Advice for a Return

Currently the best character in the game

1 Like

Finally got set up last night. Took the old girl out for a spin… I am RUSTY! Lost a lot of my timing, and that auto-response you get when you’ve been playing a character for a while is gone. My offense was very stale and predictable, and I forgot I even have instinct. Got the ■■■ beat pretty well. It was nice to play again though.

2 Likes

Squee!!!

We need to play sometime. Get you warmed back up.

Absolutely! But I still need some time. I seem to be able to hang with the gold level players (unless they’re playing a S3 character), and that’s playing S2 Sadira w/o instinct. I don’t have juggles and am not using that flip-out mechanic. Not sure how useful flip-out is, but I did find one situation that could be good. And salticide, I haven’t used that either.

1 Like

I was more implying that we could play together, so I could show you the S3 ropes. :smiley: Although it would also probably be the only time I would be able to beat you anyway. :smiley:

Sadira actually makes very good use of Flip Out. I generally use Flip Out during a juggle as she moves pretty fast and its very easy to reset an individual who isn’t expecting it. If Sadira is grounded she not only gets to flip out the individual, she also gets to JC off of it as well, of which leads to some pretty gnarly interactions.

One basic, but incredibly effective combo I use off Throw is: Throw > M Widow’s Bite > LK… Sadira moves under the player as they fall and allows you to do a cross up combo. I generally go for a low attack.

I also use the “Sam D Special” (as he discovered it) off a Throw: Throw > M Widow’s Bite > Salticide (has to preformed pretty close to the ground) > LK flip out > micro dash forward > M Recluse.

It’s nasty and looks really cool. The LK flip out and micro dash actually forces Sadira to perform a glitch where she doesn’t auto correct and face the opponent after a flip out. This does something odd with the frames and you hit a close Recluse that immediately opens the opponent up with another combo.

Salticide is incredibly useful in that you can bounce off a player, change your direction, and bounce again. It is possible to bounce indefinitely. I once made a very rude player super salty by winning a match only use this. It’s a LOT like Chun-Li’s toe tap attack. During a juggle you can only bounce three times, while on a grounded player you can just keep bouncing. I use it for mix ups.

1 Like

I fall for this every time :).

1 Like

I’ve been exploring the throw into flip-out and which side Sadira lands and the various timings she arrives relative to the opponent. Not sure if landing before or after the opponent is better, but I’ve found a few nice set of options. Even used widow’s drop for some interesting stuff.

1 Like

If you land before the opponent you automatically cross up on them. I usually cross up grab or cross up low combo.

IG certainly gave Sadira a lot of tools, but sadly for some of the cast, especially S3 characters, they don’t give her much advantage.

Currently her worse matches in S3 are (still) Thunder, Eyedol, Gargos, and General RAAM.

I’ve generally noticed she seems to have more trouble against the Season 3 roster than the others, with the Thunder exception.

Interestingly, I’ve also noted Season 2 characters seem to have less presence, at least in my level of Ranked. I see Season 1 and 3 all the time, but much less Season 2.

I plated an Eyedol this weekend and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I did score a win (5-1 Eyedol), but it was not easy and it took me 2-3 matches to figure out what was happening. Got my ■■■ beat by a Shin Hisako as well. :crazy_face:

I think this is the nature of the season approaches in fighting games. Later seasons have the benefit of the developers seeing where the game is going and what would be cool to add. Just look at SFV, some of the most interesting characters there are from S3 and beyond. Not to mention, when I look at some of the S3 roster, some of them have traits that would be cool to have in S1 characters. Rash, as an example, has a series of moves that would suit Sadira very nicely. That zip would be a dream to have. The cannonball… doesn’t take much imagination to see that as a web swing. I remember complaining about this a lot back in S2, as the new characters were released, it seemed some of the S1 characters were being left behind. Glacius was the original zoner, I could argue that if you wanted to zone in KI, there are 3 characters that can do it better than Glacius.

2 Likes

Yes, Rash seems to me like what Sadira “wishes she could be,” so to speak. Many of the same concepts, but done better for how the game currently is.

For zoning, Kilgore, absolutely the zoner of the game.

2 Likes

He is literally a better Sadira… but I’m not playing as a frog.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ve never liked Battletoads personally.

Now if he was a turtle, it’d be a better sell for me. But he’s not.

2 Likes

Ok, so I decided to take my 50% Sadira into ranked and go ahead and qualify. I went 7-3, all losses to killers and the thing placed me in…
SILVER!
Ok, so I decided this would be good b/c I can work my way through the silver ranks and get warmed up. But I don’t know if the league ranks really mean anything anymore. B/c I probably only fought 4 silver players, a hand full of bronze, and the rest were all gold or killers. The majority were definitely gold.

But here are some few things I noticed/learned.

1. It is not better for Sadira to land after the flip-out. This works against lower-level players, but higher-level players recognize the flip-out and are doing something to handle the follow-up attack. Also, lots of people like to air-break.

2. A lot of players in the gold ranks are relying on onetime win strategies that will work against an opponent the first time they are used, but once I’ve seen it, it won’t work again. An example is Jago doing wind-kick to get in, block the counter poke, and then shadow counter, expecting a second poke or the follow-up special.

3. Things I need to improve upon are using instinct (I got this far w/o a single pop) and using the new toys. I still have no juggles and have sparingly used salticide (but when I did, opponents didn’t do well against it). Also, my empty jump into low/throw game is still… lacking. And I am struggling against late S2 and S3 characters.

I’m getting there, and with any luck will be able to make @Juxtapose13 lobby and ensure certain players don’t rack up double digit win streaks. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Is that a challenge? :joy_cat:

In respect to Sadira’s Flip Out… It’s quite a bit more powerful than you realize. Once Sadira gets in her groove, she can do a lot of nutty things. If I do an M Widow’s Bite into LK (flip out), I mix things up a bit by either grapping them immediately. If they try to grab me (at high level this happens a lot), then I’ll automatically tech it. If they try to block, then I’ll grab them. I’ll also cross up with cr. MK or LK into combo. If I’m feeling really creative, I’ll cross up JC S. Widow’s Bite, especially if they are going to try to grab me.

I’ll keep looking at that flip-out, then. And remember, there’s only room for one at the top of the mountain.

1 Like

Something else I’ve noticed in my matches today was after a combo breaker (my combo being broken) my opponent would respond with a forward-moving shadow move. ie, Jago’s shadow wind kick, and I would always get hit. This is new to me, I don’t recall that being a response in S2. What is the appropriate response in a combo-breaking scenario?

1 Like

Sadly there isn’t much that you can do in that scenario. Both Jago and Hisako can strike with a Shadow attack before you hit the ground.

If they don’t immediately strike out, you can block it.

1 Like

That’s a load of crap.

On another note, I finally got to play against a real Rash player today. Is there as much hate for this dude as there was for Sadira in S1/S2? B/c some of his tools are a little ridiculous. The wrecking ball has armor! Really?! Armor!? I figured out how to handle it, but the punish isn’t so damaging that it would prevent this dude from just continuing to do it. And when he zips right in front of you, what is the appropriate punish?

1 Like