What is Shadow Jago's weakness?

I find that RAAM could very well be a hard counter to Shadow Jago.

RAAM can punish Shadow Jago’s surged moves with very relative ease. Surge slide is able to get punished, as well as the other surged moves (outside of a surge fireball).

All he has to do is walk Shadow Jago to the corner, and keep him there. Establish a good life lead.

1 Like

People just spam fireball though, they will sit there and spam until enough meter is built to use Shadow/Surged Dive Kick on any jump or Shadow Slide on any RAAMs running command grab.

I don’t know about competitive matchups using Shago and RAAM but, around my level I see that a lot.

Cinder main here and I have body bags full of shagos. All I have to do is figure out what kind of shago I’m playing against, there are three in my eyes. If all he wants to do is zone you until you get in range for a dash DP burn his arms, block, punish cash out. If he wants to just teleport dive kick, burn his legs, block, punish, cash out. If he actually has a brain and plays normally. Block, punish burnout, block, punish and what? Cash out. Shago is so easy I’ve had so much experience because people think he is a free win. I hear this often after a match. Damn I should have went shago.

That’s why you don’t jump or do the running grab, you just walk and block until Shago is in the corner. Then once he’s in the corner his only option to escape is to rely on something unsafe, and since you know exactly when it’s coming it’s much easier to block it on reaction. Even if he does something surged Raam’s 1 frame grab will punish everything.

1 Like

My main problem with Shadow Jagos is the teleport grab mix up. He can either teleport in front of you or behind you and grab you. I can’t rely on mashing jabs, sometimes they won’t confirm depending on the timing (more difficult online). Then they’ll play with teleport uppercut and teleport divekick to have you guessing. But when they abuse the grab it gets me, since I can’t find a way to stop it. Tech grabbing while guessing all the time is not easy.

Yeah that makes sense. Cinder seems like he’d be incredible at punishing Shago. Shago’s divekick usually bounces him into sweep range when it’s blocked. That really pisses me off when I’m playing slow or close-range characters. However, Cinder’s b,f,kick move probably makes him pay for blocked divekicks hard.

I agree and disagree with you, OP.

I hate fighting Shagos. He’s not OP… just… cheap, and zero fun to play against. Yes, once you block one of his unsafe specials he’s subject to punish. However, said specials can literally come from any angle on screen, making blocking easier said than done.

Don’t even get me started on his dash.

3 Likes

I feel the same.

I just won a Shadow Jago color 11 from
GutterMagic stream…so I am now officially part of the Shago Army.

My main is still Glacius tho :smile:

1 Like

I’ve been working at my Shago matchups hard, lately. Spending much of the fight in crouch block really puts a damper on his game (especially if you’re a close range character with at least one anti-air option). Crouch blocking straight takes his rollerskates out of his moveset. So, to get in, he’ll need divekick or pizza cutter. That’s where the anti-air comes in. Also, both moves are really unsafe, so just standing up when you see him approach will put him in some serious recovery frames.

My win rate against Shago has gone from something like 5% to something like 70% over the past month, since I figured this out. He really wants you to play aggressively, so he can make you whiff and then punish you. If you make him come to you, he’ll get frustrated really quickly. He can’t zone forever with his pea-shooter fireball move.

2 Likes

These constant teleports and surge slides are a pain to counter. If you miss the punishment you will get a dive kick in your back (or something else) and get screwed. Maybe for someone with high lvl reflex shago is not that hard to counter, but for me, it’s a torture.

Yeah it’s all reflex. Once you get his frames down he’s done. A lot of shagos don’t have much after you learn to block / punish their simple game plan.

oh man that ■■■■ was funny.

I generally don’t have issues with Shadow Jago and I main Sadira. :smile:

1 Like

I started rhis game with shago and i am exhausted. How do you have fun with this character? Everything is work. Hes the dan of the game i friggin swear.

Tell that to Kim wu players lol. If you’re in a character rut just switch to another character for a while and have fun with them until you feel like playing him again. What I love to do as shago whenever I play him is counter breakers since for some reason everyone knows what strength each of his attacks are at any given moment.

Well his animations for the most part are basically jago’s so…not alot of remembering to do since he’s got the same stuff as jago.

1 Like

Still it gets annoying but that’s what well placed counter breakers are for except when they miss in which case enjoy that combo.

You should post a match.

I had a few epic Shago battles recently. I’ll have to dig them out. :slight_smile:

1 Like