By 2016 would you like KI to be reclasified as an M rated game? POLL

Nobody’s saying that a T rating is right for every game. As a creative designer or a writer (or part of a marketing department >_>), I have to imagine that you go out there and make the thing you want to make with little-to-no concern for content classification, then the relevant advisory board evaluates the thing you made and sticks a rating to it with maybe a little advice as to minor changes that might bring it down a notch, and then there’s some back-and-forth about that which eventually leads to a suitable rating for the thing you made. It just so happens that the creative guys over at MS were able to realize their vision within the T rating, and see little if any reason to breach that.

People do make use of ESRB guidelines, so yes, absolutely.

Newsflash ‘bud’, we’re not talking about reality, we’re talking about a video game. In reality, werewolves, golems, ghosts and the other fantastical elements of KI don’t exist. People get really hurt when being stabbed or cut in reality, but are also unable to shoot fireballs, teleport, morph into other shapes etc. So if you want “reality” with the blood and gore, why not take out any fantasy elements of KI altogether?

These are entirely different types of game than Killer Instinct, and were always intended to use the M rating, whereas IG and MS have firmly stated that this KI will never have an M rating, and for several legitimate reasons.

You ignore any evidence or opinions anybody else (including devs) takes the time to point out, and continue to make thread after thread about it. This was shot down many times in the S2 forums. All you want is blood and ■■■■■, you’ve made that very clear, and every argument you ever make simply boils down to “I want it, I want it I want it,” and it’s beyond old by this point.

Answer the question. Did the M rating HURT those games? I don’t care if they are different geners. Do people want Marcus Phonex as a guest character? Do you think Gears would have done half as good as it did if it was rated T.

Go on ahead and try n spin that.

Blood and what? I cant tell what you said there because the censorship is so bad just like it is in KI

Nothing like a good KI discussion to get your blood pumping in the morning!
#Ultimate

At this point, it’s clear you’re purposefully ignoring anything that doesn’t directly fit into your narrow point of view.

Gears is a third person shooter which caters to extreme levels of violence, and was ALWAYS INTENDED to have lots of blood and gore, including the curb stomps, visible internal organs, and headshots - just like MK has ALWAYS been intended to have extreme blood, gore and dismemberment. So no, in direct answer to your question, the M rating didn’t hurt those games because the creators of the games purposefully planned the features and INTENDED to receive the M rating. There is no spin to it, that is absolute fact.

MS/DH/IG have always intended Killer Instinct to be a T rated game. They’ve stated this over and over, including in your ridiculous number of “make KI M” posts on the old forums.

Well if we’re throwing genre out the window, let’s start up a discussion of why Madden, Mario Kart, or Pac-Man don’t have a combo system, or gory fatalities. Wouldn’t an M rating make those games better?

3 Likes

It sure did restrict their potential audiences. It’s up to creative folks and whatnot to weigh up whether they can really do their thing at a lower rating. Some concepts explored by media are innately “mature”/explicit/unsuitable for younger audiences, others are not.

I guess this is the level of discourse we are dealing with here.

The developers clearly care more about the players they could potentially alienate than they do about your wishes on the matter. You’re not making a particularly compelling case for why they should feel differently about the matter.

1 Like

And Skeletal for the win.

1 Like

Until someone can refute this, it’s hardly an important topic for KI.

23 Likes

Thank you for the input!

So we couldn’t just have a locust guest character because off the design alone a locust would get classified as an M rated character.
So we get stuck with kid characters like rash?

I don’t see the problem with the T rating, I never saw KI as a gore fest or an over the top violent game even back in the original KI day at the arcade. Some people mistaken this franchise to be a direct MK competitor but I truly see it as its own thing not trying to be any other fighter but have its own identity.

If you want to get literal like that then Thunders Call of the Earth would be an insta-kill move. Spinal would fall apart at the beginning of every match. Jagos arms would catch fire every time he tried to throw an endokouken. See where I’m going with this?

1 Like

I think its a direct competitor to every game…the fact that someone would just drop the game because it was m rated makes me laugh.

I would like thunders 3 stomp grab to bash a skull to pieces. For realism/style too.

So, you want thunder to get an insta-kill as soon as he gets meter? C’mon man, think. The game will gain absolutely zero benefit from an M rating. It would actually lose players. Not something we want. I play KI because of the gameplay, and the fact that I don’t have to worry about who’s in the room when I’m playing. I can play KI when my mother/sister/GF are in the room, and I can’t play MK when they are in the room.

I just think it would be a good way to end a match, and pretty realistic too.

Ok I’ll explain myself then.

Things like getting sliced with a sword 20 times and still being fine, being touched by fire and not feeling it, all of that stuff has existed just fine for years. There’s no point in changing that. I literally only see people wanting an M rating for gore.

Oh, and if Cinder were able to use Burnout in these conditions, would he be top tier? :slight_smile:

This x1000000000000. I play this game for the combos, and Cinder’s got lots of them. It has an offense oriented gamestyle that is complimented by the system of combo breakers and Ultras.

1 Like

Now I want hyper realistic KI just so every time I pick my boy Spinal he just falls apart and lays there all game.

5 Likes

I want a realistic Aganos that… Fits very well in my garden?

Or that when you kick him, you get hurt.

Or so heavy he cant be throwed xD

3 Likes