Character strength assessment thread

So, shoutouts to Xie’s BBCS:EX tier list discussion thread from back in the day, because I’m gonna bite that format for this.

Basically what I’d like this thread to be is a collection of each player’s take on the strength of their character in various aspects of the game. I think it’ll keep the thread as clean as possible to have a predetermined format for these posts, being a list of parameters, followed by a letter ranking ranging from C- to S+, and then a short text blurb justifying your ranking, based on personal experience and the objective qualities of the character. The parameters are:

• Reward: Reward essentially covers whatever you get when you do something correctly with your character, i.e. successfully mixing up the opponent, whiff punishing, applying pressure. This covers obvious things such as damage and shadow meter, as well as things like future mixup opportunities and denying the opponent’s resources. If a character can create a large advantage in any of those categories based on few good decisions, they’ll be ranked high here.

• Neutral: Neutral is exactly what it says on the tin. This is an assessment of how successful your character is when they’re outside pressure range with no frame advantage. Strong normals, safe advancing specials, projectiles, and good mobility contribute to a character having strong neutral. If a character can turn a situation with no advantages to one where they have an advantage easily, they’ll be ranked high here.

• Offense: Offense covers the full spectrum of pressure, mixups, okizeme, and safety on all of the above. Offense is a measure of how your character can turn an advantaged situation into damage or other reward. If a character can easily open the opponent up or is difficult to take your turn back from, they’ll be ranked high here.

• Defense: Defense is, in essence, your character’s ability to nullify an opponent’s offensive advantage. Reversals, defensive pokes, low and high profile moves, a good backdash, and the ability to make any of those options safe all contribute to strong defense. If a character feels difficult to pressure or mix up due to their available options, they’ll be ranked high here.

• Breakability: Due to the unique nature of KI I feel it’s necessary to have this as a separate parameter from offense. Breakability covers three things primarily: the difficulty of breaking a character’s combos, their ability to reset while in combo, and their ability to get damage without exposing themselves too much to the breaker game. If a character has strong tools to extend their offense without an ender once they’ve opened the opponent up, they’ll be ranked high here.

• Instinct: This simply ranks how strong a character’s instinct is, and how it enhances the other aspects of the character. In this section you should note how instinct changes the letter ranking of their other parameters. A character who sees a large overall increase in power, either spread over several parameters or as a sharp increase in one, will rank high here.

• Versatility: This won’t be a letter ranking, but one of the following: Very specialized / Specialized / Versatile / Very versatile. This essentially covers your character’s breadth of options and ability to alter their gameplan based on the matchup. This isn’t necessarily a measure of a character’s strength, as a highly specialized character may excel so strongly in their area that they’re still dominant.

• Comeback Factor: Again, not necessarily a measure of a character’s strength, as some characters will have poor comeback ability but will be good at avoiding being put in situations where they’ll need to make comebacks. This covers a character’s ability to reverse a losing situation, i.e. being in danger when your opponent has just lost their first life bar.

• Overall: The total strength of the character based on parameters of reward, neutral, offense, defense, breakability, and instinct. Characters that are strong in all of these areas or exceptional in several of them will rank high here.

To maintain clarity in the discussion I would also ask that if you’re going to respond to another user’s post you do so starting with a quote of exactly what you’re responding to, followed by whether you agree/disagree/have questions/have answers, then the rest of your post.

I think it would be beneficial for community knowledge for strong players like @STORM179 with hisako, @F3Sleep with arbiter/gargos, etc to respond with their take on how each of their characters’ strengths rank, which is sort of the main reason I’m making this thread. Do keep in mind: this isn’t an attempt to build a tier list, as that’s based on matchups; rather, the goal is assessing each character individually.

As an example, I’ll start with my rankings for my main:

[details=Climax’s fulgore rankings]

• Reward: B- Fulgore’s damage/shadow enders are pretty good, but his combo trait is not useful for adding damage to combos, and due to his unique meter design he will have shadow available to juice up lockouts less often than other characters. In addition, his doubles and linkers both do lower-than-normal damage. As far as building a meter advantage, fulgore’s best pressure and neutral tools all hinder his ability to generate meter. However, once he’s built up the resources for it hype beam is a highly damaging option, and he has a strong one-chance combo from his shadow laser opener with full meter.

