Captain America vs TJ Combo

Captain America

vs.
TJ Combo
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EOiWKGxMmPQ/V1LkMVP6RBI/AAAAAAAADVs/3Cy9aguoHKQHZHRnxWQ8_KCoNaAPQ9GTw/w800-h800/Killer_Instinct_Season_2_-TJ_Combo-_Downtown_Demolition.png

Setting:

TJ Combo walked into his gym like he does every day; first one in, last one out, that was his motto…but today was different. As he entered the main hall of the gym, the former Heavy-Weight Champion, carrying his gym-bag over his shoulder, witnesses a new face making some noise over in the corner.

“Boomf. Boomf. Ba-da-BOOMF!” That last hit echoed through the empty gym like an controlled explosion. This new blood was making music on the heavy bag TJ noticed. Just hearing the blows he could tell that this guy was experienced.

“Hey,” TJ called out. “Your left shoulder drops after every left hook,” he said with a mischievous grin on his face.

The man halted his assault on the bag, kept his feet planted, but look over his shoulder at TJ with his own smirk on his face.

“And keep that chin tight.” TJ met his look with his own, as he unhooked his bag from his shoulder, and let it hit the floor with a loud, echoing “THUD!”

“So, who’s in my gym at this early hour?” TJ asked. His voice, deep and commanding.

“3 rounds.” The man answered. “If you are the one left standing at the end of 3 round, I’ll give you your answer.” The man’s voice, unflinching and confident.

TJ gave a slight nod to his challenger, and knelt down to reach in his bag and grab his tape and gloves.

The un-named challenger shot a final body blow to the heavy bag which split the bag at its seams, and left a slight hole in the bag. Turning to make his way to the ring, sand could be heard leaking onto the floor from all it’s open wounds after the ringing of the blow dissipated with in the room. The man scooped up his gloves from the floor, and after entering the square arena he put them on.

TJ knew this guy was serious from jump, but now he definitely knew this was no run of the mill amateur. TJ stood and banged his gloves together, making an explosive sound that echoed through the hall that matched every bit of the Challengers heavy bag blows. “Let’s go then…”

TJ climbed into the ring where the 2 fighters touched gloves and squared off…

##Who wins?

##MMA rules. Win by KO.

4 Likes

TJ wins of course! Captain aint sheet without his shield.

I’m a pretty huge Captain fan, but straight-up boxing a dude with bionic arms? Despite what Hollywood would have me believe, I’m pretty sure Mr. Rogers is about to get hurt.

Cap would break TJs face. You guys keep going on about Bionic arms yet forget that Winter Soldier had a bionic arm, an a better one too. Heck Tj doesn’t even have his implants anymore :joy:

Cap has a super serum flowing through his blood. He is stronger, faster and more durable.

I mean if he can beat Ironman and even box Thor to a standstill, Thor! Then I’m not going to fanboy on KI this time lol I know the winner here.

Captain America!

3 Likes

Cap would out box TJ Combo by decision. TJ wouldn’t able to get knocked out easily, but at least he’ll give Cap some bruises to leave with.

Captain. That super serum plus the age difference/experience difference, I think he quickly turns TJ’s aggression against him.

Cap had his shield in that fight. If Cap fought Bucky without his shield from jump…uhh…he may have still won, but with A LOT more damage taken.

But on top of that, you really can’t say that WS’s bionic arm was better than both of TJ’s. UT is known to make its own metal alloys, so more than likely TJ’s bionic implants were made of “Ultratine”. True his whole arms wouldn’t have been made of this substance completely…

http://shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/killerinstinctone-tjcombo-retro-1.png

…but his muscles and bones would have been strengthened due to the grafting process (similar to, but not as intrusive as, what happened to Wolverine).

Regardless…

So there really isn’t a point of going on about this further.

Is he stronger? Is he faster? Is he more durable?

TJ’s DNA was altered by UT in a few ways, some of which give him a healing factor (akin to Cap), augmented speed, and extra endurance (akin to Cap). Just like Cap is said to be peak human (really the peak of what humanity can be with still being human), TJ is peak human as well. All that said, I may go with you that Cap may just be outright stronger than TJ…

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FPUF8vAHcJo/VwNUueD9EXI/AAAAAAAAHqg/hmTsauDHNzYUyj6yh3KchgPlq_nEuvY-w/w1918-h2772/Captain_America_Benchpress%252520%25281%2529.jpg

…but then again there is a difference in lifting strength, and punching strength.

