Boycotting ANY game companies?

Unless I missed a company buyout, GTA, and Red Dead belong to Rock Star and not 2k.

my biggest gripe with Sony is their hardware man. every single Sony system ive bought has had issues. i went through a pair of PS1s and PS2s. my PS3 was working just fine then it bought the farm like a year and a half later and i found myself swapping HDDs because its a piece of junk with a fancy brand name on it. thats Sony.

my ps4 even had issues recently! the damn controllers werent syncing up, then the damn system goes and does a HDD check just because i turned it on LOL. i am pretty close to just saying goodbye to Sony and their junkheap hardware. what are they making them out of over there? fuckking cardboard or what? are they putting these goddamn things together in somebodyā€™s backyard garage or some sh!tt to save a few bucks? this is getting pretty ridiculous. but here i am, about to go buy FF15 on the ps4 because my xbox one no longer reads discs and my controllers are all broken.

when the Scorpio comes out thats what im gonna be getting along with the Nintendo Switch. the good thing about nintendo is their stuff can take a beating from what i have learned. gamecube was a tank, my SNES still kicking, so is the nintendo. microsoft, their ā– ā– ā– ā–  is also junk but more reliable than sony. of the 3, nintendo has reliability down. problem is, those fuckers are too busy ignoring their fanbase

Have you ever seen Sonyā€™s ā€œMini Disksā€? They were music and blank ones that you could buy. They looked like the PSP games, but they were square. That sank quicker than the PSPGO. I use to be a big fan of Sony, but after the stunt of removing the backwards compatibility when they released the PS3 slim sucked. My fat PS3 failed and I bought that one for the backwards compatibility. I even asked if I could send it in to be fixed, and was told they would just charge me and send me a slim.

I bought a 360 and never looked back. As of now Sony only has one game that I would like to play, and with all the SF5 bashing, and my favorite character missing, now I donā€™t even worry about that game.

On a side note, could i put you in a museum as the one Sega fan? :smile: I would put your name on a little gold plate at the bottom of pin. You could even play on a old Sega. :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

THIS THIS THIS! So much!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH-!

This is is golden!

Buy it! Play it! Love it or donā€™t loved it! You win some you lose some!

Example of love it for me:

Final fantasy 6. I love it so much although Iā€™m stuck at a part that involves tentacles in a basementā€¦ and Celesā€¦

And example of hate it:

Doom (2016) I just couldnā€™t like itā€¦ And it gave me dizzy spells.

Doom is giving you motion sickness. A good friend of mine canā€™t play FPS because of it. You can take a pill if the game means that much to you. You friend hates the idea of doing that.

Eh Iā€™ll be fine without it I supposeā€¦

Itā€™s good a game for other people.

Yeah Iā€™ve been much happier with MS systems. Loved my original Xbox from the first time I played Halo and DOA3 at launch, and with stuff like MechAssault, Ninja Gaiden, and Crimson Skies, not to mention the bevy of Sega games they got exclusively, like Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi 3, House of the Dead 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta and so on, it felt like a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast in some ways.

I just wish that MS would bring back more of their awesome franchise from the 360 and the OG Xbox. Donā€™t get me wrong, I love Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and of course, Killer Instinct, but I also miss Lost Odyssey, Kameo, Fable, Blood Wake, and many other MS franchises.

But even then, just on games alone, Iā€™ve preferred both the 360 to PS3 and the XB1 to PS4. Only PS4 games Iā€™ve been curious about are Last Guardian (loved Ico) and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Oh and whatever that game is that Team Ninjaā€™s working on, though they havenā€™t really been the same since Itagaki left.

I swear there are more Sega fans out there LOL!! Iā€™d love it if they released a NES classic style system but instead of just Genesis games, it spanned their entire library, like maybe the 35 best Genesis games, 35 best Dreamcast games, and 30 best Saturn, Sega CD, 32X, Master System and Game Gear games. Yes, itā€™s basically an emulator, but still. I would buy the crap out of that, and Iā€™m sure one or two other people would too! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The dream cast was the first system running polygon based visuals where you could show non-gamers and have them say ā€œwow, that looks real!ā€ NFL 2k could run in demo mode and people thought it was a football game on TV.

The Dreamcast has a special place in my heart because I was broke as hell and my wife bought me one on a random weekday night after I had been stuck in the lab running experiments until late.