• Neutral: S- Fulgore’s neutral is among the best in the game. His normals, while strictly worse than a good handful of other characters, are still great, and he has a good approach in both blade dash and axis slash. With resources, his zoning game is smothering, being able to trap the opponent in situations where no option seems like a good one. His mobility is also good with excellent dashes and increased mobility as he builds resources, and with full bar essentially any whiff is unsafe against him due to the incredible power of hype beam. He also has an invincible AA he can cancel into from zoning tools, making jumps very weak vs him. However, his strongest neutral tools cost him resources, either pips or reactor speed, which are precious to him.

• Offense: A+ If he’s willing to spend resources, fulgore can do as many as 3 tight frame traps in a row, making it very difficult to know when you can take your turn back from him. In addition his okizeme is among the best in the game with truly unreactable mixups that lead to full combos off almost any knockdown. He also has a cancellable overhead, which can seemingly come out of nowhere in his pressure despite its short range. His pressure is also some of the hardest in the game to shadow counter. Like his neutral game, though, fulgore’s best offensive tools drain his resources and slow his reactor speed.

• Defense: S- Fulgore’s DP is likely the second best reversal in the game next to Jago’s DP, and situationally can be better than Jago’s. He also has a strong backdash with or without meter buffs to get him out of bad situations. However, his access to shadow counters is more limited than the rest of the cast, making him more susceptible to specific kinds of offense.

• Breakability: B- Fulgore has no special options to make his combos harder to break, but he can manual anything he wants from his laser opener and both teleport and overhead are cheeky options he can bring out during a combo to reset damage scaling. Notably, his lack of flipout means his mixup on launcher ender is somewhat weak as his best options come from heavy moves.

• Instinct: A- Fulgore’s instinct rapidly builds meter for him, but perhaps even more importantly it prevents his energy system moves from dropping his reactor speed, enhancing his neutral (S+) and offense (S-) and possibly increasing his reward (B) depending on how much meter he starts with and how much he spends on neutral/offense. However, his instinct does not make any of those things really any stronger, it just allows him to use them without their normal limits.

• Versatility: Versatile. Fulgore is a hybrid zoner/rushdown character, but to play him properly you need to have mastery of both.

• Comeback factor: B- While hype beam is an incredibly powerful momentum-reversing tool, he will often not have access to it, and his otherwise low damage output means that his comebacks often depend on him maintaining a streak of momentum for an extended period of time.

• Overall: S Fulgore excels in essentially every area except damage, with the only thing holding him back from running away with the game being his unique meter system. Overall he’s an extremely powerful character, but he requires some level of discipline and planning to play effectively without ending up high and dry with no meter the whole match.[/details]

10 Likes

I like this a lot. Gonna put here the main points (so everyone can copy&paste them), and I’m posting my analysis for Aganos, Gargos and Eyedol (maybe not all at the same time, be patient xD )

-Reward:
-Neutral:
-Offense:
-Defense:
-Breakability:
-Instinct:
-Versatibility:
-Comeback factor:
-Overall:

4 Likes

Aganos

-Reward: A-. Aganos has somewhat low damage in raw meterless combos, but his damage is very good if he spends a shadow bar or he has walls set ups. Overall, he benefits a lot from each ender, since his most usual ones(Resources and knockdown) also allows him to some setups(setting walls, mixups…), being the others more suited to wallcrashing or putting his opponent between him and a wall. If he has resources, his reward is probably bigger, but if he doesn’t he is probably lower. How much time he spends in each situation is heavily MU dependant.

-Neutral: B+. Again, his resourcers are very important here. With chunks, he can get great neutral control and condicionate his opponent. Even better with a peacemaker. Unfortunetly for him, without resources his space control is much worse. Although he has bad mobility and not very safe specials, his unique mechanic of placing walls limitates his opponent runaway game, and placing himself at the range of his c.HK and MP is hard to deal, since he can use his armor to challenge otherwise sucessful buttons/specials.

-Offense: C+ Aganos relies in his armor to threat pushing buttons from his opponent, and although he is somewhat unsafe in many moves, this can help him to win where other characters fails. But his mid range mix up game it’s a bit meh, so he has to relie in throws and ocassional surprise overheads/hard knockdowns, so he has fewer opportunities to enter in the combo game

-Defense: C+. While chunked, it’s hard for some characters to get in, but his lack of true reversal(S.Ruin is throwable, S.Pulverize is not hit invul) makes him very weak on wake up, and his size makes him also weak to cross ups.

-Breakability: C-. Probably the easiest character to break. His autodoubles are very easy to identify, his shadow linkers are not hard to break either, his peacemaker target combo is breakable in the third hit, has below average juggling game, and all his peacemaker recaptures are breakable with the same button.

