Why is Xbox internet/NAT/ and download speed so messed up?

I don’t know what is going on with Xbox One but for a while it is giving me basically random NAT results. Sometimes it’s Strict, Sometimes it’s moderate. There’s no reason for it to fluctuate, I’m not changing any settings.

Another issue is random terrible download speeds. I can ask the Xbox for detailed network statistics and get as low as 8Mbps. If I use wifi from the same router in my phone I can get 130-180Mbps.

Any of you tech savvy guys know what the heck is going on?

Edit: tagging @FallofSeraphs76

Also, every test on all devices always registers my full 12Mbps upload. There’s no conceivable reason why I can get 180Mbps download (on wifi!) and have an Xbox wired to Ethernet giving me 20Mbs or less (on two different Xboxes).

For those of you possibly joining this conversation…I have had this issue since November 23rd. For 3 years I had steady 120-170 mps until I moved 1 house over in November 2016. Ever since then I get fluctuating speeds from 48-27- 0.8!! Yes less than 1!

I even had Comcast come out and put in a new X1 modem, they to were getting random speeds on there lap top plugged straight into the modem. He seemed baffled as well…but… his laptop was steady from 70-170. The xbox would drop to less than 1. HE said it was Xbox…I didnt believe him… I thought for sure its Comcast.

Im starting to think he is right. I can run a WiFI speed test on my chrome book and hit 120-170 every time. Go to the Xbox and It never goes over 60 now.

Xbox released a patch with an update to Download speeds at the end of November. It boosts download speeds for people with 100+mps and also a boost for ppl with 50+ mps. You are supposed to be able to down load faster in the back ground while still running a game/app. Apparently something isnt working right because SEVERAL ppl are complaining on the Xbox forums and other websites Ive researched.

@rukizzel @TotalJimkata Hey guys, have you heard of anything about this down load speed patch form November and if this is an actual issue around the MS water cooler?

This sucks

perhaps xbox has a throttling setting that you can probably turn it off. I dont have an xbox one but i do believe latest firmware is windows 10 core system. i am sure there is a way to find a setting to disable the speed limit.

I have set the NAT to Open, that’s a good as it getting in the Xbox one net work settings. There is no other throttle option. I also set my modem to Port forwarding and the highest priority for rmy Xbox .

There is nothing more I can do on my end from what I have researched. Thing is it doesn’t have to be this way…just 2 months ago I had the best connection you could possibly have. I was damn proud of my speed connection…now I feel cheated.

Its odd, I thought it was an issue with my ISP given its ■■■■■■ reputation, but the other day I lost connection to XBL on the console while the same connection was running just fine on my phone through WiFi. It only returned once I reset the modem. Not sure what the details of that situation are but the Xbox definitely seems to have some issues with connections.

I had the fluctuating issue with NAT. To fix it, you need to look up your network info, including IP, and set it up on your console manually. This turns it into a static IP, which stops the fluctuating NAT, that supposedly occurs whenever your IP changes (and since a static IP never changes…).

You also need to look up all the ports you need to open for Xbox One, Xbox 360 (for BC titles), Xbox Live, Microsoft, and Win10 and then open them on the network device(s) that your console runs through (whether it’s a router, modem, or gateway). There’s, sadly, a lot of ports to sort through - took me over 30 minutes to do it on my network.

I’ve worked for an ISP for a number of years and from what I’m reading in here, it sounds like there are potentially a couple of problems that you’re highlighting here but they aren’t apart of the problem you’re experiencing on your Xbox One so I’ll break down a few things here that are going to help you get the best results possible for your Xbox experience;

NAT issues
NAT issues can be quite common, especially if you’re using multiple Xbox One units in the same household. If you’re like most people and you just have the one Xbox One console, your best bet to ensure your NAT is always open is to set up a DMZ (Demilitarised Zone) on your router. I’ll spare you all of the details but this essentially tells your router “Hey I want THIS particular IP address on the network to have FULL access to the internet with no exceptions or blocked ports to the outside world” <-- because of this, you should NEVER DMZ a PC, tablet, etc on your network. You’re opening yourself up to a world of hurt but we can make the exception with an Xbox One console as it’s a pretty closed and secure environment.

