3.8 Tier List by Infil

Yeah I’ve been messing with him since 3.8 dropped and decided to add him to the team

1 Like

As much as I love Omen, I don’t think he is S tier.

As crazy as his mix-ups can be, a lot of the cast has crazy good mix-ups. If he does beat them, he barely does.

Although he can technically zone, his random fire balls makes his zoning inconsistent and unreliable. I can’t run the clock out or somebody’s instinct meter out with this guy.

And his damage output depends so much on resets to be significant. He doesn’t even have a shadow ender.

I don’t understand how Gargos can be two tiers below Omen when he has better zoning, rush down, and IMO a better vortex.

Omen has great buttons yes. But I think great buttons without damage isn’t that great in this game because your opponent can break you at anytime. Getting counter hit by Jago’s DP or Hisako’s buttons hurt like hell compared to getting counter hit by Omen.

Demonic Despair is a thing, but nobody in thier right mind would use it now that it’s invulnerability got taken away.

2 Likes

Gargos does not have any of these over omen except zoning in some match ups. Gargos is also punishable on a lot more than omen. I could easily write why omen is top 5 as ive been playing him for a very long time as well. If you ask nate and most other top omen’s they’ll either agree or think hes close to it. Gargos is much weaker than people think he is. He’s just annoying.

Would you rather be up against Omen with full meter in the corner or Gargos in the corner with two minions?

I feel like this could be good discussion. Which is a worse situation?

Gargos free. Gargos isn’t going to lock out my meter. Gargos minions could ■■■■■ him over which has happened many times playing Dayton in the mu. Gargos isn’t + on almost everything. The minions no longer cause chip which means Gargos isn’t going to slowly sap your health like omen does. Then once I turn the tables on Gargos he’s screwed. The minions have also become easier to take out. I play omen. I did play gargos before i got bored with him. I’ll fight Gargos over omen any day.

Sad Sadira is still sad. :frowning:

Rash has to be my most hated MU. I have to admit that I utterly hate this character. :triumph:

1 Like

Just ignoring for now, heh. It’s bad enough that I kinda consider it a bug and I want to talk about the character’s potential not counting “bugs”.

I’d rather deal with a good Omen the corner than a good gargos.

If I get opened up by Omen, you know he’s going to go for some reset to get significant damage. I just gotta be prepared to hold up or DP and then it’ll be my turn to attack. If he doesn’t go for reset he’s not going to take a huge chunk of health away.

If get opened up by Gargos and his two minions in the corner, it can get very bad very quickly. Let’s say I make a good defensive read and avoid his reset, it still isn’t my turn to attack because his minions are poking me in the butt.

And IMO shadow countering Omen’s pressure is way easier than shadow countering Gargo’s pressure with two minions.

Either way I’ll go in depth on why omen is top 5.

He has one of the most dominating neutral games due to his mobility. His air mobility keeps many characters from being able to really anti air him on top of having a good walk speed in mus where he has to fight more grounded and having solid zoning. Omen can shine pretty much anywhere on the battle field

Good buttons for both pressure and footsies even though he doesn’t really have to play them often. His normals in top of all of his fireballs being +means most can’t deal with his pressure and the multi fireballs make him difficult to shadow counter. Then when omen is in the corner his pressure is amplified since he can combo off of his throw and has pressure strings that he can do alot off of with his meter.

One of the best mix up games if not the best. Omen’s air dash basically works as a triangle jump you see in marvel…and he has 3 air cross ups. If he lands a heavy or medium cross up then he gets to create a complete guess break situation since he can manual any strength of his lightning legs or his slide. It also adds to his high low game since his backdash takes him to the ground so fast most people won’t see a low coming. Throw in his fireballs or shadow rashakuken and good luck blocking.

He can zone very well. His fireballs are random yes. But this actually makes his zoning that much stronger in some mus. In the wulf mu for example wulf can’t even use his dive slash to get in since often times a spiral or tracking fireball will come out and take him out the air. The randomness of omen’s fireballs is more a strength than a weakness since outside the duds they all have a use and if you recognize which one hes getting it can open up more opportunities for him.

