What is going on? (the current state of ki community)

I think all that matters is that Bass is currently having fun playing SFV (given the state of that game in the general FGC right now, I think anybody who has fun with SFV should keep playing it and try to bring some positivity to that scene). I don’t think he needs to be “convinced” SFV or KI is better or worse; as a person who has been in the genre for a long time and seen dozens of games come and go, this is what leads to in-fighting.

I think Bass’s heavy investment in KI for 3 years has caused small irritations to bubble up over time, but I think what he will eventually realize as he spends more time with the genre is that this will be true of every game. Perhaps it will even be true of SFV for him (or maybe not, and he will always love that game, which would be great). And make no mistake, it would have been true of even KI S1 and S2, had they been played for this whole time as well (games that I imagine Bass holds in higher esteem than KI S3). The evidence is there if you just look at all the forum posts over those years, and all the other people who quit over KI becoming “something it wasn’t” midway through S2.

I’m sad that Bass has lost the “love in his heart” and it actually makes me more sad in some ways that he might force himself to play something he has come to dislike. I think the best case scenario for people in Bass’s position (and there are many, so I don’t want to single Bass out here) is for those people to explore the genre more. Play other games that feel super new and fresh and that you love playing. Eventually you will see the genre more as a whole… you will see that some things you used to be super annoyed with in other games are actually just how the genre works, and are present in every game. And you will begin to remember why you liked a game like KI in the first place, with its annoyances and frustrations understood in context a bit more, and the things you really liked about it will stand out extra strongly when compared to the other games you’ve been playing that don’t do those things as well.

7 Likes

Long answer

I am playing Binding of Isaac, Zelda and Shovel Knight.

Nintendo Switch user.

Please keep playing when I jump back

4 Likes

Kiwc was the hypest tournament yet, and for any bs “pro” players we lost, we got a couple super hungry players to take their place. We lost Paul b? Wassup xadiran, enjoy his matches Way more. No more cdjr? Wassup storm. Way more hype about hisako than broken season 2 Maya. The story goes on and on.

It has been said that ki is not a “side” game. It takes a ton of mental acuity and match knowledge. Most diverse top anything game. Aganos and raam in top 16 at ki world cup (i <3 letalis).

Honestly, kevbones, letalis, xadiran, waterhorses, le chat noir, illusion, domi and another cinder guy… Vangaurd apex? Or… Something… SUPER hype and are becoming the names to watch at tourneys. With season 3 having over a year Under our belts, the tourney scene is barely in it’s nascensy. The real names, the guys who make ki their MAIN game, are just now starting to sprout, and we have nowhere to go but up.

No more seasonal base game change ups, and this game is going to rival street fighter in a few years time, the elements are certainly there.

1 Like

Bass bashed me with his group of fanboys for complaining about Kilgore price (which I bought), accusing people like me for lack of dedication and being reason KI is niche, then he dropped the game month later lmao.

@Infilament is “fun” an euphemism for bigger prize pots?

2 Likes

I really hope to see a lively KI crowd at Combo Breaker in May. I didn’t really get that at EVO, partly cause I was new, partly cause I couldn’t stay up for the saucy suite.

Also @Dayv0 does someone need a reminder of who I am Kappa

1 Like

KIWC 2017 was a showcasing of the future of the game IMO. Sure we don’t have the old kings of the game, some taking a step down, taking a break, or just getting flat out beat. But PLENTY of new upcoming talent. Thompson, Nicky made a helluva showing this year. Raven (should he decide to stick with the game) is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Waterhorses, Charbok, Storm, Dayton etc.there is PLENTY of new blood in the scene that is gaining importance ate each event they head to. While old GREAT talent is leaving, there is plenty of NEW talent coming through. We’re looking at a rebirth of KI as we know it and I can’t wait for this tournament season to unfold.

4 Likes

Bass complaining about the balance of KI on his latest stream. Then goes to SFV to play Vega who sits in a bottom tier which KI doesn’t go low enough to have. LUL

3 Likes

I basically said that on his FB post announcing he would leave 3 weeks before KIWC. He didnt respond but all his lil buddies, some semi known names from the UA crew, went absolutely ape shittt and tried to basically lynch me. But the funniest part is they all thought I was a girl because of the way my name is spelled. It was hilarious watching them brown nose.
BUt the point was… if a unknown name mad the same statement as BASS… they would have went ape shitt as well. Very hypocritical.
I cant stand ppl that argue one issue but then if their friend has the exact opposite opinion, they argue that point as well just to brown nose.
Sheep

2 Likes

4 Likes

To be fair, SFV is completely down because of server “maintenance” so it doesn’t mean much.

How often do you lose SFV playing time because of it, though?

I don’t lose anytime because I don’t play SFV lul. I don’t even find it fun imo. Let’s get back to KI though.

I don’t think SFV is a bad game. If/When I get a PS4 I will most likely get SFV (along with GG). It’s just a tad boring to watch personally. It doesn’t garner the sheer excitement that KI generates in each of its matches.

SFV is just good for a change of pace. But I’ll always come back to KI.

One of the reasons I haven’t been playing all too much is because I’ve been working on a project for my youtube channel.

And my book.

And school.

2 Likes

What does state of the community even mean? Everyone who playes KI, or the little clicks? I bought my X1 for K. For me to play it, not to be part of some “community” I don’t worry about most of community people “98% of them I will never meet or speak to”.

There will be plenty of people to play online for several years to come. The truth is that the game will outlast this fourm.

SFV is a alright game (i am a Huge SF Fan btw) i just think it was a step down from Ultra street fighter 4 which to me is one of the best fighters to date. I also agree that the ‘watching’ side of street fighter 5 is a tad boring compared to other fighters, KI is a fighter which I play more casually and follow less but have tonnes of fun with anyway

didn’t expect this thread to blow up, but aside from people leaving and twitch viewers. as much as the next guy here on the forums, I would really love it if more people got into this game within the fgc , as I said before we are a pretty small community and the fgc is fairly niche as well. (and sorry for confusing some of you guys)

I mean people who play KI regularly ( or used to ), and people here on the forums. one can say " don’t worry about the community people" but remember we help fund for KI , and with people leaving, complaining about character prices and character clones, I feel people don’t care as much like back in s1 or s2. its how I feel

The reason people don’t care now like they did for S1 and S2 is because the full KI cast is here now. During S1 is was considered brand new game. During S2 people were wondering and excited about what Orginal KI characters would make S2. Also people were excited about the new cast members that were being brought into KI. Now we have one character left, and have been told they have out grown the seasonal model. I think IG stretching out 3 characters over 6 months is a little much. Some players are just getting ready to jump ship when the new Injustice 2 game drops, or the new Marvel game. Other people might just be burned out on the game.

Looks like LCD announced last night he has quit…finally.

Its on his Twitter… not a big speech, just a quick post.

2 Likes