Character Idea Showcase (Up Next: Daisuke, the Haunted Armor)

Then I will rename him to Calvin.

But yeah, I had a feeling something like that might happen. I’m open to retooling his story, so I’ll probably get to that at some point.

I voted for Gigante, Cassidy, Reiketsu, Yakone, Sinew, Zevnir, Crowley & Foehn.

I’d love to just be able to do them all eventually, to be honest. Only thing holding me back is that I don’t want to spend too much commissioning my friend all at once. Glad to give them money, but I also gotta put money in other places, you know?

What do u mean?

When I commission my friend for some visual representations of the characters, I’m not gonna be able to do that 20+ times over. Too costly for this poor fool. I could still present the other stuff, but I feel being able to see them would help a lot more.

R u saying u can’t take any more characters on your list? KI is infinite.

But… How would u see them?

No, there’s definitely more room for characters. I’m just saying that I went with the idea showcasing 8 of the 20 I planned because I want to have a depiction of them as something concrete, but doing 20 or more of those would cost more than I’d be able to afford at the moment and 8’s a good fighting game number. So I went with that.

Ah!

I get it now. I was just saying what I picked from your slot. That’s all.

Anyway, what do you think of my detective & the mad scientist? The mad scientist is the problem. Kan-Ra feels Shang Tsung to me, and the mad scientist could have some Quan Chi vibes but more Mister Sinister.

Following Darkstalkers I feel…

• Sabrewulf (Jon Talbain)
  • Cinder (Pyron)
  • Kan-Ra (Anakaris)

If there was a zombie character, I’d feel for Lord Raptor, since he has that rockstar vibe. KI don’t have a rockstar yet.

I’m digging the archer idea. But how would it work? Would it be magical or something else? Are there any inuit tribes that still exist and use bows?

Yakone herself is not part of an Inuit tribe. She is simply of Inuit descent, Nunatamiut to be exact. Grew up in Fort Nelson, British Columbia. The bow is an ancestral weapon that is given great power when Yakone sets out and encounters the bear spirit, Tornarssuk. Yakone herself is also given immense arcane power, allowing her to control elemental magic concerning fire, ice and lightning. She can use the magic is various ways, such as augmenting her arrows.

She’s interesting. Her gameplay & concept must have something like…

• Hawkeye
  • Green Arrow
  • Kung Jin
  • Legolas
  • and… Katniss Everdeen!

But for Gigante, you got the wrestler. Following Zangief, King, Wolf Hawkfield, Bass Armstrong, El Fuerte, etc. Does this wrestler have a connection to Aztec myths - deities? Like Quetzalcoatl? He must possess an ancient power from a luchadore mask.

Kat’s a mercenary. What kind of mercenary is she? Is she the “Kano” of KI?

Yakone’s gameplay will most likely be gone over in greater detail since it seems more than likely that she will be in the chosen 8.

As for Gigante, he’s got a lotta Alex in him, with some Noob Saibot snuck in there. The spirit that watches over him claims to be a messenger of Tlaloc, Aztec god of rain.

Kat actually does have a little bit of Kano in her kit, though her whole aesthetic is more Madworld/Anarchy Reigns.

Sounds interesting. Kat can be a suitable rival for Orchid. Like Sonya-Kano archenemies.

I had an idea for an Ultratech agent, a female, but blonde like Sonya, Nina Williams & Jill Valentine in RE5. She can be of someone like Black Widow & Silver Sable. Maybe with touches of Catwoman, Black Cat, Cheetah & Felicia. That would’ve been a rival for Orchid.

For Reiketsu, a former Yakuza assassin turned cyborg ninja’s cool. Does he wield a kusarigama? That would be his main weapon.

Brutus, a minotaur? Does he wield the labrys axe? Aganos is already a golem though.

I checked out your Ultratech scientist: Vyle. Does she have a full name? Is she something like Mister Sinister & the other mad scientists from fiction? My detective can be a suitable rival for her. She can be somewhat of KI’s “Quan Chi”.

Your tree “Xylem”, I thought of a plant character based on Poison Ivy. But I guess a plant character’s already taken.

At least you got a luchadore in there. I thought Tusk is the “Alex” of KI. Maybe there’s a chance for another wrestler can join in. Someone based off of WWE, except someone whose the bad guy. A rival for TJ Combo. Like Craig Marduk, this guy was expelled from the professional ranks for manslaughter on his opponents. Bitter against his peers & society, his wrath consumed his soul. When he learned of Ultratech giving TJ Combo bionics once and losing his title and fame, he went to the corporation for enhancements of his own. They gave him experimental venom that enhanced his strength. It felt like a drug to him, but made him extremely violent. But despite that, he became one of Ultratech’s bodyguards. His target is TJ Combo.