Bottom line though, I’d agree that the Super Serum is probably more advanced than whatever TJ got…or at least it is just more fleshed out than what TJ got at this moment.

TJ beat Fulgore (actually a bunch of them at once, and even many Riptors at once)…

There really is no equivalent of Thor in the KI verse…unless both Gargos and Eyedol are on that level (maybe). Even still though, if they are on that level, there is no lore that would suggest that TJ has fought them, let alone would survive and fight them to a standstill.

There is no doubt that Cap is tough, I’m just not ready to say outright that he outclasses TJ.

1 Like

Alright so here is my official take on the matchup.

Captain America vs TJ Combo

TJ Combo (Tyler-Johnson Garrett)

Described as someone born to win, but hates to lose, TJ Combo is a strong, brash, and arrogant man with an unstoppable fighting spirit. Prior to his fall from grace, he was even cockier than presently, but after his humbling defeat at the hands of Ultratech, he was a broken man for many years before finally building up the courage and resolve to fight back. He has to push himself to get back up when he falls, but he realizes that if he doesn’t get back up, he won’t go anywhere at all. Despite his life revolving around seeking fame, fortune, and revenge, he recognizes that what is truly important in the battle against Ultratech is saving the world. Overall, TJ is a true example of the undying American spirit, shown heavily in his default costumes which invoke the simple red, white and blue color scheme.

Despite being human and having no supernatural powers, Combo is quite a skilled, brutal, and agile fighter with his boxing style. In the original universe, his bionic arm implants gave him punching power far beyond the average human and allows him to go toe-to-toe with all kinds of inhuman opponents. In the rebooted universe, however, his bionics have been removed in order to help show his true human strength. Also being an MMA fighter, he also has a much more varied moveset than just jabs and punches. He is also still under the effects of an Ultratech serum that helped his body adjust to the bionics years ago, which now allows him to pull off impressive feats of speed and strength. The serum also causes the scars along his arms to glow blue when he is in Instinct Mode.

Some of his mentionable feats include;

• Easily defeating a robotic super soldier known as the Fulgore unit

• Besting the leader of the Red Eyes of Rylai assassins, Sadira

• Holding his own against the Firecat infused, Orchid

• Breaking the undead pirate skeleton, Spinal.

• Holding his own against a man fused with alien DNA composed entirely of flames.

• KO’d a crossbreed of human and reptilian DNA combatant known as Riptor

• KO’d the Fulgore MK.2

TJ Combo Skills

Boxing: ☆☆☆☆☆

Kick-Boxing: ☆☆☆

Dexterity: ☆☆☆☆

Endurance: ☆☆☆☆

Comeback Factor: ☆☆☆☆☆

X-Factor: Speed Aggressiveness

Overall: 4.2

“I took the easy route, once. It got me fame, fortune, and glory… but it was all hollow. When I fell, I fell hard. I lost everything. But I’m back now and this time, I’m doing it right. And don’t think for a moment that I’ll let anything get in my way. Cause if you give me that moment… I win!”

Captain America (Steven Grant Rogers)

Captain Steven “Steve” Grant Rogers is a Super Soldier World War II veteran and was the world’s first superhero. Volunteering for a top secret Super-Soldier program, the frail Steve Rogers was transformed into the powerful and heroic Captain America. His famous World War II exploits made him a living legend. Rogers attacked multiple HYDRA quarters with the Howling Commandos to the dismay of his greatest enemy, the Red Skull, while also developing a relationship with Agent Peggy Carter. Despite losing his closest friend, Bucky Barnes during a mission, Rogers carried on to help the Allies win the war, but crashed into the Arctic during his final mission. Awakening in the 21st century, Rogers learned that he had spent 67 years trapped in the glacial ice.

