At Least I Have Hands: a thread for therapy and amputee jokes

First of all, it’s good to hear from you and congrats. Only an insurance company would think that a leg is “optional.”

I saw a tweet the other day about a guy with one leg and his Halloween costumes over the years. Let me see if I can dig it up and post it here. This should be your favorite time of the year…

3 Likes

Awesome stuff dude, glad your insurance company finally came to reason - wishing you the best this Thursday!

Happy Halloween

1 Like

Here we go. I actually saw this because @STORM179 retweeted or liked it.

https://twitter.com/crazzyintheusa/status/924581136722006016

They are all good but the flamingo and Tigger are inspired.

6 Likes

Yeah, that guy! His costumes are the best! Especially the latter two, for sure. I think next year I might just jock that Tigger - it’s too good not too. I guess that largely depends on the weather though.

This year we bleached my hair to be Macaulay Culkin during the Halloween dance from “Saved!” - unfortunately my hair hates being coloured so instead of lightening to blonde, it stopped at tangerine, and now I’m pretty sure the reference will be lost. I could always toss on an maroon sweater and be Mark Cohen from the opening of the “Rent” film adaptation, when he’s on his bicycle. I do look an awful lot like Anthony Rapp (or so I’m told). Still undecided, but we’re just passing out candy until the teenagers girlyfriend leaves, so I’ve time to hash it out yet.

How’s about y’all? Any costumes or plans?

Well I’m naturally bleach blonde. :smiley:

1 Like

I miss the passion I used to have for this holiday. Hope everyone goes wild.

1 Like

I haven’t gone wild in ages… :frowning:

Never mind… I main Sadira. :smiley:

1 Like

Watch out for people dressed as Kevin Spacey…

I’m going as a middle aged dad.

3 Likes

As usual Im dressing as 1 of 6 different Michael Myers…I can never choose till the last minute but right now Im feeling my RZ1 Myers “Artifact” mask and original 70’s Big Macs Spruce Green coveralls.
But I have the MMP nightmare from H1 on standby. Last year I went as Ben Tramer version of Myers from H2.
Oh and I have the H1 soundtrack on my iphone that plays in my pocket lol

3 Likes

After a bit of groping, a lot of close-quarters measuring, and some neato 3d scanning, a pile of data relevant to my stump is off to some facility to get transmuted (by the magic of plastic casting) into the first test prosthetic! It’ll still be some time before I actually take it home and start scheduling “gait training” w the PT folks, and something like 8-10mo before we get to the “definitive prosthetic” (that doesn’t come w a gold skin, no matter how much I protested that I deserved it because they used the ‘d’ word XD).

But for now I just go about life and wait for them to call.

5 Likes

This just reminds me of a behind the scenes thing I read about the original Ringu, if Sadako’s walk is what you’re left with after said training, be sure to film yourself doing it and mail it off to some horror studio for massive gains.

Gold spray paint is your friend, it’s in all the stores around Christmas, it must be done!

2 Likes

Why does this remind me so much of my teenage years…

LMFAO. Nice.

My boss and her husband are in Ghana visiting a daughter doing volunteer work at a school there. They were asked to take a 3D printed arm to a kid in the village. So they had to carry it in the overhead bin.

3 Likes

Hey, DON’T forget to send them a 3d model of Fulgore’s leg for the prostethic.
I mean, it wouldn’t hurt to ask…

5 Likes

I couldn’t help it. They actually use the term “definitive”!

And man oh man, do I hope to someday be able to carry my leg and stow it in an overhead. Contortionists? Checkmate.

@WrathOfFulgore Yusssssss! They do laminate fabric and the like into the cosmetic casing (shin/calf), so I think they may be DIY moddable. By golly, I’m gonna find out!

2 Likes

Hey man,
It’s been a while. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Give us an update on the bionics when you have a chance.

6 Likes

He’s only been gone because he’s getting the Cyborg treatment now. The motherbox goes in tomorrow.

6 Likes

Or he is being secretly trained as a one-legged Ninja, as there aren’t many of those around. :smiley:

2 Likes

“Hokay, so…”

Wowie, how time flies. Hope all of ya (in the US) found Thanksgiving well, and nobody suffered any heinous Black Friday injuries (though I must assume frequent forum-goers of any sort would be Cyber Monday-savvy).

Dooby is pretty darned close, actually! Life has been sorta busy, down and up, as life is wont to be. Had my second meeting w the prosthetist, which was something of a fitting. Spent a lil more than an hour putting a prosthetic on and taking it off while the nice lady took it next door and heated, reshaped, cooled and cut various pieces, both shin and thigh, came back and repeated til we had one that was the correct length and shape. She also spent a lil time explaining how the knee worked, and I took my first awkward cyborg steps. Definitely gonna take practice, as walking becomes a bit of a process, but that’s a given. The best part: she expects to have a version I can take home for PT by the Solstice, or shortly thereafter!

So, very soon I will be back on my feet! Then it’s just a matter of getting off the ground, so to speak. I don’t just see a light at the tunnel mouth, I can see the snowdrifts and evergreens beyond.

Still no luck on mirror therapy in southeast Michigan, but the phantom sensations aren’t nearly as bad now, both because the horrendously painful spikes have mostly ceased as the nerves heal, and because I’ve sorta gotten used to the lesser fuzzy ‘awareness’ as a constant background sensation, sorta like the rise and fall of ones chest while breathing - it’s always happening, one can always feel it, but tends not to notice it unless one is actively paying attention to it. Yknow?

12 Likes

Good to hear! As I was reading about the leg and knee…I was wonder…how does the knee work? Can you explain?

That’s awesome! Glad to hear everything is going so well for you!