At Least I Have Hands: a thread for therapy and amputee jokes

I really appreciate all the support. This is what I’m talking about, this community is incredible.

@Infilament We haven’t scheduled a date yet. Most of the surgical wounds are pretty well healed, and I should be going home from the PT facility later this week. Still gotta schedule staple and suture removal, then I imagine a couple weeks later I should be ready, plus an extra week of not taking blood thinners. My INR still isn’t in the target range, so they might want me to hit the target before going off blood thinners, so that’ll be a little extra time. I would imagine that, much like my anniversary that just passed, I’ll be in recovery for Valentine’s as well (as a rough estimate).
Special thanks to you, Infil - your guide was a massive headstart for me, and filled a couple early days while I read it “cover-to-cover”. You are a huge part of what got me into the game and community in the first place. Keep being you, man.

@Dayv0 You made me tear up. I love you, man.

@FeverAyeAye @Jared3193
Nah, don’t be sad for me. I’ll be alright. I’ve got great family, and a supportive community behind me. Y’all just keep being yourselves, and I’ll be just fine. :smiley:

@DoobyDude23 Oh YOU XD!!!

4 Likes

When I wrote my guide at first, it was really just “let me tell people about what Jago’s combo trait is.” Eventually it became “maybe I can kinda teach people how fighting games work a bit while I’m at it.” At no point back then, or even now really, did I imagine my guide could be used in some small way to help people through a difficult time in their life. Don’t even really know how to respond to it, really… if that ended up being a side effect for even just one person, it’ll have made all the work worthwhile.

11 Likes

Well then, consider your hard work worthwhile, my friend.

For example, I hadn’t found your guide until shortly before I actually bought the game, but I had been spectating since Aganos reveal S2. Until I had read your guide, I had no concept of “combo traits” and I was often trying to figure out where the resource for combo breakers was coming from while I watched matches. Literally every aspect of the game, both play and especially spectating, became more enjoyable once these things made sense to me.

1 Like

You’re not the only one.

Speaking of which the bad part about prosthetics is their cost. Sure they’re coming down in price since the advent of 3D printing, but they’ll still cost you an arm or a leg. :wink:

6 Likes

+1

It’s kinda funny, I broke my arm several months ago, and during the time I couldn’t play the game, I read Infil’s guide a lot, so I can totally understand that feeling

1 Like

OMG!!! I laughed so loud the nurse in the hallway came in to ask if everything was okay!

8 Likes

Glad to have been of service. :grin::thumbsup:

3 Likes

HOT DAMN!
My friend has a few stories I keep prompting him to telll on these here forums about his recovery from his 2 year relationship. It hit him hard cause they were perfect for each other and when he had to finally pick up and move away, ■■■■ went south and he wasnt the same.

After RIGOROUS Dark Souls 3 playthroughs, Learning Riptor and general Raam, he seems to have recovered. He himself even said the only thing keepin him going at times was the challenge Dark Souls 3 brought him and the difficulty of learning to play KI. He refused to let me teach him characters and wanted to learn it all himself.

2 Likes

Also, Michigan? Hell yeah! Upper Peninsula. Live on the border of Hurley and Ironwood. Come to Hurley on vacation, leave on probation.

1 Like

I really appreciate all the support. This is what I’m talking about, this community is incredible.

@Infilament We haven’t scheduled a date yet. They tell me I’ll be able to go home from the PT facility later this week, I’ve been making really good progress, keepin’ my chin up. Still have to schedule staple/suture removal, and finish healing (106 staples, 25 sutures between both legs, it’s pretty gruesome) from these surgeries. First they want me hit target INR, which I haven’t yet, then they’ll want me off blood thinners for a week before undergoing the surgery, so I imagine with a little luck I’ll be in recovery around Valentines, hopefully. Kinda sucks, considering my wife and I just celebrated our 5yr from this hospital bed a few days ago, but what’s one to do? If we can get a good timeframe, I’ll be able to make it up to her w/ picnics in the summertime, so I look forward to that.

I think a big part is just maintaining a positive outlook. Between my loving family and this awesome community, I am in no short supply of psychological sunshine. I’ll be alright, and I can’t wait to meet the future running.

1 Like

No doubt, a real live Yooper KI player! Dude, you’re like a mythical creature!

I’m just a run-of-the-mill LP city dweller, from Mt. Clemens…

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and show some support, man. Much love from the Glove.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you a speedy recovery after your difficult time and decision. I’m glad our work could help you cope with a difficult time. Always keep fighting.

15 Likes

Oh wow, thank you for taking the time out of your day to read and respond. Thank YOU and the rest of the team for all of your hard work. You guys are brilliant, truly.

This is gonna sound really corny, but you’re my hero (at the very least, my most adored “celebrity”), Keits. I am almost overwhelmed w awe that you’d reach out like this. Please keep up the good work for as long as you can, and always stay you. Midbest for life!

3 Likes

Are you the legs version of TJ Combo?

6 Likes

Gettin’ there!

3 Likes

If your situation ever allows you to travel to an event I’m at, come say hi!

5 Likes

Oh, most definitely!

2 Likes

Wow. :sob:

I’m sorry you have to go through this! I don’t have much to say. But I can say one thing.

We are all here for you. The KI Community is one huge family. We all care for our members, and will support them until the end. We will be here, waiting to hear your successful recovery! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey man, no need to be sorry. Things are on the up’n’up for me, and this thread has proved beyond doubt that the KI community has my back, thick and thin. I was nervous to share, but a friend from here convinced me it’d be good, and it truly has been.

Just keep being you, Ostrich, that’s all I ask.

3 Likes

Here’s to your speedy recovery

5 Likes