Artificially Enhanced Physiology: As a Super Soldier, Steve Rogers possesses enhanced human abilities, such as formidable intelligence, strength, speed, durability, agility, stamina, dexterity, and reflexes, as well as an accelerated healing factor, which healed all of his ailments and genetic imperfections quickly. It also prevents him from being drunk. The serum metabolized and enhanced all of Steve’s natural anatomical abilities beyond the peak of human potential, pushing into the early levels of superhuman condition. It transformed a frail and sickly Steve into the “perfect” specimen of human development and conditioning. Captain America is extremely intelligent, strong, fast, agile, and durable as well as physically functions at levels beyond normal humans. Although the SSS has definite limits, even without training Rogers’ physiology surpasses that of any human being trained to their physical and mental peaks. Rogers maintains an overall healthy lifestyle including a regular extensive exercise regimen and a balanced diet. This appears to have increased his capabilities further, much like how it increases strength, physical performance and muscle control in non-enhanced humans.

Some of his mentionable feats include;

• Easily defeated Batroc the Leaper

• Defeated War-Machine in an aerial battle

• Defeated two SSS at once

• Defeated Viper with nerve strikes

• Withstood Gambits card explosions at point-blank range.

• Held his own against the Grey Hulk

• Held his own against Thor.

Boxing: ☆☆☆☆☆

Kick-Boxing: ☆☆☆☆☆

Dexterity: ☆☆☆☆☆

Endurance: ☆☆☆☆

Comeback Factor: ☆☆☆☆

X-Factor: Super Soldier Serum

Overall: 4.6

“I know I’m asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it’s a price I’m willing to pay. And if I’m the only one, then so be it.”

Winner?!

Captain America (Steven Grant Rogers)

Even without a shield, Captain is still a very capable combatant. The shield is best used in situations against projectiles or against several opponents at once who deem to be out of his control i.e. Alien Army and Robot Army. I’ll go into more detail…

The first hint was against Cap easily defeating Batroc the Leaper. Sure, he sounds silly but Batroc is no pushover, in fact, he is the closest representation of TJ Combo.

Batroc the Leaper has no superhuman abilities but is in peak physical condition in every respect. He is an Olympic-level weightlifter and has extraordinary agility and reflexes. His leg muscles are particularly well developed, enabling him to leap great distances equal to an Olympic athlete. He is an expert hand-to-hand combatant and specializes in savate (French-style kickboxing).

But, wait! Let us compare someone who is infused with Super Soldier Serum or in this case the closest representation of TJ post-Ultratech serum…

They got clobbered relatively easy. Also don’t be fooled by the transparent shield, as it is only a representation of Captain’s Iron-Guard.

But, let’s get back to someone with more experience who is better in touch with the likes of TJ… err, a little stronger. The Winter Soldier.

Captain can surely handle his own against a deadly cybernetic arm and against someone who mastered their own blend of MMA.

Truly, I could go on about the many feats like being able to take a punch from the Incredible Hulk and deliver his own mighty blow.

Being able to hold his own against the God of Thunder, Thor.

Alas, I need not go on.

The thing to note here is that TJ Combo is by no means a pushover, he has a lot of talent and can certainly deal damage. But, Captain is a Superhero who has fought and triumphed against combatants to the level of Gods. Not to mention that Cap has mastered MMA as he trained in the art for years throughout his time with the Avengers and whilst dawning the uniform.

He has fought people at a similar level and beyond, there is a reason why he once led the Avengers, there is also a reason as to why he became the symbol of Freedom and Justice. Winner, Captain America.

2 Likes

Good show, sir! Great read! Nothing to really say on my part, other than I agree.

You probably won’t have time to comment in such detail on all the fights I put up, but I’d love to get more of you insights on my future matches.

Again, great stuff!

1 Like

This. Plus TJ is a regular man. If you read his back story he even lost his title to some other guy. That bothered me a lot. I wanted TJ to be the best human that could go up against all these monsters and masters in KI but he gets beaten by some other guy.

That alone tells that TJ isn’t a special person. Only way he got back to the top was by cheating and even then Cinder wrecks him in the trailer.

Cap wins by having perfect senses and abilities. He really is above a regular human unlike TJ. Cap has super human strength throughout his body not just in his arms. That and Cap has already beaten the Winter Soldier who is pretty much TJ.

1 Like

I almost read that as “Cap wins by having perfect sense and sensibility.” I guess TJ just has too much pride and prejudice.

