What is the diference between videogaming and sports to you?

I just want to hear it from you opinions…

Define sports first. Video games can be or not be a sport depending on the definition you use. If the definition is a physical activity where you compete, video games is a bit different as it isn’t too physical. If it’s just an activity where you compete, video games can be a sport.

Video games are physical activity, just a bit more nuanced…smaller more specific smaller muscles and fine-tuned neural responses as opposed to larger muscle groups doing full-body motions. Just like with traditional athletes some people are just naturally better suited than others to advance in their field. Some people’s brains and nerves process information faster than others, so yeah, there is definitely a physical element to playing video games at a higher level.

1 Like

videogames for me are more mental based, its a different kind of tired after you grind a fighting game a few hours.

physical sports im not into other than driving. thats more physical, and combined with mental prowess. the car pulling g-forces wears your body out, the speed causes increased heart rate as adrenaline flows and the mind is your reflexes in cornering and changing gears while also braking (which is hardest imo)

2 Likes

I put videogames in the Chess section of sports, it being you having to mentally/tactically outperform your opponent instead of physically/tactically.

Some people call Chess sports, some dont, same with videogames, I dont really care, I just love playing them :sunglasses:

That said I do feel originally ‘sports’ where physical activities, but the definition changed over time to include most things competitive.

2 Likes

In my opinion, videogames are just meant to be have fun, not putting too much effort like it is a real sport but it isn’t as you think you make it like and honestly, many people who put too much effort on something smaller like “videogames”, it’s just a waste of time. Id rather put more efort in real sports. Common people, videogames are just a simple digital stuff. Just pixels. Why would waste your mental forces on giving efort on videogames? For me, I don’t know if someone looses always the matches just because they can stare videogames in the way I said but, I don’t see any reason on putting too much effort and mental energy on a simple pixel…Like, you are playing videogames 3-7 hours a day, right? Sitting there, not doing any sports or doing some exercises, and you are just getting fat of the cholesterol you get from eating the dinner or something… for me it’s what it is…

Well, in the end, your opinion doesn’t really matter.
Esports is a real thing and a lot of people are into it, even if you don’t want it to be.

I personally don’t know…

I don’t consider professional video gaming a 100% sport, but on the other hand I despise many “traditional” sports like soccer (which is national sport in Poland, but I just don’t see anything interesting or hype in it), and watching a fighting game tournament entertains me more. Especially when there are some disrespects, pop offs and salt :smiley:

I don’t like when video game tournaments get too “celebrity” atmosphere with top players worshipped to the heavens by crowd, scripted videos to make them look “badass”. This is especially corny to me and I cringe while watching it - folding arms, angry face, looking down to camera like fkin alpha male. Bruh, you are playing a damn video game, you don’t produce or invent, you are just a cell of entertainment industry, there is not anything to be bossy about.

But overall I don’t watch games much because I prefer to play them. I only watch professional matches when I learn a new character and hit a wall at my progress, but not much else besides that.

Well, the majority of the people, affirms that videogames aren’t 100% sport, because sitting there in front of a glowing screen and watching some pixels isnt a sport. Thats all.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. But stay ignorant, if you want. Live in your bubble and enjoy videogames as you want. However, you don’t get to dictate what is and what isn’t. You don’t get to decide how other people are going to play videogames. And you have absolutely no power over what is a sport and what isn’t. You don’t get to decide that.

Esports are real. And there’s nothing you can do about it.

An excerpt of “sports” from Wikipedia:

Sport is generally recognised as system of activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition, and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports. However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports: bridge, chess, draughts (checkers), Go and xiangqi, and limits the number of mind games which can be admitted as sports.

Two of the key distinctions I would like to focus on would be the criteria of physical dexterity and mind games. Most video games fall under these criteria.

And as I said before, there is a physical element to video games as well. Right now in fact I’ve been taking a bit of a break from KI because I spent the better part of the past month bringing several characters up to L50 and my hands were starting to become sore. You can cause damage to your body playing video games, just like a “real” sport. You can wear your hands out, develop crippling injuries such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (more common for keyboard/mouse players). Getting an injury like this can side-line you just like in basketball, soccer, football, etc.

2 Likes

I mean, ESPN has an entire section of their website dedicated to esports, and have aired multiple competitive gaming events on live television including EVO and multiple DOTA and CSGO tournaments

If the biggest sports entertainment broadcasting company on Earth considers esports to be sports, I think it means the world is ready to accept competitive video games as a sport.

Hell, there’s even a good chance esports will be in the 2024 Olympics in Paris, so…

3 Likes

I think anything that can be competitive could be considered a sport. For some people a physical aspect needs to be present though for it tonfeel like a sport to them. I simply think the definition of sport is fluid and changing, especially the last 10 to 20 years.

3 Likes

I am sure video games are more sporty that ■■■■ like curling tho.