Can this game become bigger?

Don’t be sad, friend.

Please accept my digital gesture of masculine affection: :punch:

1 Like

Welcome to the KI community @INDIxion - glad you’re liking the game :slight_smile:

On the “how to make KI more popular front”, I’m in line with Infil, where I’m unfortunately not really sure. To be honest, I don’t think your suggestions would necessarily help all that much either. I do think the game doesn’t always stream well due to compression and how busy its effects are, but I’m doubtful that characters not “popping” is a legitimate issue for why they don’t stick around to watch. Generally crappy streams, and general lack of knowledge on what the heck is going on is a far likelier impediment to people “window shopping” I’d imagine.

For myself, I think a lot of KI’s tournament popularity issues comes from the fact that it’s largely (at this point) a brand-new section of the FGC. The initial X1-only hurdle did its damage, and the game largely missed its window for snagging those FGC regulars. The combo and breaker systems, the S2 drastic changes per month woes, and just the general zaniness of the game (I’ve always thought KI was an exercise in seeing how much Marvel could fit into an SF game) made many of those tournament mainstay guys either stay away or leave after some period of time. The people who play KI are often really new to the whole tournament scene, and because KI’s online is as good as it is and its online tournaments can be fairly big, they’re content to just keep playing in that space. They have no prior experience of traveling to compete, so they don’t.

I’ve honestly kind of stopped caring about the tourney space so much. People often hate on KI without reason and talk crap about it, and I’m kind of over it. KI is the first fighter I’ve taken seriously, and I have to say my eyes were really opened by purchasing SFV just how unbalanced the critiques of some of these “hardcore” tournament players are. I legitimately thought I would suck at SFV - I figured my neutral was probably bad, I’d have poor defense, I wouldn’t be able to AA, etc because I was a KI guy and everyone knew we didn’t have “fundamentals”. And then lo and behold, I make gold inside a month online, and find that SF players guess and do yolo ish and fail anti-airs just as much (heck, sometimes even more) than us lowly KI guys. I’m certainly not the best at SFV and would doubtlessly drown in pools were I to compete, but that experience of just finding that people were being super elitist and selective about describing their game really turned me off :confused: And I actually like SFV and think it’s a good game! I’ll be at CEO and EVO this year because I want to get that tournament experience for my game, but after KI leaves the circuit I’ve got very little desire to make the trips ever again. I’ll support KI-centric events like the Beatdown and World Cup how I can, but most importantly I’ll just keep playing the game I love. That’s probably not the greatest attitude on how to keep a community vibrant and “alive”, but it’s where I’m personally at.

But again, welcome to KI. Sorry if my post was a downer :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to KI! Glad you’re enjoying it. It’s also great that you want to spread the publicity of the game just like me and all the other youtubers/streamers here.

Gotta say, though, a lot of your thoughts are very based on preference. Not putting your opinions down, but if people stray away form the game for those reasons, it comes down to the fact that you can’t please everybody. I personally think the graphics and audio design of KI is fantastic, if maybe a little dated.

Like I said before, as long as KI can build its on fanbase it will generate it’s own pro players. We don’t need the FGC regulars to come into KI. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t come, if they come, I welcome them. But I think we should stop acting like nobody is playing our game. We have pros like rico sauve, sleep,bass, my god, etc. That play. If the other pros from other games I see play then that’s cool. If not then OK, KI is at a point where it’ll only get bigger.

One thing is certain in regards to the question of how to garner more attention/fanbase for KI:

Word of mouth is EVERYTHING.

We’ve had more than ample example in the past decade of gaming that word of mouth will absolutely make or break a game.

Sharing our passion for the game - in person, online in media/chat platforms, streaming the game itself, posting video content, locally if possible/plausible - is absolutely the best thing we can do for the game, full stop.

Fun is infectious. Show people you have fun playing KI.

3 Likes

Nice to see I managed to start a discussion. :slight_smile:

About my statements, I do admit I might have been “jumping the gun” a bit too much, and sounding like these adjustments would solve everything. Small video and audio changes would probably not magically draw a fugton of people just like that.

Although, like Infil said, the game graphics are very busy (but they are indeed fantastic, I agree) which makes it hard for streaming because you need godtier resolution and FPS, and the viewers would need good equipment too. I think it just kills some of the entertainment factor for streams and that people be like “meh” when they watch it because it’s a sea of pixels for many of them.

