Boycotting ANY game companies?

But they did Shadows of Mordor and Batman Arkham series!

They are not perfect, but hey, they were really fun to play!

Alt-F4 FTW Lol

1 Like

Well sure, and in the end, the only people that get hurt are the consumers, who either have less information to go on, or are forced to trust the words of a company’s hand picked reviewer. Man, imagine if every company in every line of work could just choose their press this way. Then imagine what they could do to those people if any of them actually thought about stepping out of line and trying to inform the consumer of a bad game or product.

Again, not accusing Bethesda of bringing in toadies to give all of their games 10s. I’m saying that if it happens with other companies, that gamers everywhere will be worse off for it.

Yeah that was
 Strange, to say the least!

1 Like

We can get plenty of hats in the Division, come back to me Emu![quote=“Iago407, post:3, topic:16431”]
For the people that say “don’t rely on game reviews” or “if you’re going to buy the game anyways, then reviews don’t matter,” I’d say this: Some people need reviews to help make a decision. Sorry, but that’s just a fact. Not everyone is 100% convinced that they’re going to purchase something, even if the coverage for the game has been positive leading up to that point.
[/quote]

I don’t know how reliable early-copy reviews are nowadays though

Honestly, the best types of reviews come from your average YouTubers which don’t come until after the game is released anyways. At least, I never look at GameSpot or even IGN for accurate reviews as much as I look at them for what they tend to favor. For actual reviews I look into TotalBiscuit or Gameranx.

Just my opinion though as any time I looked at early-copy reviews, I was left disappointed because I actually thought the scores were genuine.

Skyrim was an amazing addition to The Elder Scrolls, though, it had an extensive amount of advertising and newcomers praising the game. So I can see why it was overrated.

Ah
 yeah, they dropped the ball pretty hard on this game. It is an amazing open-world action shooter, but it lost the main elements that made it an RPG. New Vegas is still the best RPG-like Fallout since id software. Hopefully we can see Oblivion take on another Fallout project with modern technology.

Why? Was there a new update in the Division?

Don’t tell me

Added a Survival mode right? Lol

Survival both PvE and PvP. It is actually pretty cool, it’s basically Battle Royal with PvP and PvE makes teamwork and betrayal abundant. You have to survive from the infection, cold and enemies. You start off with limited supplies, you must scavenge for warmer clothes, supplies and medicine so that you can craft better equipment and a flare gun for extraction.

I’m going to try and convince Dragon to get it, maybe it will be what makes this game fun again.

Edit: [quote=“TheNinjaOstrich, post:26, topic:16431”]
Don’t tell me

Added a Survival mode right? Lol
[/quote]

Maybe :joy:

1 Like

I’ll see if I can get it. Buying Christmas presents for family :slight_smile:

Let’s play it again soon! I’d love to play it once again. I miss the game.

1 Like

Skyrim being overrated (as is the case for many other games) depends on opinion and where you look. Some people absolutely detest the game, just as there are people who give it an unreasonable amount of credit.

I don’t agree with the Fallout series being ruined. It’s changed a lot and I don’t agree with everything Bethesda has done with it, but the games still have their merits and remain very fun to me.

1 Like

Uh bruh, just dished out $174 this morning on gifts. Christmas was fun as a child but not so much anymore

1 Like

no sir, you’re good. i just re-read my post and i see that my articulation fail was pretty bad LOL. i was half asleep this morning

what i SHOULDVE said was that the reviews thing is a serious issue in that gaming media has been complicit with games that were failures in recent history. like they gave them scores much higher than they deserved. in the case of star citizen’s scamming of its own backers of their hard earned dollars as well as other ethical atrocities committed, the gaming media is complicit in that they do not cover this at all or speak nothing of it when they do talk about star citizen. only Kotaku UK did a recent 5 part coverage series that was in depth.

everybody else though? crickets. they’re probably afraid because the game has its own cult following that will throw themselves to the wire mercilessly to shout down any who speak of it negatively

2 Likes

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying. I was wondering where you were coming form on that, but now I know, it’s all good. I’ll be honest, I didn’t know what you were talking about with Star Citizen, but now that you’ve brought it up, I think I might go and educate myself on the matter, so thanks!

1 Like

you should look into it and see what a horrifying mess it is, its really bad. LOL

1 Like

I’m not boycotting anyone at the moment. This is a slippery slope for me, and as a consumer/gamer I think we have some responsibility to simply buy good games that we like so that we see more of those type of games.