-Instinct: B. His Instinct gives him instant access to his peacemaker and replenish it, and while holding his peacemaker he has acces to an unreactable low, an unreactable overhead, and an untechable throw, so his offense is better(B), and his Neutral is better(A+), due his better reach, high priority projectile, easy access to new chunks, and quick walls placement.

-Versatibility: Versatile. In his peak momentum, Aganos can play armored rush down or switch to a non traditional zoning, covering lots of space with his payload assault, although he has to keep his chunks to mantain this. Placing a wall helps this, condicinating his opponent.

-Comeback factor: B-. Under certain circustances, a good read can lead to huge damage(a good shadow ruin into a wall), but if he is meterless and without chunks, he has low chances to revert a fight against an offensive opponent. His somewhat predictable offense can be taken advantage by smart opponents, since his options to deal preassure are a bit limited

-Overall: B. Aganos is a very hard to analyze character, since his access to his resources are key for the battle. Overall, if he gets momentum, is very hard to stop, since most reversals can be ignored by his armor, he can ignore some situations which other characters have to respect, and his opponent must play very differently from his usual gameplan. But, once he loses his momentum, he is in big troubles, due his bad defense and a bit linear offense. Some MUs are very loopsided during particular moments of the fight, both in his favor and against him. Also he is not easy to use, so it takes some time to take advantage of his tools.

3 Likes

I’ll give Mira a shot, seeing as I’ve been playing her a lot recently

Reward: S+ When Mira opens you up, all of her hard work finally pays off. If she has been accumulating blood health in order to open you up, this is her chance to get it back with embrace linkers (which are currently stronger than ever) and embrace resets or enders. If she didn’t need to spend health to open you up, then she gets to go nuts and use blood to do wicked damage. Essentially, she gets to do whatever she needs to relative to her current health pool.

Neutral: S- While her walk speed is a little slow, her dashes are great her aerial mobility is on par with Sadira and Cinder. With StHP and BHP she has access to normals that are plus on block and MP gives her a remarkable two hitting normal with range to spare. Blood seekers are good for making an approach safe, but don’t do enough damage to make them useful for zoning. Mira is pretty darn slippery in the neutral, making her hard to pin down.

Offense: S- Mira has rush down for every occasion. She has left right mix-ups with her air mobility, mist form, and close range slow moving blood seekers. She has safe pressure with heavy normals and trephine. She has high low mix-ups with reaping that cannot be blocked on reaction. The only major kinks in her offense are that they cost health and they can almost always be shadow countered reliably, even her aerial assaults (I know from experience).

Defense: B- With Mist form being her only reliable wake up option, Mira can struggle many aspects of defense. Mist form costs health and can be baited, Shadow reaping isn’t entirely invincible, and her anti-air game is below average.

Breakability:B While Mira has some pretty fast auto-doubles and light linkers, She is often easy to break if she is going for big damage or big health regen. Reaping does a ton of damage but is reactable at most strengths while even the embrace linker can be broken fairly easily. She has a recapture with Heavy Reaping, But it is also very easy to break. If Mira doesn’t use reaping linkers, then she is on par with most of the cast in terms of breakability.

Instinct: S- Considering how easily Mira can kill herself early, she doesn’t always get two instinct modes in a match. But when she gets it, it can really hurt. The constant pressure of a bat respawning makes pressure strings Much harder to escape and shadow counter. The Vampire mist not only allows Mira to go crazy but builds potential damage on the opponent. The ability for Mira to spend her blood much more freely is highly potent and should scare anyone.

Versatility: Very Versatile Mira can spend her health on just about anything and excel in that category. While blood seekers don’t do great damage, they can zone someone out long enough to frustrate them into taking risks they ordinarily wouldn’t. Her offense can be custom tailored to her opponents weaknesses so she can take advantage of any hole in their defense.

Comeback factor: B If Mira has at least 30% health left, a comeback is very possible. If she is able to bring the pain and keep her life in check, she will do more than enough damage to regain the upper hand. Her instinct is perfect for comebacks as it lets her spend blood without much consequence. However if her health is low enough, a comeback is almost impossible. Once bellow 30% or so, she can’t afford to use blood health reliably as it will put her in the danger zone and she may not get the chance to get it back. When Mira can’t spend blood on anything, she has only mid damage, no deffense, no pressure, and no safe approach.

