Why Are Ultimates So Important?

I think it can be for any number of reasons–because people thought that they looked cool, or were satisfying, or just because they like having more content–but the primary reason (and this plays into some of the ones I already mentioned) is the nostalgia factor. Me, I’m fine with or without them. It’s not a dealbreaker or a game changer.

Now, what I would like to see is the humiliations make a comeback. :stuck_out_tongue: But that’s just because I’m a giant goof who likes watching characters dance. I’m not honestly expecting it to happen, and I imagine that a lot of people would probably feel that it doesn’t fit the tone of the game. Though it would give IG/Keits more fodder for their stream Dance Breaks…

People just want more ways to humiliate others, never been my cup of tea. Why do you think 50% of the MKX players are jerks?

I disagree… I find it particularly satisfying when he uppercuts them at his full strength before meeting them in the air.

Yeah, no… not gonna happen.

They were in every other KI, so understandably people want them back. Not so hard to understand.

But what if they never comeback? I think that’s where the problem lies, is IG may never Implement them. Then that leaves the people that are hoping for Ultimates, still hoping. Hoping for a cause that will never become realized. Hoping for a miracle that will never see the light of day.

Because I wanted to point out that not all of us who want Ultimates are in it just for the sake of nostalgia, though I also had meant to quote the other folks above as well.

For me it’s not a simple recreation of the old KI. Infact I love the new game quite heavily, I just would like to a feature I did enjoy in the old games, to also be featured in the new one. Ya miht say I am a guy who actually wants to look forward to the victory, not just the fight itelf.

Its the fac tthat Shago did things only Shago could do for me. It’s the idea that not only do I get to have a unqie and stylish way of finishing off my opponent, I can also do something unqie to the action that only that character could do. Ultimates have potential to be so interesting in that we really get another feel to how the characters could truly finish of their foes.

In Ultras nah, everyone punches and kicks, everyone can do that,infact in ultras that’s is basically all you are doing, rapid punch and kicks, which honestly has just gotten stale. Stage Ultras are far and few between,

Pretty much one of my sentiments

@Rhscf Yeah but it isn’t like at some point down the road they could of improved on them. Plus it isn’t like YOU had to do any of the Ultimates if ya didn’t want to. Ultras aren’t even worth doing anymore anyway.

Personally I don’t mind the arm flailing, what do you think someone’s gonna do falling from the height, just cross their arms and accept their doom, hell no, they are panicking and there’s a reason for that.

Aganos and Kan-Ra’s finishers are my favorite personally. so is Hisakos, but aain because they only happen onthose specific stages you limit your stage choices.

I honestly have given up on the idea they would not come back. At the end that factor may be a blemish on KI2013 in my opinion. IG doesn’t seem to care enough about it to really try take what they had supposedly manage to get working.

I loved good old ultimates in original KI games, but look what IG dis with Shago’s : A swift blow, barely lethal, and very not impressive. If that’s the kind of ultimate we Will have, no thank you, i’ll Just keep my ultras.

Did they improve TJ’s and Maya’s animations?

But it looks stupid. Even arm flailing can be animated in such a way that it would look good.

At the end of the day you have an option, NOT to do them, and chances are you’re not gonna see it everywhere and all over the place.

I do not understand of pull of ultimates at all. Would rather IG focus on other things for sure.

Of course, but it just adds more and more jank to the game. And it adds up.

So you pretty much just don’t like the idea of something possibly being improved? if that was the case then folks should of given up graphical improvements, which of course DID happen. So if something as minute as lighting can be improved so can the animation.

While I have given up on the idea of Ultimates it’s not because I fear of them looking “silly” or “too crazy” or as you call it “janky”…I gave up on it because I think IG simply won’t want to even give the idea a try. They simply do not want to. But it doesn’t mean I encourae ppeople to keep trying, who knows, it may change their minds. but we’ll see how that goes.

People were able to get an optional thing going with the people getting all hurt about the lvl4 enders, seems like they are listening.

While a reasonable argument I have to admit that we’ve gotten pretty much most of the important stuff.

Season3 by the end of it, we’ll have 24+ characters, this includes any bonus characters IG and MS have decided to give us. 20+ stages, and we can also expect there to be some small balance changes on the way definitely. What we’re getting in season3 so far, it’s predictable, there isn’t too many big surprises you wouldn’t be expecting. I think most of the important stuff is already being covered. I say this simply out of faith.

But once some of that stuff has rounded out, why NOT do something with Ultimates? Why can’t other folks have a new an interesting way of defeating their opponents? What’s wrong with having unique options?

Why not let other folks have more ways to have fun with this game? You’ll already have what you wanted

1 Like

Well let’s be real here, a lot of requests were made and granted out of nostalgia. Stage finishers were requested out of nostalgia, but is that really such a bad reason all things considered? I’m apart of the “minority” that wants them. Add to the fact that IG proved that it’s possible to do so that drives me even more. Would I boycott the game if they don’t make them, hell no, I’m not that childish. I don’t want them to take priority over the important things but rather they implement them at their leisure. Ranting aside, let me respond to the op or anyone with a question of my own. Why do you hate Ultimates so, why are they such a sin? Besides the whole MK argument.

1 Like

Hopefully we can get to that point where everyone can get what they want.

That’s all I ask :blush: I don’t care for humiliations, but I certainly won’t go out of my way to hinder someone else desire or campaign for them.

1 Like

I can say the MK argument is null and void, because other fighting games that have finishers are not “MK Clones” Best examples are Blaze-Blue and Guilty Gear. Games where you can finish off your opponent " permanently " and yet they are not considered MK clones.

Even then KI had some similarities to MK and Street Fighter on the basic level, but it had other stuff that establushed it and not just the combo system either, that was just the meat of the sandwhich, the other stuff on it such as character roster, music, and other features are also what made it unique from those games. Ultimates didn’t even really harm it.

If having Ultimates some how makes KI a clone of MK then that means KI is already a clone of street fighter because DP and FB motions

This in turn made the game a full sandwich. Before season2 we mostly just had the meat and bread, now we’re slowly getting some other stuff to it. my apologies about the confusing metaphor but that’s the point I’m making.

1 Like

Very good point indeed. I only brought up MK because that’s the bnb argument of the opposition. What I think is that there’s nothing wrong with taking an idea from someone else putting a spin on it or tweaking it to suit your vision, thus making it your own. That’s what it means to be inspired.

Okay but I never said that people wanted them for nostalgia… Actually, I never even answered the OP and even hinted at a reason why people wanted Ultimates so why would you point that out to me for no reason?

I just have little faith in IG in the aspect of improvement something old. I think that they add overall visual improvements with every season, because every time they manage to make the game a bit more optimized (that is how console development works pretty much, devs figure out console hardware as they go, you can compare launch and end of life titles for the previous gen and see the obvious difference) which means they can tune up the visuals a bit with every season. It might be a trivial task, IG are pretty familiar with the engine at this point. But when it comes to improving animations, they just don’t bother.

3 Likes