I don’t want to get too deeply into the review score issue, but since @Dayv0 tagged me I will say that I think I reviewers do their best to be objective. I’m sure that publishers marketers and publicity people all pressure reviewers and sites in their own ways. I actually see less evidence that big game franchises / companies get favorable treatment than that reviewers tend to give favorable reviews to companies and teams that they like. I don’t think that’s a conspiracy or corruption, I just think it’s human nature. I see a lot of indie games getting very inflated scores and being addressed with a lot of hyperbole they don’t deserve, and I just think it’s a function of the fact that reviewers play every game and they value things that are new and different. Journey is a 10? If you are interested in using reviews to inform your purchase then you have to find reviewers whose opinions are well aligned with your own. And don’t just read the number, read what they actually say. I’ve enjoyed he hell out of some games that got meh review scores.

2 Likes

I mean, I don’t really outright boycott things so much as I just don’t buy them. After a rather spendy 2014/2015, I got burned too many times to be hopeful on a lot of games.
I stopped bothering with Ubisoft, EA, Activision, and probably a few others just because I don’t think the purchase is worth it and their business practices tend to be really dumb.

Only game I decided against buying on principle in recent memory was Halo 5. Halo without split screen might as well not be Halo, if you ask me. Local multiplayer is a big part of why I like having a big brick under my TV.

Bethesda has me a bit worried, though. I’ve generally been pretty satisfied with the games I’ve gotten from them, but that review policy is kinda bonkers.

I will throw my hat in the ring. :slight_smile:

I have boycotted SEGA for 20 years. Now if you think Bethesda, and others are bad, then what do you think of this.

Sega was known for releasing game consoles, and about 6 games when they came out. They would support the console for about 6 months, then stop all game making and support. They did this trick a few times.

Does anyone here remember the blank Sega Dreamcast disks?

I was happy to be a playstation owner.

Honestly, I don’t try to boycott publishers because if a game comes out that I like, I don’t care who published it.

That being said, 2K is likely to never get another cent out of me. They drove Evolve into the ground and treated the developers like ■■■■, and their game servers are getting shitier with every release. If it wasn’t for their monopoly on Baseball games and WWE, they would have went belly up a long time ago.

Boycott is a strong word
but Nintendo has been on my crap list for a good long while. I kinda grew up as a Nintendo kid, too. Had a NES, got a SNES, got a N64, played the hell out of various Zelda, Mario, Metroid titles as well as others.

It was around when the Gamecube came out that they started losing me and it snowballed from there. Selling that console with the little micro disks
How they didn’t ever produce enough of the Wii consoles at the beginning of it’s life
the mentality “switch” to a more casual gamer retention
the debacle where they nearly killed Smash from EVO a few years back
How, as i understand it, putting their content out on something like youtube entitles them to like 3/4 of any earnings off it
Their kinda wonky approach to online gaming and their initial insistence that it, paraphrasing, wasn’t worth it
And just their kinda nose-to-the-sky feel

what pissed me off about nintendo was their treatment of the boys who made that awesome Another Metroid Remake 2 (or whatever it was called). nintendo didnt tell them to cease and desist on creating that remake at the start of the project, or at least during its early years, which i am sure they knew about because of various coverage it was getting. no, they waited until 8 years later and during metroid’s recent anniversary when they finished the remake to kill the project. that is extremely coldhearted. “we’re gonna let you toil and struggle for nearly a decade
then we’re gonna kill your game.” WTF nintendo.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, Sega CD and 32X weren’t “consoles.” They were just add ons to the Genesis. I commend them for wanting to extend the life of that system, but yeah the way they went about it was awful.

There were a few good games for each add on, as Sega CD had Sonic CD, Eternal Champions, Snatcher, Shining Force, Lunar EB and Lunar TSS, Final Fight, Ecco the Dolphin etc. I’m more than ashamed to admit that I actually had some fun with a few of those awful FMV games that the add on is most remembered for like Sewer Shark, Sherlock Holmes, etc. Same goes with 32X: Doom, Blackthorne, Knuckles Chaotix, a few Virtua games, Star Wars, etc.

But, for their prices, and their total libraries, they were still abject failures and I can’t defend that. Especially the 32X. I still think that both were good ideas, but it was still Sega going too far out there with their ideas.