Overall: A+ Mira is a highly versatile character that can take advantage of the current state of the match. If she is high on health than she gets to go crazy with mix-ups, pressure, and the highest damage output in the cast. Health can be fairly easy to manage if you have enough to work with, allowing her to take bigger risks. Embrace can be used inside or outside of a combo, making sure that your offense can always give you health back as well. If you cannot manage health however, you are killing yourself and doing your opponents job for them. When Mira’s health is low enough, she loses most of her potency and becomes far less scary, having to regain health as quickly as she spends it. As long as you manage your health correctly, Mira is potentially one of the most dangerous characters in KI. But managing health is easier said then done.

4 Likes

Well… @F3Sleep I think i can speak for the community in whole that we would love to se your analysis on Arbiter, Aria and Kan-Ra. Care to share your opinion?

Also, might I add to the main post. Defense is hard to get down. Kan-Ra has seemingly has a lot of defense options but its more of a guessing game. If you want to hit a clutch, your opponent has to either jump and you pull him out of the air or you have to risk hitting one on the ground. His bugs help with this, keeping your opponent in place, but if they are smart they will just jump into the bugs and you’ll get minimal damage.

So please, keep in mind how Niche Kan-Ra is in general. The decision making, mind games, and guesses you need to make are out of this world.
I guess thats part of what makes him crazy eh? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I disagree with that ranking. I feel that the only appropriate ranking for Mira is S+ when it comes to reward; her damage in combos is by far the highest in the game if she extends them, her normal one-bar one-chance combo is by far the strongest in the game, and her command grabs can swing the match’s advantage back to her favor very quickly.

Also disagree with this; the strength of the ability to approach from a high horizontal angle in a game where most characters are fairly grounded can’t be overstated, and bats as a tool to create approach opportunities are very strong. B+ seems like a ranking that greatly underestimates just how difficult a character mira is for her opponent to control.

Some other stuff seems somewhat iffy but those are what stood out the most.

EDIT: WHOOPS I FORGOT ABOUT RAAM HAHA raam should probably be the character representing the C- here

2 Likes

Agree, S or S+

Also agree. Neutral for Mira it’s more like A+/S- to me. Great mobility, good reach, low profile advancing special, supreme air mobility, mist form, a slow projectile which can cover your approaches…

1 Like

Well what can I say, I don’t know the character inside and out like you guys do. I’m also a bit hesitant to give higher rankings.

1 Like

No problem mate, friendly discussion leads to better understanding of the game :slight_smile:
Don’t be afraid of giving a character a high(or low) ranking, this is mostly opinions. We can disagree in something, but is OK if we have diferent opinions :slight_smile:

Made some edits to Mira breakdown based on feedback.

1 Like

I will read and answer this when I get back home, I’m way too active right now preparing for scr with this massive headache ugh

1 Like

Gargos

-Reward: S-. Although Gargos is not a big damage character like Mira, when he opens you he can get lots of rewards: From a devil divide command grab/ender, he can get up to 4 outcomes(Knockdown for setups and minions, damage, meter steal and resets). He can choose between all his enders depending the fight, getting meter when he needs it(or when he wants the opponent to not have it), multiple setups, damage… Also if he spends meter into shadow devil divide, his damage it’s pretty respectable.

-Neutral: A+. Gargos has enough tools to control the neutral. A far reaching sweep, decent situational anti airs(M. Reckoning, c.HP, HK, j. HK, H devil divide…), good air movement, a situationally safe advancing move(reckoning), a command grab with good reach, ranged combos… And that without counting with his minions, who give him access to even more control. Without minions and at certain ranges, some characters can give him a hard time, so he has to be careful

-Offense: S-. At his peak momentum, Gargos can just put too much stuff on screen. Portal punchs for each occasion, low into stagger/command grab setups, a fast command grab, good left/right mixups due his quad jump… and if you have your minions out, it’s a total madness.

-Defense: C-. Gargos weak point. Bad walkspeed, an ok but not great backdash, no good reversal, huge hurtbox… Also his Instinct can work against him at defense, since he can’t block, making him weak to good heavy normals. Without minions covering him(and sometimes, even with them), Gargos’ defense it’s probably the worst of the game.

-Breakability: B+. Although he only has 3 Autodoubles, he has some reset potential thanks to Devil divide and his minions, so dropping a combo with a minion up close can lead to interesting setups, even when the minion attack is blocked. Situational, but it can be really dirty if used correctly.

-Instinct: B. His instinct is really unique, because although it gives him infinite armor and a free break, makes him unable to block and his mobility is heavily reduced. Sometimes it’s vey useful, while others it can be option selected.