When it comes to the audio… still, I do think a change of sounds on shadow moves would be a good idea. It would be a small change yes, but they do sound too weak to me. I think people would get more hype if it felt differently doing them. Then again, they do need to TRY the game to even do that, so…

Most importantly we must get them to at least try the game out. How? I’m not sure. Word of mouth.
I will word of mouth as much as I can without annoying people. :3

I will start my first session of Killer Instinct Revival 20:00, would be fun if you stopped by. Since it’s part 1, it’ll be Jago. Yay. :open_mouth:

I’d actually be super game to play you sometime. Doesn’t have to be on stream or anything (could be if you want), I just like playing KI :slight_smile:

If you’re interested, let me know and we can figure out a time to play. I’d be good with the Jago mirror, but can pull out my Hisako if you’re up for a bigger challenge. :smile:

1 Like

His Hisako is easily twice as good as mine - and mine’s no joke :slight_smile:

I for one am quite happy that you started this discussion. It’s something that’s very worthwhile to discuss - it’s easy for us to say “KI needs more attention”, but another thing entirely to ask “what can I do as one fan of this game to help spread the fun to other players”? It’s especially refreshing to see someone come from another FG camp entirely and ask this question as an introduction.

When you’re in a position of relative influence, you’d be surprised what a long way a little praise will go.

For instance - I caught the initial KI2013 trailer when it was first released, but had serious reservations about buying an XBone at the time. Fast-forward a year-and-a half-later; I hear that XBone now offers a Kinect-less option for cheaper - sweet, but what about that KI reboot? That’s what I wanted the system for in the first place.

I did some YouTubing, found content created by some known players (this content came up first because of google ranking), and after seeing how excited they were about the game I ended up going to WalMart that night to purchase the system.

At any rate - I think you’re already on the right path, which is greatly appreciated, and perhaps we can all come up with something even cooler/more effective to do :smiley:

2 Likes

@STORM179 Sounds fun! I think I will be streaming most of the time when I play it though. :slight_smile: Keep your eyes on the KI archive on twitch and come visit and we could probably play!

@Marbledecker your words makes me happy. =)

I streamed for five hours tonight and it was pretty neat. Learned a lot with Jago, and a few general game mechanics…
One thing that really saddened me though was finding out that you when time your combo breaker wrong, that grey lockout symbol with the L in it is actually a CLOCK. Like… what… That is super unclear. I always thought it was an L, and I’d be like “What! That was clearly NOT a light autodouble!”… this was confusing me for like an hour, until someone in the chat finally made clear that it was a clock. I mean… how could you mess this up like this. You can interpret the “clock” as ‘Light’, ‘Lockout’, ‘Late’… urgh. They could have placed the clock hands anywhere else but they just had to place them so it looks like an L. Poor newcomers. :confused:

Excellent! :smiley:

Yeah this was actually brought up in the new HUD thread a while back and even Adam Isgreen agreed with your point of view on the clock - 10:00 would be dandy in my opinion.

Sounds like I missed you then. I’ll be on a bit later tonight if you feel like hopping on though. Or if you wanted to play now or anything…I’m not really picky :slight_smile:

By the way, what’s your gt? I’ll add you and we can throw down some time - Who knows, maybe with this video, you could start playing blindfolded as well
I will stay out of the early access debate, though I understand the sentiments that have been expressed and why they have been, at least to an extent.

I’m beginning to think we should roll with this particular quirk instead of swimming upstream. I don’t have any amazing ideas yet but it’s something to consider.

1 Like

You mean something with online tourneys? :open_mouth:

Well - that’s definitely part of it.

When you take away majors and don’t consider matches with your IRL friends on the couch, you’re left with two things: Online tourneys, and local tourneys.

Hmm. Lol I just guess I’m a person that likes going to majors to meet people rather than sit at my house. XD

2 Likes

And you’re traveling a fair distance to one, no less. :thumbsup:

I definitely don’t mean to sound like people are doing something wrong by not attending majors - that stuff costs money, and travel is easily three times more expensive than the tourney. This is why, at present, I’ve only attended CEO. I will be going to KIWC next year but otherwise, you don’t see me at majors because I work two jobs and don’t have that kind of money to spend.

But - back to my original point - organizing things on our own certainly can’t hurt. Doing so online or locally are the cheapest options for people at present, with the least obstacles.

I also am of the mentality of embracing the online rather than traveling. I love the game and I really enjoy fighting games in general but as an adult with responsibilities and limited vacation time to spare it’s just not in the books. As such we have the opportunity to embrace the great online that some of these fighting games have.

I will say the one tourny I have no problem sparing expenses for is Evo, but a lot of that has to do with the tourny being hosted in Vegas more than anything else.

Exactly - I attend CEO because it’s an hour and a half away from me. The expense is totally reasonable.

1 Like