At Least I Have Hands: a thread for therapy and amputee jokes

Glad to hear you are doing better. I wish you the best!

The knee is pretty nifty, but my terminology is a bit rusty, so bear w me.

The knee is a sorta crescent shaped guide atop the leg-post that attaches to the thigh-cup, w two interlocked hinges, which place itā€™s pivot point somewhere just behind the lower thigh, and allows the leg to effectively shorten on the swing of a step. When the leg is straight, with weight on the heel, the knee locks for stability. When pressure is put on the toe of the prosthetic, the knee unlocks and allows the leg to swing back as it is brought forward and down, if that makes senseā€¦

3 Likes

wow, thatā€™s pretty interesting. Id like to see it in action. Im going to youtube it.

Okay, so - my phone is sorta bupkis and as such wonā€™t record video, so maybe when waifu gets home, but!!! (thatā€™s an excited ellipsis)

I am (on my way to being) a biped again! Also, @FallofSeraphs76, close-ups of the knee.
Straight, locked

45degree, unlocked

90degree (sit position), unlocked

11 Likes

Pretty cool! Glad to see youā€™re getting back on your feet!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Does it come with a cupholder?

8 Likes

Iā€™m working on a design for a utility garter as we speak.

5 Likes

Does that include a laser cannon? :slight_smile:

At the very least,

PS: @MDMMORNING Good to know youā€™re doing really well! The prosthetic does look like it needs a little bling though, can the IG team maybe figure out a way to release a Gold skin for it?

4 Likes

Reminds me of a story idea the fiance and I came up with where a necromancer uses what is essentially a race of self replicating carnivorous cenobites to do their house work. Those little undead maid beasts are actually part of where I got my online handle.

TL;DR- I support utility garters.

1 Like

Dang, I was thinking the exact same thing with Robocop.:joy:

2 Likes

O.o fiance? Last I recall, she was ā€œthe lady friendā€. Congratulations! Treat her well, and I wish you two a lifetime of happiness and success!

2 Likes

FEB UPDATE:

I walked into the market today. I ended up using a wheelchair for shopping, because golly is ambulation exhausting, but walked into the market and from the cashier back to the car. Iā€™ve been taking PT pretty seriously, taking my body and health seriously, and that actually consumes quite a chunk of my days, but if it helps me see tomorrow, itā€™s time well spent.

I wanna thank all of you again for helping me keep my chin up. It hasnā€™t been easy, but it couldā€™ve been a lot harder.

7 Likes

Thats great man! Glad to hear you are back to normal living!

1 Like

Thatā€™s good to hear man. I love getting these updates.

I think we need some more pictures of the Fulgore leg so we can figure out how to mod itā€¦

2 Likes

Worrrd! Itā€™s amazing how few results Google turns up when searchedā€¦

Not much has changed since last post, or rather, life has changed a lot but in very tiny, incremental steps. Iā€™m stronger and more mobile than all of last year; the last few trips to market have seen an exhausting but complete walkabout, no wheels. I still use a cane when walking, but by golly is walking in a straight line fast and fantastic, so long as I donā€™t have to adjusty trajectory. Turning, and turning about, are still sorta clumsy, but otherwise Iā€™ve figured out the mechanical stilt. It is less like walking and more like flinging my body thru space and time, in miniscule bursts, and catching myself delicately before balancing on my bum while I toss my good leg forward, and repeat. Walking is sorta fun.

10 Likes

This is the best thing I have heard in a long time.

9 Likes

@MDMMORNING Thought Iā€™d see how you might be doing, hope youā€™re well.

I will be extremely disappointed if you donā€™t take advantage of the whole ā€œshark ate my legā€ gag at least once at the beach this summer. Hop to it!

3 Likes