-Versatibility: Very versatile. Gargos can play good keep away game, using his long reaching normals, portal punchs and minions to keep his opponent at bay, or use them to cover his attack, making him safer, and setting good mix up games, like using his quad jump for cross ups, or his command grab for setups, damage or anything he wants

-Comeback factor: B+. Gargos has good comeback factor with resources, controlling the fight pace at his will. He has harder times without meter, since he has to commit risk to open a defensive opponent without meter.

-Overall: A. Gargos is a character who is confortable to control the match pace, harassing his rivals with lots of stuff on screen. If he gets momentum, he can do a lot of damage without being easily stoppable. But his defense is really bad, and if he gets knocked down without resources, he is in big problems. Overall Gargos wants to have the initiative and make quickly transitions between offense and conservative play. He is also difficult to play at his peak level, so he will require more time than other characters to master

4 Likes

This is a great thread and I hope people keep it open and discussive and don’t start whining and bickering.

The only metric I’d like to add is an “ease of use” measure. So, Mira and Aganos are challenging to use, and Fulgore can be too. Other characters are much easier in their game plan. I’d like to se that rated too.

1 Like

Interesting topic! Here’s my take for Hisako:

-Reward: A+
Hisako is generally rewarded very strongly for being right in a given situation. Correct defensive guesses typically lead to full combo (counter, shadow counter, full wrath influence) or hard knockdown into setup at worst (low-wrath influence). Given that she is very dangerous in both the combo game (hard to break, high meterless damage, high reset potential) and on knockdown (very potent okizeme), these rewards are significant. On offense, correct guesses generally lead to no less than 10% raw damage into setup (only exception being possession, which does not allow a setup), with most of her options either giving combo opportunities or hard knockdowns. Within the combo game, correct resets yield significant damage boosts, as her best reset tools typically do around 12-15% raw, and her combo damage in general is pretty high.

-Neutral: A
Hisako has good tools for managing the neutral, with her counter options generally providing the balance for things that she isn’t so good at. She has very strong pokes, including perhaps the fastest and farthest low normal options in the game. Cannot generally be zoned effectively due to her teleport, dash speed/low profile, and ability to cover large amounts of space with her wall jump. Because of how air-ORZ changes her jump arc, Hisako can also be very difficult to AA, particularly if you have to rely on normals to do so. She is limited in the neutral by having to manage her wrath - she cannot “go nuts” without paying for it in reduced offensive options, which is important given that her special options are typically unsafe. She isn’t terribly good at maintaining pressure once her offense has been blocked/avoided however; if she doesn’t open you up it is generally your turn.

-Offense: A+
It is my personal belief that Hisako has some of the most potent okizeme in the game. She excels at making an opponent feel like everything they do defensively is a mistake. Also has the ability to maintain pressure while completely invalidating shadow counters and most DP’s, and because she has command grabs Hisako can punish the opponent for blocking. The character in general is incredibly strong at conditioning the opponent to respond a certain way defensively, and then punishing that response for full-combo damage, which again, is pretty high. Only thing that keeps her from offensive S tier is that she does have to guess on offense, and if she guessed wrong she usually just gave up her turn, and in many cases will be flat-out punishable.

-Defense: B-
Hisako’s one true weakness, and why I believe she hasn’t typically done better in competition. For all intents and purposes, Hisako has a non-functional backdash, and thus no capacity to situationally run away from pressure (descent is about as slow and not invincible at all, so it isn’t a substitute for this either). Counter is, all things considered, a generally bad reversal, losing to most offensive options (high/low, throw, neutral jump, baits); accordingly Hisako is very weak on knockdown. Notwithstanding its limitations though, counter is also what keeps her defense from being C tier. It leads into full combo when you are right, and because of that potency its mere existence serves to funnel offense in predictable and punishable ways. Counter makes people afraid, and because they’re afraid they make less than optimal decisions in their pressure game that a good Hisako player can exploit.

