Character Backstory - Murder of Crows

Special Cancelling and Shadow-Shadow cancelling needs to end period. Except Fulgore.

If I had to guess the Sammamish change is indeed some sort of a KI1 dive.

The devs are VERY concerned about stuff that makes matchups unwinnable, and anyone who saw the EVO finals knows very well that once Rico got meter Gutter couldn’t compete. Yes, Rico had to know the matchup and he played it very well, and yes, it wasn’t a Dan/Akuma type mismatch (or even a S1 Sadira or Sabrewulf vs. anyone else mismatch), but Gutter had no practical way to close range. It became solely a test as to whether Rico would stay even long enough to max his bar, and then if he would make MULTIPLE errors that could cost him the game IF Gutter played perfectly. That removed a lot of hype from an otherwise fantastic top 8 and I assume IG and MS took notice.

Also, @Frodo54, the Social Justice Warrior angle only works if you don’t think the Nez Perce approved this bio. Which I guarantee you they did, because legally Microsoft would have a death wish to not run this by them. So while I think your heart is in the right place, being offended on behalf of the people who actually enthusiastically endorsed the character is a bit pretentious.

1 Like

This would require making whole characters with new animations and similar hit and hurt boxes… its alot of extra work for novelty that’ll likely go unused

1 Like

Only thing that would make them pro is that they were getting paid to do it, not necessarily skill level.

Just like the hair and facial animation

Do you Understand they have to go in with each character anyway to adjust each new characters response?

Not specifically. People who are “professional fighters,” fight other professionals, while people who are amateurs fight other amateurs. Sure an amateur can have great skill, all pros start as amateurs at some point, but until they are pro, or are proven to be on that level, how can you take an amateur level fighter as anything more than that?

Look at TJK specifically. He was a world champion for at least a decade, fighting presumably the best in the world, yet Eagle, and amateur through and through, is suppose to be on his level?

Eagle MUST have proven himself in the first KI tourney, but they just haven’t said anything. I’m hoping that the Fulgore bio gives more backstory on Eagle specifically.

… They’ll have to make new characters for most of the human ‘skins’ thats not the same as tweeking stats. (Though speaking of which the human doppelgangers would have to receive tweeks as well)

TJ Combo was a professional boxer because he was being paid money to fight. That is the very definition of a professional vs an amateur.

from dictionary.com
Professional definition:

1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain:

2. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professional?s=t

Amateur definition:

1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

2. an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amateur?s=t

1 Like

Did you actually read what I said? Or did you just feel the need to flex your Google muscle.

I did, but the comment was inaccurate. You said that Eagle couldn’t have fought against other’s who were professionals because that meant that professionals were of superior skill and Eagle was just an amateur. The difference between a professional and an amateur is not based off of skill, but based on whether or not they are being paid to do such activity. This is what I said in the beginning. The comment of pro’s face pro’s and only amateur’s face amateur’s is an incorrect statement. The players who compete in college are amateurs by definition, once they start getting paid, then they become professional athletes. Regardless of skill level.

1 Like

We don’t know if he won the first tournament, they haven’t said yet. Him winning the tournament though, and proving his skill would in fact explain why they chose him for the Fulgore project though.

My comment wasn’t regarding Eagle fighting against “pros,” but rather UT choosing him over those “pros” for the Fulgore project, which led to me asking the question how did Eagle prove himself.

Whether or not he or TJ got paid for fighting is besides the point, as my comment was specifically about competition, and at what level these guys fight. If Eagle was an amateur, meaning that up to that point he only fought other amateurs, and the others were proven in combat time and time again, why did UT choose him over them? Was he exceptional in some fashion unrevealed as of yet? Then again, the fact that he was an amateur could have played some other part, as him being an unknown talent, could have also played a part him them being able to abduct him under the radar. Still though, it is all speculation.

That is why your comment was out of place. Why you saying my statement was “incorrect” is also out of place. My comment wasn’t about money, it was only about proven and acknowledged skill.

Comics are non-canon

It probably is the case. To me that is the only thing that makes sense as to why they would choose him with the given information we have.

The comment is still inaccurate because the very definition of the word you are using and questioning Eagle’s status as an amateur. From the back ground “Thunder was built like a mountain and played football, while Eagle was a wrestler and amateur boxer.”

All that means is that Eagle did not compete in boxing for money. I was talking about his status as an amateur shouldn’t be confused with his skill level from your comment of:

This is the area where I am saying that your comments are “factually” inaccurate because you are misinterpreting the meaning of the word “amateur” and “professional”.

The reason why UT went after Eagle, I don’t know, and I don’t think anyone could claim to know until after we see Fulgore’s story, and even then, there will probably be some holes in there. Also I think that the writer also covered that Eagle was training intensely to increase his skills with this portion of the background:

“Eagle went on his own vision quest a few years later. He would never tell Thunder what he saw, but soon after he discovered his weyekin he started training to become an ultimate fighter with an almost religious fervor.”

To me, that means that Eagle really ramped up his training and his skills could have increased immensely, but even if they did, if he wasn’t being paid to fight or to receive anything that would be considered monetary gain, then by definition, he’s still an amateur.

the background for Thunder said that Eagle was a wrestler and an amateur boxer.
Though my point wasn’t about Eagle being an amateur, it was correcting the definition that even if he was an amateur, that doesn’t mean he was unskilled, just that he was unpaid.

That’s not necessarily true. Amateur is, these days, a skill level, and not rated on whether or not you’re getting paid.

Nah. I don’t think its neccisary.

2 Likes