Anyway… KI could have some Darkstalkers feel.

• Morrigan (Succubus)
  • Demitri (Vampire) - Mira (possibly)
  • Jon Talbain (Werewolf/Lycan) - Sabrewulf
  • Felicia (Catwoman)
  • Rikuo (Merman/Gillman)
  • Victor (Frankenstein)
  • Anakaris (Mummy) - Kan-Ra
  • Bishamon (Cursed Samurai)
  • Lord Raptor (Ghoul/Zombie)
  • Sasquatch (Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Cryptid)
  • Pyron (Fire Alien) - Cinder
  • Huitzil (Robot)
  • Donovan Baine (Dhampir)
  • Hsien-Ko (Jiangshi)
  • Lilith (Succubus)
  • Q-Bee (Soul/Demon Bee)
  • Baby Bonnie Hood (Human/Hunter)
  • Jedah Dohma (Demon/Grim Reaper)

Power Stone

• Edward Falcon
  • Ryoma
  • Rouge
  • Ayame
  • Wang Tang
  • Gunrock
  • Galuda
  • Jack/Killer Clown
  • Accel
  • Julia Whitepearl
  • Gourmand
  • Pete
  • Kraken
  • Valgas

Since Riptor is a cybernetic raptor. How about an insect-human hybrid. Since Stun the Insect, Q-Bee & D’Vorah. Plus Kha’zix.

Ultratech splices various insect DNA with human DNA. A bee’s stinger, a mantis’ slicer, centipede stretching, beetle armor, grasshopper legs to jump and firefly’s light.

Reiketsu uses a weapon very similar to a high frequency blade, since a lot of his inspiration comes from MGR, Strider and Vega (Claw). He’s got a lot more up his sleeve than just that though.

As for Brutus, he just uses his brute strength. And while he and Aganos are both golems, they differ greatly from one another. Much like ARIA and Fulgore are both robots, but quite different.

Jillian Bukowski is the name of the woman who becomes Vyle. She’s the former lead researcher of Project Cinder and is UltraTech’s go-to when it comes to augmenting human DNA.

I’ve seen people talk about an insect kinda character, but I neglected to have one in my line-up. So that one’s all you. But I’m going to give you a challenge with this one.

You usually post various sources of inspiration for a character’s gameplay, which is a good start. However, what I’m going to challenge you to do is make a hypothetical movelist for the character. A combo trait, a unique trait, a couple command normals, 3 or 4 special moves and an Instinct. It can seem like a lot, but it’s rather fun when you get into the swing of it.

Time for a bit of a twist: there’s another poll.

This poll http://www.strawpoll.me/11231828 is to determine a 9th character that occupies a sort of “boss” status. With this, we got:

Andrey, the Vampire Lord: the New Tsar, leader of The Coven. Holds a deep-seated resentment for humanity and seeks to exterminate mankind.

Southwick, the Shadow Knight: The corpse of Sir Southwick the Red possessed by a remnant of Gargos. Looks to regain his lost power to achieve his astral form once more.

Nergal, the Time Reaper: An ancient Babylonian king that was betrayed by Kan-Ra. Returns to the world of the living to destroy the lingering remainders of his kingdom.

Lot’boa, the Impossible Horror: A being from the Astral Plane whose horrid form induces madness. Plans to enslave humanity and feed off their suffering.

Demios, the Omnipotent Tormentor: A former herald who collected the lost power of both Gargos and Eyedol into its form. Seeks to gather even more power from those foolish enough to challenge its might.

2 Likes

I’d like the vampire lord. I can feel some Demitri & Castlevania Dracula vibes in him.

Have you taken any character concepts from the 3D Mortal Kombat era?

I vote the coven lord, but all your ideas are at the very least interesting.

The downside…

With so many interesting potential characters, not getting to see some in the game will be disappointing…

Well hey, who knows? Maybe Mr. @TempusChaoti will get a glimpse of this thread once I’ve presented some in-depth ideas and take a liking to some of them. :slight_smile:

I just hope they’ll be interested.

Mortal Kombat 3 did a Create-A-Character contest and picked Kabal, Stryker & Nightwolf.

I have trouble also with an Indian-Indonesian character. I thought of something Bollywood since Johnny Cage is Hollywood. But that’d be stupid anyway.

Anyway, I can work on special moves and instincts. Not easy to come up with but I’ll try.

I haven’t touched the 3D MKs. That’s fresh territory all for you.