Saturn was the only real big failure and a lot of what they did could provide lessons to companies like Sony for years to come. A difficult to program for console, keeping so many games in Japan, launching with only three games (VF, Daytona and Panzer Dragoon), a freakin stealth launch, and a price point of $400, allowing Sony that “walk up, $299, walk off” that basically killed the Saturn in one fell swoop.

I saved up for an entire summer doing odd job; mowing lawns, painting decks, pulling tile, I painted a chain link fence, which takes way longer than you might think lol. All so I could get a Saturn, my first system. I loved it! Virtua Fighter and VF2, Nights, Battle Arena Toshinden, Panzer Dragoon, Zwei 2 and Saga, Dragon Force, Bug, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, all the arcade fighters it got from Ultimate MK3 to X-Men, Shinobi Legions, NHL All Star Hockey and so on and so on.

I’ve owned every Sony system, including both portables, and I had some awesome memories with the PSone (FF7, Crash, Twisted Metal 2, to name only a few), but I’ve never hated a console manufacturer more than the day when Sony effectively drove the nail in to the coffin of my first system, that I paid for with my own sweat, and doing so in such smug fashion.

Of course, Sega muscled their way in to the market in similar fashion with their Nintendon’t campaign, and deep down I know that they were the architects of their own demise with the Saturn, but where Sega was muscling in to a market dominated by Nintendo, Sony was directly kicking a vulnerable competitor when they were down and I’ll never forgive them for that or in hastening the demise of my first console.

As for the Dreamcast, it’s still one of my all time favorite consoles. Yes, I’m one of those people and I always have been. It launched with 17 games, the biggest console launch at that time, and it included Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Ready to Rumble Boxing, House of the Dead 2, Mortal Kombat Gold, Hydro Thunder, NFL 2K and the amazing Soul Calibur which, to this day is still one of the best games I’ve ever played at a system launch, I think only Halo comes close.

There were a ton of great games on this system from Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 to the awesome 2K sports games from Visual Concepts, to Quake 3, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, MVC2, Jet Grind Radio, RE Code Veronica, Ecco the Dolphin, Virtual On, weird crap like Samba de Amigo and Seaman, and a metric ton of fighting games from 3rd Strike to Garou: Mark of the Wolves to Project Justice and the best versions of several games like LoK: Soul Reaver and much much more. It was also the first system I’d ever played an online game on (NFL 2K1) m and it was awesome.

Then Sony came along with the PS2 and classics like Kessen and Fantavision and a stable of worse sports titles from EA and blew the Dreamcast out of the water. Okay, they did have SSX, which I loved, along with Tekken Tag, DOA2, Timesplitters and Unreal Tournement, but without anything approaching a real system selling killer app, they crushed a system that, in my opinion, had far better games at that point.

All of this is a long way of saying that while Sega screwed up with some add ons and made mistakes with the Saturn, Sony crushing them twice(first on price, then on name recognition) had as much to do with Sega putting out consoles with short lives as anything else.

I really liked the PSone and PS2, but I was glad MS took a page out of Sony’s book by undercutting the PS3’s price, even if they caught up and ultimately did the same thing to MS this generation. At least MS has the money to learn from their mistakes with. Sega didn’t have that luxury, which is why they couldn’t spend years trying to pry EA, Namco and other companies away from Sony or learn from their mistakes the way MS has.

Either way, I always saw Sega like I see Nintendo: Innovative to a fault. Sony’s not innovative. They see what’s successful and they copy it. Discs instead of carts, online console gaming, motion controls, VR, etc. If someone else can open a market door, they’ll walk in too. They’re smart. They don’t take a lot of chances. VR’s probably the biggest chance they’ve ever taken. Though if it doesn’t work, I’m sure it’ll get the slow goodbye that Vita got, which is fine.

Either way, I can see why so many like Sony. They’re reliable. They’re not going to put out a Wii U or a Saturn that sputters and fails. I just don’t see them as being much more than that, especially post-PS2. I’m much more console agnostic than this post indicates. I have been ever since the Saturn failed. I go where the games are.

Still, what do I know? I’d still buy a Dreamcast 2 should Sega ever make one and it’d almost assuredly fail lol.

I dont know what games 2K specifically make themselves, but they are the publishers of the GTA, Xcom, Bioshock series among many more
So I doubt they would go ‘belly up’ :wink: Especially now with Red Dead Redemption 2 on the horizon