So how do we get our Xbox One console ready to become associated with our routers DMZ? Well, as @GalacticGeek mentioned, we need to set a Static IP on our Xbox One console. We can do this via the Xbox One’s Settings > Network options.

Now it’s important to make sure the IP address you’re giving your console is an IP address that sits in your actual network. This is dictated by your router’s IP address and your Subnet Mask. Sound complicated? It’s not. Let’s use the example below;

Let’s say I have a Netgear router. To log into this router and play around with my routers settings, I can log in via it’s IP address which is traditionally going to look like 192.168.0.1. Other routers might have 192.168.1.1, 10.1.1.1, etc. Let’s stick with the Netgear’s IP address for this example though.

The details I’d then set up on my Xbox One (via Settings > Network > Set Manually) would appear as follows;

IP Address: 192.168.0.21 (read below)*
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (this is your gateway to the internet aka, your router)

* Now the IP Address I’ve given my Xbox One is 192.168.0.21. Why didn’t I write 192.168.0.2? Or 192.168.0.3, etc instead? Well I absolutely can do this if I really want to and it’s generally best practice to neatly order your network like this however I use the address ending in .21 as this sits out of a general routers DHCP Table and will ensure that if my router is being silly, I’m not going to be negatively impacted. This is a personal preference for me and I’ll spare you all of the details but I will always have my devices that I’m manually setting, sit outside of that default DHCP Table set in my router. (We don’t need to learn about DHCP tables this evening though).

Okay so once I’ve done this, I need to power down my Xbox One after it has saved these settings and I need to let my router know that it’s okay to set up a DMZ for my Xbox One’s IP Address now.

Most modem routers will let you DMZ an IP Address. Depending on the vendor, it may be tucked away on your modem routers interface but once you log into your modem router (http://192.168.0.1 for the Netgear example I have above), I’d find it on the index on the left.

Once I type in my 192.168.0.21 into the DMZ entry, I would save this change to my modem router and then power cycle it.

Once the modem router is turned back on and has reconnected to the internet, power up the Xbox One again and you should always have Open NAT now.

Fluctuating Speeds
Fluctuating speeds is a real pain but to get to the crux of the issue, we need to firstly acknowledge a few things that can be causing this fluctuating speed so to leave no stone unturned, lets list a few reasons we might be experiencing this (in no particular order);

• We’re using wireless! Wireless isn’t always a constant and can be prone to experiencing a lot of interference. Always use Ethernet while troubleshooting. If you find that Ethernet is working fine, we can conclude that the issue is a wireless problem (I’ll maybe write up how we can fix this another time if the feedback to this post is requesting it)

• We’re getting packetloss! This is something that you do need to be aware of. If your internet connection can experience this and this can be caused by your router (which will generally be the cause) or it’s an issue at the internet provider level. Don’t ever assume it’s not an issue with your home set up because 9 times out of 10 it always is (don’t be that guy/girl that arrogantly assumes your provider is at fault. Check everything!)

To determine if packetloss is a factor in your particular circumstances, you can test this on your computer however please make sure that you; Unplug every other device from your router first (including your Xbox One), make sure there are no downloads running in the background and make sure you’re testing over Ethernet, not over Wireless (refer to the above dot point).

If you’re using a Windows machine (most of you should be as you should be playing KI on your PC as well!) you want to open up Command Prompt and you want to type in the following command;
ping QQQ.QQQ.QQQ.QQQ -n 100

The QQQ.QQQ.QQQ.QQQ should be your internet providers DNS. You can usually get this from your internet providers website or by phoning them. Using your providers DNS ensures you’re getting an optimum network path from you to your internet provider and will help narrow down if packetloss is caused by your internet provider or by your router.

The command we’ve written above says “Hey, I’m going to send you (you’re ISP’s DNS) 100 messages and I want to you respond to those 100 messages and then tell me if any didn’t reach you”. When we hit enter after writing this command we’ll see each message getting sent out and once it has finished we’ll get something that looks like this;

Ping statistics for QQQ.QQQ.QQQ.QQQ:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

If we get more than 3% loss with the above, test an alternate router/contact your ISP. You have an issue.

