Board Gaming Thread!

Cool stuff man. I always wanted to get into paining miniatures, but just never did. I know it can be an expensive hobby, but they look so cool.

i got a bunch of warhammer 40k models ive done. i really need to finish! but its so much work and i have too many space wolves needing completion on top of tau, chaos boys, tyranids, necrons, and other things.

anyway…anybody ever play Hero Quest??? that game was sooo awesome!

Finished the basic Necromancer and basic Abomination!

2 Likes

You painted those? Looks Sick!

Thanks! I’m about… 15% done with a 72 miniature set, with something like 100-150 more minis coming in a couple months. I’ve been painting miniatures for tabletop war games for years, and I’ve managed to accumulate some decent skills, though there are SO many other people who put my stuff to shame. But it’s nicer than playing with bare metal or plastic miniatures.

The Zombicide miniatures are the first project I’ve taken on involving a board game, rather than an army which needs to look matching, so I’m experimenting with different color combinations I haven’t used before. I can display some of my painted Warmachine models here later tonight so you guys can see what those look like.

Just tagging you guys in here in case you wanted to share wargaming stories.

I was big into both WFB and 40k, but eventually sold off my stuff; I’m currently into Warmachine/Hordes, which in my mind is a lot more straightforward with rules, and easier to buy/paint/play with an entire army.

I already have $1000+ in 40k. My main army is Tau and I also have a few Grey Knights.

Just a picture of one of my hauls almost 2 years ago:

Starting top left: Riptide $85 > Hammerhead $60 > Devilfish $38> Crisis Suits $75 > Pathfinders $35 > Big Box is 1 Riptide, 6 Broadsides, and 14 Drones This is no longer sold but was $385

Total = $678 just in this picture.

And some models I’ve finished:

Fireblade Cadre

Commander

Overview of the Commander, some Crisis suits, the Fireblade Cadre, and some Firewarriors

Devilfish with Hammerhead Drones attached because it looked better for the picture.

I’m working on my Riptides and Broadsides right now.

1 Like

I actually played Warhammer for a little bit. I was fun when my friend had it. :yum:

Google says you’re referencing the deck builder Dominion. I’m interested to hear about what I’ve heard is the largest deck builder, considering I know there’s a large amount of expansions to buy for it.

Dominion is fun! But it’s a little old now, and you can probably find a lot of more interesting deck-building games within the last few years.

Also, Dominion plays a lot faster online than in real life, because the setup/teardown for it (with expansions) is pretty brutal. If you can find an online implementation of it, definitely give it a try.

The only deck-builder I’ve got personal experience with so far is Smashup!

It’s on the simpler end, but I like the back and forth between players each turn, and the combinations you can come up with using the different decks.

You basically take two types of sci-fi/fantasy creatures and mix the two decks together. So you can play Zombie Robots versus Wizard Ninjas, for example.

1 Like

Getting back into painting my miniatures for Warmachine and the Zombicide Black Plague board game, thought it was worthwhile to revive this thread rather than making a new one.

Check out these models; my newest acquired Warcaster (leader) model and two Warjacks (essentially walking sentient steam/magic tanks)

1 Like

Just figured I’d drop by and brag about a little crowning achievement of mine for tabletop gaming.

So a friend and I decided to play a bit o’ World of Darkness. (For those who don’t know, WoD is a tabletop RPG that uses exclusively D10’s for all rolls, be it stats, damage, save throws, or whatever, in an attempt to simplify the D&D format.) Now, first starting out I was under the impression that we’d be in a * classic fantasy* setting, so I set about making myself a barbarian woman because that sounded like a fun idea. Unbeknownst to me until a bit later, though, is that WoD campaigns tend to be predominantly modern in setting. I was already too deep to quit, so I decided to translate my amazon warrior into a modern character, wholesale.

And thus, Beth was born; all 6’6" of her. A natural all-star athlete who by all means could’ve gotten a full ride to any university in the country on sports scholarships alone… If she were a bit brighter. See, being originally designed as a barbarian character, she wasn’t the sharpest crayon in the box. Sure she had common sense and enough smarts to make it through most of high-school, but Beth wasn’t going to be winning any nobel prizes… Or spelling bees.

I’m going to have to dig out her character sheet one of these days, but the stats she wound up with her absolutely terrifying. Her strength was close to the maximum the starting level would allow, and her speed/initiative rolls would’ve made more sense if they were attached to a horse.
She also had an abnormally high level of charisma, mostly for intimidation checks. Of course, despite her own dominant personality, she wasn’t very good at deciphering truth from fiction, and was trusting to a fault.

Over the course of her escapades, Beth’s had some rather marvelous achievements. For example…
-After surviving a fall from a second story window, Beth ran a city block filled with zombies to take cover in a nearby Denny’s.

-Beth once broke a man in half with a single swing of a baseball bat.

-Beth no longer views Volkswagen Beetles as vehicles. Rather, she views them as projectiles.

In fact, her absurd acts of strength on the tabletop have led to her becoming my go to OC stand in for when I need to create a melee/anger focused character in video games, most prominently as my avatar in the Dark Souls franchise (where I cam justify her wielding an Ultra-Greatsword and a Havel’s Greatshield in unison), as well as Saints Row 4 and Sunset Overdrive.

Beth was a wonderfully serendipitous moment in my history tabletop gaming, and her legacy will live on in future gaming.

Found this a while ago, I cannot stop laughing :joy:

1 Like

No big deal, just some more Warmachine painting progress.

5 Likes

Dude those are beautiful! What brand and paint type are you using?

Thanks! Currently I’m using a combination of Citadel paints and Army Painter paints and washes. I use them for both Warmachine and Zombicide stuff.

Are you working on any projects right now?

1 Like

No, I don’t have the time for another hobby. Though, I do have miniatures for my Gears of War board game that I’ve been wanting to paint.

So looking at the art is giving me some cool ideas.

I recommend looking up the guides on the Army Painter website regarding basecoat->wash->highlight techniques. Washes are really thin ink/paints which help give shading and realism. If you look close at my brass and steel you can see they’ve been dulled down a bit using washes.

1 Like

The paint jobs in these models are wonderful!