3 new characters?! First up: Kilgore!

XD Om my god, lol!

Totally the vibe I’m getting to!

it’s not his gameplay I’m worried about, it’s his visual. Aside from the history that made him as he is now the ultimate burning man from the sun. I feel “human” Cinder may actually be pretty boring. Unless of course they give him a suit or some kind of military stuff on his own. IDK.

On the upside imagine him wearing a funny shirt to work “something about Mondays” etc. Cause That was obviously something about his personality.

I dont mind “quicker” to make clone characters as long as they aren’t like SF2, SF4 clone characters.

The thing about Street Fighter prior to SF5, using some characters people dont realize:

Blank and Honda were clones. Yes they looked different, but the template of their moves was the same. They had a torpedo move, a rapid push attack movie (elec vs hundred hands), they had that sky dive move. Essentially its the same template with some modifications. everyone knows of Ryu/Ken (minor differences, but essentially the same character).

Now look @ Shadow Jago and Jago. The difference in Shadow Jago vs Jago is a lot larger than Ryu and Ken.

Killgore’s moved seem a lot differetn than Fullgore even though their base design may be similar.

Too me this is ok. KI has the most diverse roster in that no 2 characters are clones in the sense of the SF characters were. The move sets themselves are not clones of each other. Keeping the roster diverse is key to making KI stand out and keeping tournaments fun to watch etc.

I still hope we get more seasons with more unique characters on top of these bonus chars :slight_smile:

Its boring, flat out.

Take a spectacular character and strip them of their powers and see what happens? Ben Ferris wasn’t a super human fighter before be became Cinder, he would be a boring mercenary character and wouldn’t bring anything worthwhile to the table.

The characters are already established, if we want to see who they were beforehand that stuff can be taken care of in lore, books, comics, cut-scenes. It doesn’t need to be explored in-game as a playable piece of content, its fluff and doesn’t need to exist on the select screen, especially when there could be original ideas being implemented.

Sure it might be nice to see in-game as a what-if, or as a costume for an existing character but not over other original character designs on the roster. Congesting the character cast with doppelgangers isn’t my first choice of funding spent on the game.

4 Likes

I think he feels similar to how I do; Spinal’s draw is that he is an undead skeleton with “death magic” abilities. Creating a Kilgore-like character based on pre-death Spinal to fill up the roster feels derivative and feels like it’s taking a spot that a more unique or interesting character could take.

It’s the same with Cinder; Cinder’s entire “thing” is being a man on fire. A separate character who represents him a a simple merc isn’t really intriguing.

Now, creating a skin which makes the existing characters look like their “original state” would be fine by me, because skins don’t take up character space. There are already accessories for existing characters I may not like, but I don’t mind having them in the game.

KI’s human characters are unique and interesting, and fit particular tropes; but KI has a monster-mash sort of theme to it in my opinion, and creating a (full playable character) human version of a monstrous character just isn’t interesting.

TL:DR, “human” versions of monstrous characters should be skins and not “real boy” characters.

5 Likes

I actually want to ask something to the @developers.

I’m curious, why is Kilgore only available for the CPU right now and not in the player’s hands till January?

2 Likes

Hmm, nobody ever mentions if Pirate Spinal could be a thing, out of all the picks for pre-transformation characters, seeing him as a ruthless and sane-minded pirate would be the most interesting to me, since we have even less to go off on what he used to look like than Cinder.

Who is Spinal if he’s not a spooky skeleton anymore, but instead a badass pirate? What would his move set be like? Would he have a parrot named Polly?

These are the questions, people.

Now I want to see how ridiculous a regular pirate would look with Spinal’s move set.

Again, I would happily support this being a skin (because the visual itself would be interesting) but I just don’t believe that “not Spinal Spinal” is worth a roster slot by himself.

3 Likes

I really hope one of Kilgore’s accessories a gun head

i

2 Likes

what I find funny is people want Joanna Dark, a character who pracitcally uses guns.

1 Like

However, I can’t express my complete lack of interest in Shadow Orchid enough, I’d much rather an original evil female character or female monster, the “good-character-corrupted-by-evil” thing is very played out and often as dull as ditch water.

2 Likes

what’s funn is, if that’s true, Kilgore is all my mains in one? lol it may be an interesting challenge to play him.

1 Like

You have absolutely nothing to back that up with. A mercenary character is “boring?” Guys like Deathstroke are boring? Agree to disagree.

Yeah, as a costume, I think some of these could be cool. In fact, for many of them, that’s more or less what I wanted to see them as. Vizier Kan Ra would be a cool look.