The final two things that could be causing you grief with your service is Congestion (which is your connection being overloaded at a provider level, causing your speed to get artificially slowed down by your provider and is uncommon in Australia at least {again I’ll refrain from explaining this unless I get specific requests asking for more info and what you can and can’t do about it}) or an Xbox update has done something weird to your console (which is extremely unlikely, aside from that recent update to get better throughput when downloading games/updates on the Xbox One).

I think that covers everything (I’m writing this as I sit here working so apologies if there are typo’s or what not). If any of you want to learn more about networking or internet related ANYTHING for your Xbox needs, send me a private message and I will try to help out where I can.

5 Likes

I can confirm that everything Melthris is saying is true, and absolutely helpful. I’ve had IT guys from my ISP take me through the exact same steps in the past for the exact same problems. The difference, however, was that in my case it actually did end up being a problem on their end, and not mine, for which they profusely apologized for once discovered - and promptly fixed. :wink:

Thank you for this long, detailed and thoughtful response. Unfortunately, I have tried these things and they aren’t the problem.

Before I go into what will be a very long explanation about my home setup, I just want to reiterate that the speeds aren’t the result of my modem or home network because other devices will get high speeds on the same networks. So it’s not the network itself.

In regards to the DMZ and static IP address, I have two Xbox Ones. One of them is connected through Ethernet directly to my Comcast modem. I set it up as a DMZ a while ago and this did nothing. Xbox was actually telling me it was a strict NAT even after I set it as a DMZ. Meanwhile, my other Xbox, which is on a wired connection to a Netgear Router that is on a wired connection to the Comcast modem, experienced all kinds of problems as a result. So, I turned off the DMZ. Ironically, now the Xbox One wired directly to the Comcast Modem always registers as Open NAT. However, the speed issue is affecting them both.

So, in summary, the NAT issue is annoying but it doesn’t seem to be directly related to the speed issue (it does occasionally seem to cause trouble hooking up with people in Party chat and require a hard reset of the Xbox).

Just in case people are wondering, I don’t see any packet loss.

I’m happy to try port forwarding, but if I forward ports to one Xbox, will that block them on the other? And can anyone tell me how port forwarding from the Comcast router to the xbox wired to it will affect the xbox wired to the Netgear router that is wired to the Comcast router? Do I have to open the ports to the netgear router, then also port forward from the netgear router to the second Xbox?

Keeping in mind that I have had this same setup for over a year and have only begun to have these problems in the last couple of months, this seems like a lot of effort to address something that seems most likely to be a messed up Xbox OS…

As another issue, I’m starting to think the “detailed Network statistics” are garbage. I can run a Speedtest and get 20Mbps then immediately download a game at a fairly steady 40Mbps.

It’s so aggravating to be wasting time with this…

Once my download is complete I’m going to check Ookla through internet explorer to see if that will run on Xbox.

1 Like

To my knowledge, you have to port forward all of your devices leading up to, and including, your consoles - otherwise, you create sort of a roadblock at various chokepoints on your network.

I am not good with this sort of stuff, but I had issues like this recently enough where my network would only allow for Xbox downloads at like 1-2mbps but it turned out to be a router issue that I needed to fix.

Wish I could help more.

2 Likes

Well, at least you tried. Thanks.

That’s okay mate, that’s what I’m here for :wink:

Be careful with relying on Speedtest and other websites that are similar. They are generally giving you a rough guesstimation of what your speed actually is and should not be considered to be 100% valid.

You should be able to see what your downstream and upstream speeds are via your routers statistics page. You can then compare this against your true throughput by either downloading files from your ISP’s website (most ISP’s in Australia at least will have some sort of hosted content or test download files). Downloading one of these and writing down the transfer rate of that file being downloaded will give you an idea of what your throughput is.

Let’s say you have roughly a 10Mbit connection. You should be downloading these files at roughly 950 Kilobytes per second to 1 megabyte per second. If there is a significant discrepancy in your throughput compared with your actual connections downstream/upstream, refer to my above post (you might be getting congestion or have packetloss, OR your router is on the fritz).

Again, port forwarding won’t do anything for you if a DMZ doesn’t. As mentioned, setting a DMZ simply opens all ports for a particular IP address so port forwarding at this stage would be counter productive.