1 Like

That is sort of like saying that you’re going to discount Cap because before he took the serum he was “just a regular guy”. TJ lost his title after years of “living the high life” and not keeping up with his training. When he lost the belt, INSTEAD of trying to win it back the right way, he reverted back to his old ways and cheated. TJ may be the “best of the best of humanity” in terms of skill and strength, but he fundamentally lacks character, as that is where he struggles most.

“Special people” struggle and falter all the time. Holding his mistakes against him like that is kind of wrong (I don’t know how else to put it). Again, comparing him to Cap, that is like saying that the only thing special about Cap is his serum, when in actuality it is Caps character, and his drive, that makes him special.

Also, about TJ’s lose to Cinder, Ben Ferris is a military vet of 10 years, top of his class, and had his DNA altered to where he is a perpetual ball of plasma. ANY “regular person” loosing to Cinder shouldn’t be a surprise, the surprise would be if they won.

I don’t care for Captain America in the slightest bit and would route for TJ all day everyday but where are TJ’s canon feats?

Idk, we just don’t have much to go on for TJ, like how can we compare the two when we really don’t know what one of them is capable of at his best or what his limits are?

No one has mentioned that TJ still has NANO tech nology running through his body. Thats why he glows blue. The Nanobots are still inside him even though he took out the implants. He just doesn’t know exactly what they did to him, not do we. SO there is still a level of mystery surrounding TJs “power”.

Plus…classic TJ has an Uzi lol

They are in his story mode, I went back and looked through every slide describing is story along with his fully detailed written biography.

It was mentioned, it is what gives him a slight healing factor and the reason he has his comeback at the end. That said, it isn’t enough, although it does make an impact.

I suggest the both of you look over my analysis should you be interested as to why Captain would win over TJ.

I’m not sure if the trailer is cannon though. If it were I would say it happened way before TJ made his comeback. During his story mode TJ manages to get Cinder to question his own loyalty to Ultratech.

Granted, he doesn’t outright beat him. But, he does manage to hold his own to the point where Cinder just gives up seeing no further point in fighting.

This is to say that TJs abilities grew from his desire to be on top again.

##From TJ’s backstory:

Over the next five years TJ grew tall and his body filled out. All during that time he studied the sweet science of boxing with the zeal of a scholar, analyzing the fighting techniques of his boxing idols like Ali and Tyson. And he worked his body until he was a rippling specimen of muscles and raw power. In his early twenties he started winning fights.

Just goes to show his level of boxing knowledge and prowess.

When he was in the hospital, drugged up on painkillers, a strange man approached him and told him about a special research program to rehabilitate athletes and make them superhuman. He was taken to an Ultratech lab and shown a production line creating cybernetic implants, and then given a demonstration of this tech’s miraculous powers.

TJ’s strength was pushed definitively to “superhuman” status through UT’s experiments.

Surgeons implanted titanium shafts into his forearms to add bone-crunching strength to his punches.

Titanium shafts I his forearms. Assumedly able to “crunch” bones with his fists pretty easily.

Within six months he’d won back the title, pushing in his opponent’s face and putting the man in the hospital.

Almost killed a “regular” man in the ring.

Ultratech forced TJ into fighting one of their Mark 01 Fulgore battle cyborgs in a highly publicized exhibition bout to show off their new military technology. ARIA—the artificial intelligence mind behind Ultratech—wanted to prove that her machine was better than a human. TJ was ordered to throw the fight just in case, but he went into the ring filled with a rage that made him mighty, and he pounded that metal man into the floor.

Defeated Fulgore mk01 pretty soundly.

That night TJ cut the cybernetic implants from his arms, screaming in agony as he pulled the metal from his flesh. He staggered to the local hospital and got them to stitch him up. His arms healed up fast. Too fast. He realized that Ultratech had done something more to him when they’d put him on the operating table and cut him open. They’d messed with his DNA.

Ripped out bone and muscle from his arms and didn’t pass out or go into shock. Very high pain tolerance. And a pretty good healing factor.

The Disavowed starting feeding TJ information, enabling him to track down Ultratech agents, like the assassin Sadira.

Defeated Sadira.

After a while TJ and the spy Orchid became friends, and infiltrated Ultratech together.

In the Rivals Mode, this is where TJ and Orchid made there way through UT HQ, defeating multiple UT agents, and ultimately infiltrating the Pinnacle and exposing UT’s secret projects.