-Breakability: S
Hisako has a pretty well deserved reputation for being difficult to break. It is easy for players unfamiliar with her to get “lost” within her combos. She has one of the best combo traits in the game, and generates above-average timing lockouts as a result. While her AD’s are notably hard to break however, her linkers are pretty reactable, with the medium strengths of both linkers being pretty reactable in high level play. Also has limited manual options coming off her openers, although this is somewhat balanced by her ability to do super-delayed linkers after opener. Hisako’s true strength in the combo game comes from her reset capacity. Hisako has a variety of viable, unreactable reset options at virtually every point in the combo, which combines with her general combo-game strength to form a very nasty offensive mix. She can reset with a low, an overhead, and a command grab, and because none of these options are reactable the opponent simply has to guess and hope for the best. And because their mental stack is consumed by the reset meta, Hisako often gets to slip fully reactable shenanigans into her combo. Hisako is incredibly dangerous within combo, with her only “limitations” being non-spectacular metered damage and moderately easy to break linkers.

-Instinct: A+
While not incredibly potent in neutral, Hisako’s instinct is one of the best to use defensively (general maxim of “if you’re standing next to Hisako when she pops instinct, you just got comboed”), and has significant offensive potential. Omni-counter is good for “checking” characters, but the real strength of her instinct is the myriad offensive reset options it opens up. While in instinct, all Hisako’s unreactable reset options lead into combo, and because she doesn’t have to manage wrath, she no longer has to “pace” her pressure. Hisako can do insane damage in a very short amount of time while she’s in instinct. Also gains freestyle combo options, and while I think these are pretty suboptimal damage wise, they do have lockout implications that can be used to advantage.

-Versatility: Specialized
While she’s capable of dealing with most of the things the cast can throw at her, Hisako’s own gameplan is pretty consistent. You won’t be zoning with her, and while it can be wise to slow-play the neutral, in general you’re not going to pull back once you’ve gotten the knockdown. Hisako varies her offense in the micro sense only - her macro strategy adheres to a pretty stable baseline.

-Comeback factor: S-
Because of both how good her instinct is defensively and how potent it makes her combo game, I believe Hisako has incredible potential to turn a fight around. She has the capacity to melt a lifebar even without meter, and great mid-combo and corner reset options are available even outside of instinct. If Hisako is still standing, she can win.

-Overall: A+
Hisako is an incredibly strong character, hampered only by her weakness on knockdown and her inability to reliably force an opponent to respect her. She does great damage without meter, which allows her to use it elsewhere in the neutral and for resets, and she plays the combo game better than most of the cast. Excels with players who are good at conditioning and sussing out player tendencies, and benefits from thoughtful and managed play. By no means the best character in the game (in truth, she rarely wins MU’s “on paper”), but more than capable of hanging with the best.

5 Likes

I would disagree here, and I would rate Hisako Neutral with a S- grade. Why? Because unlike most of the rest of the cast, situationally, she can’t be shadow countered. If she has warth, she can cancel her attacks into Counter, so many opponents will hesitate to stop her with this. At all effects, this boosts both her neutral and Offensive game, and somehow her defensive game. I agree in everything you said about her and the ratings you gave her, but I would put her neutral in S- rating.

1 Like

I disagree, I think ease of use is a good thing to measure when talking about which characters a new player might be interested in, but it’s not really that relevant to a discussion of a character’s strengths. Whether a character is easy is also going to be very subjective based on the player and what their particular skills as a player are tailored toward.

If I would have to add a new measure, I would add “Meterless”, as a way to measure how dependant is a character from his meter. Special resources, like Aganos Chunks, Gargos Minions or Hisako Warth would be here too

I think it’s useful beyond just new players. For example, everyone agrees that Fulgore is top tier but people don’t use him because of his complex gameplay. Cinder is a complex, juggle based character and that’s important to understand about him. Wulf has a pretty simple rushdown gameplan and that’s important to know - regardless of your skill level.

And I guess I would push back against this, because contrary to what most people feel or seem to think, Hisako doesn’t unilaterally get to control this metric. If Hisako always has full wrath, it is because the opponent is letting her have full wrath - he isn’t pressing the issue when she tries to sit back and regen, isn’t making her block things or back off or dash, etc.

Fulgore will almost always have at least a single pip to cancel with, Jago will always have the option to DP after something negative, Mira can basically always airdash. Hisako only gets to pull her dirtiest offensive shenanigans if you are allowing her the freedom to regenerate her wrath, and her reliance on it forces her offense to have a very defined cadence. That cadence is not something she can dictate, however - she has to simply hope that the opponent is willing to also sit back and let her refill. That is a big weakness, as without sufficient wrath nearly everything she does is punishable.

Hisako is strong in the neutral - she is not overwhelming, nor does she get to unilaterally drive the pace of the fight in neutral. She is reactive to a large extent, and if the opponent isn’t giving her the license to do it, she isn’t going to have the resources to utilize her best neutral tricks.

1 Like