He locks out meter. This is Something I don’t think ppl realize how strong it is. More than half the cast doesn’t have a reversal without meter. So this means if omen locks out their meter then they’re stuck holding all of his pressure for 8 seconds. That’s pretty rough against a character who’s plus on most things he does.

Now omen may have low damage but that doesn’t really matter. The character can open you up so many times before you realize what’s happening that he doesn’t need high damage. Then when he’s in the corner he drains health very fast and shadow lightning legs is actually one of the games more damaging shadow linkers.

The character has good amount of winning fights, doesn’t really have any bad ones, and has an answer to pretty much any situation. Add in the fact that he almost always has resources due to gaining meter off of any ender and you have a character who’s easily among the best in the game.

Tl:Dr omen dominates neutral has very powerful tools and beats a large portion of the cast.

3 Likes

How I feel right now.

7 Likes

People won’t give me credit but I’ll say: I agree, even so I love to play with him. I think Omen needs boost in his damage. Ok, he can lock out shadow meter, has a lot of meter, but really lacks damage. You have to work much more than a Jago to beat him, the same to a lot of characters. Rash himself is a very bad MU to Omen too.

Don’t get it twisted. I think Omen is really strong. Just not as strong as everyone else thinks he is.

I still prefer Omen more than anyone in the cast. I just think Gargos is just as strong as Omen.

I don’t think he needs more damage output. I was just arguing my reasons that he isn’t S tier

1 Like

Why Wulf is so high in this TL?

1 Like

Thing about Gargos is there’s honestly alot people let him get away with that they shouldn’t. Things that got nerfed that people haven’t started exploiting yet. He also has quite a few easy hard counters to him which is why infil put him where he is. If Gargos runs into aganos Fulgore or rash for example he’s likely screwed as they don’t care about what he does whether he has minions or not.

When it comes to omen hes someone that any one will kinda have to worry about.

Where’d you get the gorgeous design? Mind if I swap it with my budget list?

Also it’s worth noting that the characters aren’t in order for the most part.

1 Like

Sure, use it as you please. I just did it when I saw the list.
I added some legends below,but you can cut it or use the previous one =)

2 Likes

Yay! Our characters are good! Woo! :heart:

5 Likes

I think he’s really good! lol

Best normal in the game (overpower) lets him control neutral. Much more slippery in neutral than he used to be because of faster run and dive kick with no whiff recovery, which means it’s harder to zone him than before. Just as good at converting lockouts as Glacius means he can kill you with one mistake. Maybe the best mid-combo reset character in the game (or among the best), including an extra layer to wall splat mixups. Maybe the best at hit confirming into unbreakable damage with long range target combo, which means his offense can be made safer than a lot of characters (even though his overhead/low is unsafe). Shadow ragged edge is exceptionally fast at 4 frames of startup, which means he can punish things other characters can’t (max range Tusk st.HP, for example), and it’s an excellent whiff punisher as well. With one meter (and the opponent at 0 meter) he can use shadow ragged edge or shadow leap slash (which is throw invincible) as a frame trap to punish people trying to punish overhead/low, and if he’s wrong he’s still plus on block.

7 Likes

Yeah, Wulf is a much stronger character than people give him credit for. His throw range is silly, overpower is literally a god normal, and with meter he gets very solid lockout damage. Leaping claw (or whatever it’s called) is also a fantastic mobility tool, one that’s usually even on block and virtually unpunishable on whiff.

As to Omen’s strength, I think Letalis covered most of it. If you gave the character additional damage, you would be creating a serious problem for much of the cast. Omen has absolutely ridiculous neutral control, and he’s not starved (like, at all) for ways to open you up once he gets in range. You should be working harder in terms of number of openings than Jago - Jago’s pressure up close isn’t anywhere near as suffocating as Omen’s. Even when he had safe wind kick he wasn’t as suffocating as Omen.

I do think Hisako beats him slightly (like 5.5), but that’s one of the few matches that I think is even slightly against him. And I’m pretty sure many (most?) Omen players would disagree that he’s at a disadvantage in it at all :joy:

3 Likes

I do think Sadira is in a better place than she was before 3.8. I do have to say that since the update, I’m having an easier time handling Gargos, but all in all, she still suffers from the same problems that she always has since S3. It seems that I have to work REALLY hard to get good damage, where as other characters can just use normal combos to do more.