Character strength assessment thread

Neither is a rule.

I have seen people overrating and downrating their mains. Maybe downrating more frequently.

I guess responding that way was rude of me. I meant no offense.

2 Likes

No offense taken bro :wink:

1 Like

Alright, hereā€™s my full evaluation for Kim Wu:

Reward: A-)
High points: She gets a lot of damage and a great setup off of dragon kicks and wall splats. This is even better considering how good her offense is (which Iā€™ll get to later). Her whiff punishes tend to give her a great amount of damage before she can be broken. Her LVL 4 enders and counter breakers are very damaging.
Low points: Kimā€™s damage ender is only really effective if it reaches a high level, and her ender levels donā€™t build quickly so she may not get one even after a counter breaker. Her enders can also potentially put in her in bad positions if the opponent reads correctly.

Neutral: A)
High points: Excellent walk and dash speeds. Great normals and AA on the ground. Great throw range. Arguably some of the best aerials in the entire game (j.MP, j.HP, j.HK). Dragon kicks are great for forcing the opponent to play patient. Dragon katas are great for moving around the stage while still being able to ready your offense. Can parry predictable approaching moves, such as wind kick and slide. Dragons can be used to approach very quickly combined with specials. Firecracker can force some zoners to get in.
Low points: Floaty jump that can be AAā€™d easily on reaction. Some characters can out-footsie her, forcing her take more risks to start offense. Struggles to get in against heavy zoners that can avoid her firecracker reflects. Burning out her hands severely weakens her grounded game.

Offense: S-)
High points: Plenty of amazing normals/specials to use during pressure, many that are plus, quick to start/recover, good-ranged and/or meaty. Amazing throw range and a combo starting throw. Can use dragon katas to frame trap opponents, mess with spacing and mitigate shadow counters. Can cancel her normals into overhead or low, even on whiff when using medium katas. Dragon cancels can surprise opponents at any time.
Low points: Characters with 3 frame attacks can mitigate some of her offense (lt.dragon dance, heavy katas). Nothing to assist/cover her during her offense.

Defense: B+)
High points: Great AA that can lead to damaging juggles. Shadow dragon kick and parry are both very punishing if they land (especially with dragons).
Low points: Shadow dragon kick has short range and can be stuffed by certain characters. Parry has a short window and long recovery, so itā€™s very punishing if baited.

Breakability: A)
Very easy to reset during combos (dragon grasp, plus normals, overhead/low). Kata autos can blend in with kata manuals and firecracker linkers. Dragon grasp linker is hard to break and can be followed up with any manual.

Instinct: B+)
Allows her to keep one of her most valuable tools with her at nearly all times. Dragon cannon can combat zoners and complete mitigate shadow counters.

Versatility: Specialized
Kim has little choice but to play the same way against every character. She has the tools to force other characters to play that game, but if she canā€™t successfully use them, she will struggle.

Comeback Factor: A-)
High points: High damage lvl 4 enders that reward her massively for a well-timed counter breaker. Resource intensive juggles that can reach upwards of 90%. The wild card that is the 2nd hit of shadow dragon kick. Great at resets.
Low points: Struggles to close in on zoners to get the final pixel off. Cannot play aggresively from midrange without dragons.

Overall: B+

At first I thought that said Cinderā€™s defense was B-, and I was about to have a serious ā€œ:open_mouth:ā€ moment. I still think A- is too low, mind you, even taking into account fireflashā€™s pretty legitimate deficiencies (losing trades, etc).

Cinder has a down+up invincible reversal that is very difficult to make miss unless youā€™re using a scienced setup, one that also situationally combos, and on top of that he has what Iā€™d consider to be the best backdash in the game. Cinder has A+ defense at a minimum IMO - fireflashā€™s gaps might keep it from being S tier, but Cinder can blow up frame traps harder than just about anyone in the game, and you have to typically be specifically looking for fireflash to beat it. He gets a lot of mileage out of people having to respect that at any moment he can opt for invincible reversal, and that lets him get out of a lot of pressure that heā€™d otherwise have to hold.

1 Like

Thereā€™s something higher that A tier in this? Cause thatā€™s not what Iā€™m doing here.

His defense is good, no doubt, but best-in-the-game A+ status? Nah.

I just did it that way cause I was cribbing stuff from the BB thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

S tier is above A tier.