I’m heading into work but if you guys have any other questions about this, post in here or PM me and I’ll reply once I’m at my desk

Can you set more than one DMZ and open/forward the same ports to more than one device on your network?

Hi Melhris.
I have recently been having issues with my Xbox one’s (I have 2) download speeds. I live in Australia and recently changed from ADSL2 to our new nbn (National Broadband Network) which gives me speeds up to 100mb/s. For weeks I only managed a maximum of 1mb/s (that’s correct, not a typo) on the Xbox where on phone/laptop I average around 60mb/s. I contacted my isp and after multiple phone conversations of them telling me it was my Xbox that was faulty (I know it wasn’t as I could hotspot from my phone and get a quicker speed and also took my Xbox to my parent’s place and got a better speed), I have managed to get download speeds varying from 2mb/s to 55 mb/s (this fluctuates all within 10 seconds and then repeats the fluctuation cycle). After about 20 mins it stops the installation and I have to click try installing again for it to continue.
I know above you have information on if there is 1 Xbox one, but do you have any advice for 2 Xbox one consoles?
Thanks in advance, I hope I have given you enough information and not babbled on too much. My isp is crappy to deal with and do not want to help me get the most out of my service.
Cheers,
Mick

Hi there Mike,

It sounds as though you may have one of the following issues; you’re using wireless and this is the cause of the fluctuation in performance, the CVC backhaul you’re connected to at your exchange is congested (which is becoming more and more prevalent here in Australia as we all connect to the NBN) or there is another issue (we can address any/most/all of these).

Have you experienced this same issue when running over an Ethernet cable (if you’re using wireless normally)? If you haven’t, try this and give it a shot. I find this to usually be the most common issue.

If you’re still experiencing issues, we can look to see if your CVC is congested. If it is congested, you need to notify your ISP with some specific information (PM me if this is the case and I’ll help you out). What ISP are you with? What router are you using? Let me know and we can take this offline for the sake of preserving some anonymity and getting this fixed for you.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply,

I am running both consoles via ethernet cable. I tried to connect with wifi (to see if i had trouble with my cable/ethernet port), and it was pretty much the same speeds (I also plugged the same cable into my laptop to get speeds near 60mb/s). I contacted iiNet (my provider), and after multiple calls and hours my speeds seem to have improved a lot (coincidence?).

There is still sudden drop outs, but I would say I’m now sitting around an average of 30mb/s download speeds on my xbox one’s during work hours. When Im trying to download after work hours or the weekend the speeds drop a lot more (this is also the same with downloading on other devices e.g. laptop and mobile).

My modem is the basic one iiNet gave me when I had ADSL2+ with them (Technicolor TGiiNet-1). I have thought about upgrading this and maybe this will help me get constant speeds? I can’t justify spending a lot of money on something that may or may not improve speeds, but would it be worth getting something like the D-Link Taipan AC 3200 Modem Router, or will this not give me much improvement.

Thanks again for your reply and help.

Cheers,
Mike

1 Like

Those TG-1 router’s aren’t the best but it sounds like you’re getting congestion. I’d also avoid anything DLink branded like the plague. Those and Belkins are horrendous (much like Technicolor).

Now the issue with congestion is that you have to essentially provide proof that you’re being congested for a provider to lodge a case as most agents you speak with at a support level won’t actually know how to identify congestion.

Fortunately if you’re speaking with someone that knows what they’re talking about, they will be able to check your associated CVC to see if it’s hitting its maximum capacity at peak times/the times you are advising there is a discernible difference in performance . If it is, they need to order more backhaul and amend the situation. Unfortunately this is sometimes an arduous and slow process depending on the severity of the congestion.

If you call your provider and they’re “not able to confirm congestion” based on the info I’ve provided you above, escalate to a manager. All providers in the country have the ability to view network traffic on CVC’s to see if they’re being overloaded or not.

If you still have issues, send me a PM on here or on Xbox Live.

Funny story. I experienced a similar issue after moving and getting hooked up with Comcast. The connection speed would vary wildly. I was connected via wi-fi and had the same result using two different routers. I eventually was able to stabilize things by going with a wired connection.

It’s strange because it worked fine for a few months on wi-fi and it started going crazy out of the blue.