Crazy Taxi, NFL 2k, Soul Calibur. Those games were incredible. There has never been any fighting game that was as easy to get non-gamers to play as Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. It was so beautiful and the characters always made you look like you knew what you were doing. It was a work of art. Eventually SF 3 came out and the Dreamcast was a fantastic system for 2D fighters and 3D fighters - just not Tekken.

Having said that, Sega blew a chance by essentially bowing out of the race early. Instead of doubling down on the systemmand strategic partnerships they were like ā€œeh, weā€™re done.ā€ Everyone knew they would do it after Saturn and they did. The system also had some wonky things like a basically awful controller and truly terrible marquee games. Like Seaman. What the hell?

2 Likes

I have other thoughts on this topic that Iā€™ll try to air in a tamer manner when I have more time, but the above video is of a YouTuber getting a prerelease copy of Skyrim Special Edition from Bethesda, just as Bethesda declared that they wanted all players to get their games ā€œat the same timeā€. Bluntly, itā€™s corrupt as ā– ā– ā– ā– , but itā€™s not a surprising state of affairs considering the ā– ā– ā– ā–  that influencers have gotten themselves into with undeclared sponsors and whatnot in recent times.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I follow a bunch of YouTubers and Twitch streamers. But theyā€™re a terrible place to go for any form of reviewing or journalistic integrity.

1 Like

A few companies whose games I have avoided largely despite being a fan originally.

Bioware.
Ubisoft.
Anything Peter Molynieux (or however you spell his name).
Konami.
Sega.

Some of these due to sheer disappointment over their mismanagement, while others because of the intentions behind some the games they develop(ed)/publish(ed).

Corruption is a pretty strong word. It usually means abuse of power in a way that is dishonest or fraudulent for personal gain. I wouldnā€™t call giving someone a preview build a ā€œcorruptā€ practice. Giving them a preview build with an NDA and a requirement that they give the game a good rating while maintaining their neutrality and not revealing that they were paid by the developer - yes that would be corrupt.

Look, this has been going on for a long time. Advance book copies, movie screenings and review copies of games have been distributed by publishers of those media for many years. Is an advance screening a bribe? No. Is it something the company is required to provide? No.

Bethesda is not the first or only company to not send advance copies to reviewers. The ā€œdealā€ has always been that it made sense to get your game in front of reviewers if you were confident that it would review well, because getting those scores out helps generate buzz. I good signal that a movie is going to suck is if the production company DOESN"T do advance screenings for reviewers. The same has been true for games. Superman 64 didnā€™t go to any review sites - they had to go out and buy it. Somehow the Gamergate (not trying to label anyone here as being on any side of that issue, just pointing out the historical truth) fiasco has kind of confused this issue, as if no one had ever had to deal with reviews conducted under the scrutiny/influence of developers before 2014. Look at the quotes on movie advertisements. Many are from well known ā€œreviewersā€ who write glowing reviews of everything. Pick up a book jacket and look at the quotes on there. This is not a ā€œnewā€ issue and it isnā€™t going to go away. As a consumer, you canā€™t relieve yourself of the burden of having to actually consider your purchase.

The modern ā€œinfluencerā€ category - bloggers, youtubers, Twitter celebrities etc. are experiencing this new wave of scrutiny because basically itā€™s a whole new mass media and you have a bunch of people who are making up the rules as they go, or not really worrying about things like disclosure that have typically been handled by the larger media outlets. Some of those people are scumbags and some are just not really thinking about it. And of course companies market their products in a way to try to get you to buy it. So, why would they send their review copies to Angry Joe to be torn apart when they can send it to Happy Harry and get a glowing review instead?

Iā€™m not saying we should be indifferent to shady practices. Iā€™m just saying there is no conceivable way to impose ethics or somehow regulate reviewers and influencers. The best and only solution (and this is by no means a new truth) is to be responsible for your own decisions and understand that even under the best of circumstances you canā€™t just look at a review number to know if a game is going to be something you like.

Rockstar and 2K both fall under Take Two interactive, thus part of the same company.

No one in particular. I could care less what a company does as long as the game was good for me. Greed is a common complaint but often a muddy one. Everyoneā€™s out to get theirs. Making friends along the way is just a bonus.