RULZ LIST PLZ :sob:

People have been using S to showcase best in show sort of stuff, at least earlier in the thread.

Oh. Oops.

Can I do Z rank because DBZ? :stuck_out_tongue:

No.

Also: Sonic confirmed not to have read anyone elseā€™s assessment Kappa

5 Likes

EDIT: Being real though this is basically ā€œWall of Text: The Threadā€ so I would probably not have enough brain power to do my homework after reading through it.

EDIT2: Just read through the whole thing. I agree with most of it.

5 Likes

Lol. Well, actually talking about game mechanics takes a bit of thought. :-p

There are certainly more than enough ā€œKI IS DEAD! cue wailingā€ missives floating around if you just want some lighter reading before homework though :joy:

Iā€™d encourage you to poke through it all whenever you get the time though - I think itā€™s always interesting to discuss the nuances of characters and their toolsets :slight_smile:

Already 8 hours ahead of you lol

+15

And it does 18% raw, with potential damage left over, and it can be juggled after with dragons for 23%+

Yup, itā€™s pretty terrible.

Hehā€¦youā€™re the one who gave Kim a B in defense. Though I guess if you were going off an ā€œA is topsā€, that makes sense?

In the context of the scale as given (C-S), I think Iā€™d (very) generally break down the defense tiers as follows:

C: no available reversal options that can stuff both strikes and throws, limited backdash
B: metered invincible reversal options, functional backdash
A: metered invincible reversals, reversals with special properties (follow-up, difficult to punish), and good backdashes
S: meterless invincible reversal options, at least functional backdash

With other factors like AAā€™s, quality of backdashes, and special properties providing additional metrics to bring the base rating up or down. Iā€™d personally call Kim a solid A/A-. She has a metered reversal that, while not great, has quite a bit of potential once Kim has dragons stocked. Sheā€™s also got a good backdash, and while her omni-counter might be tough-ish to time, it is nonetheless a significant factor that must be taken into account when most opponents are mounting their offense. Her shadow counter still isnā€™t great, but it seems to work in most places now from my experience, so I donā€™t consider that too much of an anchor on her these days.

1 Like

Other facts about Cinderā€™s DP:

• because it is slower it auto-corrects well, beating lots of canned setups that work on 3f DPs
  • when fired up is only -6 on block, which is unpunishable from some ranges and at worst will get you hit with a jab punish for minimal damage
  • you get away with non-fired up DPs a lot more because people wait for the pillar and freak out, even if no pillar is coming (a function of it being almost impossible to tell when Cinder is fired up half the time + the speed of KI)
  • fired up version leads to a full combo, which is pretty serious for a meterless DP
3 Likes

I would give a higher ranking than B to Cinderā€™s Reward.

Sure, he has low damage, but IMO burnout mechanic deserves more. It decreases his opponent defense (or at least makes it riskier), so Cinderā€™s offense is boosted. The burnout makes his oponent offense and neutral weaker (or risky), boosting Cinderā€™s defense and neutral. It also subsequently boosts his reward, since his combos deal more damage and he can inflict longer/alternative burnouts.

It even can situationaly set up from a regular throw!

And with the new OTG properties of his pyrobombs, he can continue a combo after a knockdown. Only 3 characters can do that, and Cinder is the only one who is unbreakable when performing the OTG hit, which leads to a juggle that can start from any strenght, so itā€™s not a ā€œalways break heaviesā€ like Tusk.

Thatā€™s 3 outcomes for a regular throw: setup, burnout and juggle.

Sure, each of this options is situational, but all Cinderā€™s tools are situationals. He has options which demand fast and creative thinking, and that can work in his favor

I was being sarcastic.

I guess I could make defense a B+, but Iā€™m telling you guys thatā€™s one of her most prominent downsides IMO.

EDIT: Changed reward to A- for Cinder.

WHY AM I LETTING YOU GUYS CHANGE MY MIND :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I donā€™t know which rating I would give to Kim in Defense, but It would be B+ or A-.

Pros:
Dragon cancels can save her to be punished, Tiny hurtbox, decent backdash, omni-counter which can situationally lead to combo, metered reversal which deals TONS of damage and can situationally lead to combo

Cons:
Doesnā€™t have meterless reversal, not great shadow counter, floaty jumpā€¦

Which characters would have B rating and which ones A rating? Is Kim in the league of the former or the latters?