Why exactly do we have to pay for a gamertag change?

Now it will literally COST you money just to simply change your gamertag? A fee just to have your gamertag CHANGE? But why? It is only just that: A GAMERTAG. Right? :confused: :confused:

1 Like

That was always a thing though, wasn’t it? First change is free, any more will cost the equivalent of $4-$5.

1 Like

$8 now actually. The price increased since then :stuck_out_tongue:

They charge for Gamertag changes because of the change of records. They have FILES upon FILES with your name on it. Everytime you license transfer, buy anything, send a message, earn an achievment. That’s a lot of information to keep track of, and when you change your GT there is an age old issue of verification. When you sign onto your Xbox with your account, the Xbox knows it’s your account. Cause Well
 Idfk. It’s just there ig. And when you, for example, try to use a backwards compatible game, it wont verify properly. You might not have access to your files, xbox live gold memberships, etc., because of the GT change. It’s weird, but that’s just about all we know about GT changes.

Oh and money, they like money.

I think that makes sense. lol.

3 Likes

The fee has always been there, but people used to abuse it by asking others to report their gamertag, so they could change it for free. This particular loophole, however, was closed because now if you’re reported and forced into a gamertag change, it chooses 1 automatically for you, and you still have to pay to change it again. If your GT is reported multiple times, it can lead to more serious punishments (like being temporarily suspended or even permanently banned - this helps prevent people from continuing to do it until they get a gamertag change that they like).

I, for 1, am thankful for this as I was constantly spammed from friends asking me to report them, which was absolutely annoying.

My advice - it’s not cheap, so make sure your gamertag is 1 you actually want to use when you 1st create it (and MS is even kind enough to warn you about the fee as you do so - that alone should warrant the importance of it). I put a lot of thought into mine. If you don’t do that, then the fault is kind of on you - either you live with it and keep the old GT, or you give them the $ and change it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was going to change my GT , but when people used to call me Killer I thought it twice. There are more than one KillerQueen, but there are no Marus =P

I have some trouble with people form The Sates telling me if there was an easier way to call me, looks like Maru was difficult to pronounce :sob:

I would like an option for team/clan though before your GT.

1 Like

I always pronounced it as “Maa Ruu” - is that right, or no?

1 Like

The R pronunciation is similar to the japanese R. But I don’t feel most pronounce my name bad in English, it’s ok the way they do it. But I remember a party playing GoW 4 with some players I just met and they couldn’t say it XD
However, I feel it’s not easy for everybody, because they prefer to call me Queen for my profile in Twitch. I like it though =)

1 Like

delete your new account then make another.:wink:

2 Likes

If that is the case, then why do PC users get to change their Steam name whenever they want for free while leaving us console users to have the disadvantage. That is not fair whatsoever and I think it should be leveled and fair for everyone.