I agree that we don’t need a ton of these characters. Kilgore certainly fills that role to an extent.

Again, I don’t get where this idea comes from that “a simple merc” is inherently boring. TJ’s a boxer, is that boring? Jago’s “a simple monk.” Why does he get a pass? Because he fills a specific trope? I don’t see a Deadpool / Deathstroke style mercenary on the roster, do you?

Fair enough. I should be clear. I don’t want to see a ton of these types of characters. I throw out human Spinal, human Sabrewulf, pretransformation Cinder etc because to me, they sound like intriguing ideas. What did Spinal look like as a person? Can’t we see Sabrewulf finally get that cure? What was mercenary Cinder like?

Sure, I’d like to see one of them become a reality, and I don’t think they have to be past / lore versions either. The story can be made to create these characters in the present. But I don’t want a roster full of these versions either. My apologies if I implied otherwise.

I think it’s both. There are plenty of human fighters and monster fighters. I think it’d be cool to have one character in the whole game that’s both. I think that can happen without clogging up the roster with clones and rehashes, etc.

I’ve brought that up before, and I agree whole-heartedly. I think it’d be cool to see what he’d look like, and how a sane version would act.

An alt version of Orchid that’s actually a different character could be very cool if done right. People brought up Kara from the comics. Having a blonde, Ultratech assassin that’s Orchid’s own Ken to her Ryu. Not with so much of the same stuff translated over, but either way, I’d be down with that.

I’ll wait to see if a corrupted Orchid is interesting though. At the very least, I think it has possibilities perhaps. I prefer it to sticking a shark’s head on TJ’s body, painting the whole thing silver renaming it. But that’s just me. :slight_smile:

@Iago407

curious question: how does a “human” Cinder intrigue you? I honestly just imaging a guy in simple military outfit like other soilders you see walking around in real life just with a jet pack and bombs. Basically average joe guy with bombs and jetpacks.

When I think most human fighters I think of 90% if not 100% of the street fighter cast and 85%->95% of the tekken cast.

If you could give us a visual on how you might imagine “human” Cinder maybe it’d be easier to see the potential.

Personally I know T.J is a boxer but he always has been I think he gets a free pass because of his legacy, Jago wears a mask and has a bad-■■■ sword so he’s not particularly dull. Human Cinder just doesn’t sound too promising on paper.
If you can give us some better visuals you can give us a reason to possibly look forward to them perhaps?

The best I can hope for human Cinder is that he has a helmet that opens and closes akin to Cinder’s own mask

1 Like

Now you reminded me that the game is lacking a military man. Cinder might not be the best representation of that though lol. I still have faith they could make him look cool.
Example:
Image result for army of 2 salem

If anything, I feel the game lacks an espionage character, but this arguable with Orchid. However, if I’m thinking correctly, with a new theme on the horizon, I think @CrazyLCD might be right with his predictions.
Image result for joanna dark
Lucky him, ha ha.

@BHswordsman09

Well if he’s gonna look anything like that (albeit make the suit a bit less bulky) I can get behind that.

If JD makes it into the game, she probably will be a zoner

“But I just wanted Orchid 2.0!”

Well, good luck with that!

The difference is that TJ and Jago were originally designed to fit their specific trope/stereotype. The monk/ninja warrior and the powerful boxer are human (and are interesting), but were always designed/intended to be that way.

Cinder, for example, was designed as the “man on fire” version; his backstory as a merc adds to it, certainly, but Cinder’s gameplay and concept are directly built from that fiery foundation. Seeing a normal human dressed in military gear flying around on fire (somehow) doesn’t really add to his character, particularly because the lore is pretty clear that all his current capabilities are due to the experiments he was subjected to.

Again, I wouldn’t mind seeing this as a skin, because while I don’t particularly feel a need to see “what they used to be,” having a skin would allow people to see the “human” version of these characters but would keep the roster free for more unique characters.

As another example, Kilgore is not our Fulgore from years ago - it is a completely different individual in the lore, looks different and has different gameplay mechanics and design. If we want to use “Pre Cinder” as a way to get a mercenary/military trope (which is sort of covered by Orchid) into the game, why make “Pre Cinder” and not a unique mercenary with their own unique gameplay? It could even be someone from the same company Cinder was from originally, to connect them in the lore.

4 Likes

#Thank you.

7 Likes

I’m out of likes for the day so double thank you

8 Likes

Now if only they had left Cinder’s backstory alone, then we could have had a little fun with the convict trope.

1 Like