1 Like

some youtubers are shills, just like the news and current events, reviews from gaming sites or youtubers should be taken with a grain of salt

1 Like

There is a lot for me to adress in this post but im just gonna say my ā– ā– ā– ā–  and leave cause i could talk about this stuff for DAYS.

There is a common misconception that im glad everyone here is apparently aware of.
many people blame developers like treyarch when they added the Black Market. yes, I know they didnt just ā€œAddā€ the Balck Market to BO3 but they most certainly didnt want to. No Developer (If your a developer you dont do thisā€¦) Will make a game pay to win in any format whatsoever. It isnā€™t a game, itā€™s a battle for who has the most pocket cash to drive to WalMart and buy a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  card or plug in your little debit card and go crazy. ya know? Activision is the obvious pusher in this scenario. When they added they crazy cool and wacky skins to BO2, that was fine. Its was cosmetic and not everything was pay to win. (Even then, imo, if you have to buy something else after already buying the game it shouldnt be in the dang game. At least let me grind 1249 hours for it.)
On reviews now.
Reviews are always super fuckign tricky. If your SUPER into a game or REALLY trust the developers just buy the game and make sure your expectations are set VERY low. having high expectations are another thing that kills people. Or just not haveing the content that was promised in the game (LKSDFLSDJ NO MANS SKYY COUUUUUGHFVGHJ)

Dont trust reviews unless the yare from taht certain someone, A friend, Family member. I trust Totalbiscuit the Cynical Brit! Heā€™s my favorite for PC reports and Reviews.

Oh and the Crowd funding for star citizen kills me lmfao yoru dumb if you fund that game.

i know who total biscuit is, hes alright but after planetside 2 i havent really followed that guy anymore.

lol star citizen continues to burn to the ground. they promised star marine module over a year ago and its STILL not even out yet for testing. it was announced it would be available in 2.6 but it got pulled again. how people continue to throw millions of dollars into that dumpster fire is beyond me. chris roberts and his wife are lolā€™ing their way to the bank in their flashy porscheā€™s

1 Like

I Agree completely with what your saying about Star MoneySimulator. But you cant deny that the TINY amount of content that they have released is actually pretty good. Oh, and itā€™s obviously a very pretty game to many people. Can say that even if it was a totally finished project I wouldnā€™t buy it unless it was given insane reviews from every outlet imaginable, including the (mostly) trustworthy sources.
Things like this are just for the money. Its obvious that the game will either be in ā€œdevelopment hellā€ as the developers would call it, or they will just refund some of the money (or not at all, thatā€™s what i HOPE happens. I may sound like an ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  but the idea of crowd funding games needs to stop. People need to stop falling for these things. I hope this game will be the nail in the coffin for false crowd funding.) and get of with maybe a few warning. A lawsuit or if weā€™re really lucky the media will go batshit ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  crazy over it and the whole Crowdfunding Cash Grab situations will come to a halt.

Since you brought up refunds, people have been getting them back. A few got refunds of upwards to 10k! Itā€™s gotten so funny, CIG is now sending a video of why their citizen con event was total trash in an effort to plead to keep the money. Lmao

As for the content, Iā€™ve seen what there is and yeah itā€™s good for like the first few days then itā€™s boring. All you do is buy clothes, fight the insane amount of bugs, and go die light years away to griefer. Personally I only did the arena commander and uninstalled. It was so damn boring and the flight model was beyond atrocious. I wasted 60 bucks.

Other thing, when this project collapses in the coming year or maybe in 2018, itā€™ll leave a smoking crater so huge that its gonna make waves to alert everyone the potential dangers of gaming crowd funded projects. If it does come out, itā€™s not going to be ANYWHERE close to what was promised to backers. When or if they get a junk heap of a game, that isnā€™t worth more than 20 bucks, and they themselves dumped a carā€™s worth of money into itā€¦what are they gonna do with themselves?

1 Like

I honestly feel second hand pain/embaressment/whatver you wanna call it, when talking about these things. There is a victim in these little scandals. These should be punishable by law.

Just wait until the FTC gets wind of this mess. But oh well, Chris Robertā€™s and his wife (who is marketing lead lmfao) Sandi Gardner will continue to fleece backers while promising a dream that wont come.

It shouldā€™ve been a massive red flag as soon as it became public knowledge they have alot of shell companies. It should have been another red flag when they keep selling ships that arenā€™t even in the game for hundreds of dollars. One even went for more than a 1000 and itā€™s STILL not in the game