What is "good defense?"

:unamused: Whatever dude.

1 Like

So I looked into it. Shadow ruin is fully invincible till after the freeze then right after that it’s throw vulnerable. It’s actually not a bad move to use I feel. I mean can’t stuff it with strikes and throws only work from close range so it’s got that running for it at least.

1 Like

Good defense is more important in other fighting games.

I don’t know if someone said it, but in this game, as players, I would consider good breaking skills as good “defense”

2 Likes

[quote=“Dayv0, post:44, topic:14395”]
in this game, as players, I would consider good breaking skills as good “defense”
[/quote]Of course it is, since it stops your opponent’s attack in its tracks; use it wisely though - it can be used against you, if you’re not careful.

I believe this to be true also, even though we tend to segregate it out as a discrete mechanic when these conversations arise. More to the point, the whole “defense doesn’t matter/is less important in KI” argument is largely a canard in my opinion.

Defense is hard in KI due to the strength of specials and oki, but in my experience that makes it all the more worthwhile when a player has it. I find it pretty rare that a player with bad defense survives very long in this game at high level - it’s possible to rely on overwhelming offense to a certain extent, but to really excel you also have to be able to avoid or get out of crazy pressure situations. Combo breaking can be a part of that, but combo breaking is basically a wash between two players of equal skill, and so the ability to not get opened up in the first place by crazy offense is often the crucial difference maker I find.

1 Like