At Least I Have Hands: a thread for therapy and amputee jokes

lololol… its hard to start playing guitar late in life. I recommend that if anyone is going ot begin playing its at an early age…like 11-12. But it can be done…but its takes much longer to catch up to being able to play seriously. Since the older you are the less time you have to sit in your room and woodshed all day and night.

But with all the learning tools out now a days… Rock smith, online lessons, tabulature for every song ever made free on line…phpphhh … I had to buy guitar magazines when i was young to learn songs or figure them out by ear. It was tough. We traded tabs in school too…i still have all those mags and tabs in an old box. Went through them 2 weeks ago… memories.

That’s all true. But one of the nice things (in my opinion) about acoustic guitar is that even some very simple things that you can learn relatively easily can sound pretty good. Anyone with fingers can learn to play a recognizable version of “Free Falling” in about ten minutes. Then practice smoother chord transitions and stamina while playing the simple pattern for longer etc. So, unlike with a horn or even piano, you don’t have to spend three years playing “Mary had a little lamb” in order to get good enough to play something recognizable. There’s also ample ways to simplify and cheat on stuff so you can play it at your own level while you develop the skills over time.

I think the key is to find a way to practice that you enjoy so that you will stick with it and get better.

3 Likes

Soz, I’ve been busting arse in PT and sleeping a ton, so I missed this whole conversation. Reading thru it just made me really glad to know the lot of you (well, insofar as we “know” one another… you know what I mean!). Insightful, encouraging, diverse, funny individuals.

@NitricZenith that bug gave me a wild idea for a future prosthetic, which is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately - custom prosthetic design/manufact as an eventual hobby that I could perhaps help others w (while helping pay bills on the sly, of course).

@BigBadAndy @FallofSeraphs76 the whole conversation about the modern ease of picking up strings late in life made think of two things: the boy has actually been expressing interest in helping me rediscover bass lately, which is really encouraging. I think that’d be a great bonding experiment, my stepson teaching me an instrument. The other is that the whole conversation parallels the whole prosthetic leg situation, which in turn is also very encouraging. I said it before, but I am glad to know y’all. This hospital stay has taught me that maybe I didn’t have as many real friends as I thought. Quality over quantity.

Update: I’m doing so well that tomorrow the hospital is going to give me a pass to go home for a few hours as a sort of test run. Really the biggest impediment for me I think is this goddamned urethral catheter, which comes out Mon or Tues. I know I won’t be here much longer.!

5 Likes

Glad to hear you are making progress man.

TOMORROW I GET TO LIVE IN MY OWN HOUSE AGAIN!!!

/capslock

12 Likes

You’ll probably feel a lot better about the whole situation once you set foot in your own home.

Wishing you the best of recoveries, man.

7 Likes

Goddamnit.

3 Likes

Oh my god.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure he’ll enjoy sitting back in his recliner and putting his feet up.

…It’s getting harder to come up with good foot jokes. I’m stumped.

6 Likes

The key is to show no mercy, bite at the target’s heels all the way.

And just when they look like they can’t take any more, sweep the leg, Johnny.

No really, sweep the discarded leg up and get rid of it, it’s gross to leave that laying around where someone could trip over it and break their one remaining ankle.

7 Likes

OMG you guys. Saving the best for last, were ye?

Yesterday was nap day. Nothing like a good hip stretch on a new bed to make one sleep 12 hours. Went to a diner for lunch, that was an exercise in patience and frustration, dunno what I was thinking, I was just hungry. Went to my sisters for supper, and that was way smoother. Got a nurse that comes out to my house to make sure I’m not gangrenous and draw blood. That’s fun.

Just like… 2-3 months of hopping w a walker before I get my first prosthetic. I’m real good at hopping though. And I can roll real fast in a wheelchair.

2 Likes

Have you started to plan your Halloween cosume?

I’d recommend making a cardboard box look like a kitchen sink with a garbage disposal, splattered in blood, and just bring that around with you at the party.

7 Likes

OMG @xSkeletalx. You’re too good a this.

1 Like

My other option was to use PVC pipe or cardboard to make an old school, bloodstained pencil sharpener that you could wear on the stump.

3 Likes

You could always do what Barbosa did in Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and fashion yourself a prosthetic that doubles as a flask.

2 Likes

@MDMMORNING Get a wig, some booty shorts, and an AR-15 and you could do a Planet Terror cosplay

8 Likes

You know, it just occurred to me…

…If you really want to mess with people’s heads, get yourself an arm prosthetic for your leg.

6 Likes

Hey man, it’s been a week @MDMMORNING. We need an update to keep us on our toes.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m about to have a calf over here waiting for news. I can’t stand it. Hearing about how well things have been going for you is this lousy situation has just been the bee’s knees. Plus all these leg jokes are my Achilles’ heel.

:grin::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes, all five of them!

2 Likes