He joined her on another mission to South America and the headquarters of the Night Guard to meet its last surviving member—the monster hunter Maya—and the warrior-monk Jago. But then they were attacked by an Ultratech army of Fulgore and Stalker units. TJ was ready to go out swinging.

Survived UT’s second Nightguard invasion. The novella goes into more detail.

##From the S2 Rival Mode:

• Defeated Fulgore mk1
  • Defeated Sadira
  • Matched Orchid
  • Defeated Spinal
  • Matched/Defeated Cinder
  • Defeated/Killed Riptor (It was a Stalker/group off Stalkers, not the actual Riptor.)
  • Defeated Fulgore mk2 in 1v1
  • Defeated many Fulgore and Stalker units while the Pinnacle went on high alert, and then escaped.

##From Chapter 6 of the Novella:

“TJ!” she screamed, turning to follow him up the path. But she stopped abruptly as a llama bolted around the switchback’s corner, racing past her down the steps, its eyes wide with blind terror. A split second later TJ appeared, flying down the stairs three steps at a time.

Maya frantically pushed a sensor strapped to her wrist. Down in the citadel she heard the alarm klaxon blare out. The sentry guns were now activated. At least she hoped they were.

“Run!” TJ bellowed, yanking her arm and pulling her after him.

Maya was jerked along, almost falling flat on her face. But TJ grabbed her with his other hand, practically carrying her down the stairs.

“Stalkers!” he yelled.

Glancing back over her shoulder Maya saw six Stalkers chasing after them, fire spitting from their mouths.

“Split up!” ordered TJ. “Head down the hill! Get to Orchid and Jago! I’ll hold ‘em off!”

He turned on a dime and wheeled, throwing a wicked roundhouse that crushed the lead Stalker’s nose—a brutal punch that sent the dinosaur hybrid tumbling back into two of its sisters. Maya moved without thinking, leaping off the pathway and onto the steep mountainside, diving into the dense underbrush. She could hear one of the Stalkers right behind her—it had broken away from the pack to pursue her.

Out ran multiple Stalker unit (they are VERY fast), and held his own/defeated multiple Stalkers on his own. Crushed a stalker’s face with a single blow.

A figure leapt from the wall above, plowing into the cyborg’s torso with their knee and knocking it to the ground. It was TJ! He pounded the battle unit with his fists—a flurry of brutal combos—then ripped off the cyborg’s head in a shower of sparks, flinging it aside. Breathing hard he reached down and offered his hand to Maya. She saw that his face and chest were covered with blood. But thankfully it wasn’t his own.

After taking on a group of Stalkers, he defeated a Fulgore mk03 with little issue, even tearing off it’s head.

There is maybe a little more depth I could go into using pics and what not, but I’m not going to right now. It is definitely true that Cap has far more feats that TJ does, but TJ has a hand full of his own. Also, there is the comic, and though while they not canon, they do show on panel what it would look like if TJ fought a Stalker and won (which he did), or if he took on Spinal and won (which he did). The comic also shows TJ fighting a Fulgore mk01…though in the comic TJ lost handily.

1 Like

There are I think only 2 parts in the story where that fight in the trailer could have happened.

• TJ confronts Cinder during his rivals story (The place you are talking about).
  • Cinder and ARIA confronted TJ and Orchid at the end of TJ’s rival mode when Orchid and TJ escaped the pinnacle.

IMO the trailer depicts the fight in the Pinnacle, as that is when TJ defeated Fulgore again, and yelled “is that the best you’ve got Ultratech?”

…where Orchid and TJ barely escape…

TJ’s rival mode happens after he lost his title and ripped out the bionics. It happens after he falls in league with the Disavowed, after he had dedicated his life to do doing the right thing. Cinder wasn’t created until around the time TJ was on the outs with UT as far as I can decipher.

I didn’t take this fight the same you did. I took it as TJ defeated him (maybe Cinder was having an issue with his powers or something, idk), and after the fight Cinder told him the whereabouts of the Hatchery. It could even be that TJ and Orchid fought Cinder together in the lore…idk.

The other explanation is that it is just a plot hole/poor story telling.

1 Like

But, but, TJ has glowing blue scar tissue!

1 Like

We read it… looks good. But it doesn’t mention Nano technology and its more than a healing factor. Its much more… but the problem is we do not have the facts on what it truly does.