correction. I can punish with a medium button and gets 2/3% more on my opening.

1 Like

If you have a 6 frame move, and you are confident using it as the punish (it’s tighter timing than the 5 frame punish), then you should always use it, yes. It’s even better because your medium buttons probably go far enough to punish Cinder even if the DP hits at max range (sometimes that is out of range of lights), making it an automatic punish. And even better than that is punishing regular DP with a medium xx shadow is pretty reasonable, and the same timing as the fired up version, so you don’t even have to alter your punish depending on whether he is fired up or not.

@IronFlame I agree and also: add to the fact that both versions of inferno can knocked out by simply mashing lights. Most attacks have priority over Cinder’s trailblazer.

so your syaing Cinder doesn’t work hard? brah if you have a characte rwith good zoning abilities you cna hit cinder and fissle out his bombs before they even touch you and if you’re worried about the detonation just block it out until he detonates them or if he’s within range sucker punch him.

Cinder already fights up hill battles with zoning anyway since his main mobilitiy moves can be slapped out by mashing light buttons.