What a surprise (Combo Breaker)

are you kidding me?

Stop withdrawning answers! I want to read them! :joy:

However I don’t know how to withdrawn an answer myself :cry:

Yesterday I’ve read some nice discussion in a twitch channel. I think CEO is going to be pretty interesting too. Would be loverly to see this guys again since I enjoyed the whole thing. There are also other people I would have loved to see (there’s a Riptor around who @ZTRAINOVER9000 fought yesterday with his solid Maya. That Riptor has really crazy stuff! would be great to see him). Also I would have liked to watch any Rico’s fight and also Sonic vs Sleep match.
Thompxson was neat too!.

1 Like

My Maya is not solid, my Maya is quote " really gay":joy:The stuff that I really love to hear.

3 Likes

1 Like

Lol. 9 out of 10 posts on the season 2 message board were about how the game was too YOLO. On a forum that is constantly filled with inaccurate statements and revisionist history, this statement is still noteworthy for being completely out of touch with reality…

As far as who “deserved” to win - the winner always deserves it. Unless all the other players were DQ’ed for violating the dress code, the guy earned it. If you don’t like the way he win, blame the other players for not being better or the developers for allowing those strategies into their game.

As far as Valoraxe, I’m not thrilled that he won. I’ve played him online and found him to be unpleasant. I couldn’t care less that he’s European. Generallly I think it’s silly to inject nationalism into individual competition.

6 Likes

Great tournament. I was hoping Dayton would take it. It was cool to see a Cinder win.

I agree at one point in S2 Maya was yolo, TJ was Yolo, Orchid was Yolo, Kan Ra was Uber YOLO… so S2 was plagued by broken tech that had to get fixed or characters that needed to be nerfed. Near the end of S2, even Sadira had to get nerfed again because of a glitch that allowed her to cash out copious amounts of damage.

There will always be that proverbial “Yolo” character.

I found Val to be unpleasant as well in the few matches that I’ve had to deal with him. It’s sad, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

Ahh, the power of selective memory.

It takes about a year (in my experience) for people to stop remembering what something used to be like, until they develop an inexplicable fondness for that which they used to dislike. Happens with tons of games (SFxT, SF4, both KI S1 and S2). After that year passes, all bets are off.

3 Likes

Did the forum format change for mobile? I don’t like it - drab gray background makes me sad :slight_frown:

Val’s a pretty cool guy in my experience. We run sets quite a bit, and at least with me he’s always been perfectly nice. We have a friendly “I hate your character” discussion whenever we play :smile: He’s also been grinding the game like crazy and getting better every time we play, so he’s definitely put in the time and effort for his win.

4 Likes

As a comment made by Justin Wong during a match in MKX using Jax to shoot his missile launcher to zone:

‘YOU GON’ LEARN!"

Learn how to get around zoning with your character and maximize it. Despite what you may think, it’s a legitimate strategy that will never go away. Just because Valoraxe utilized a method that requires keeping the player out, does not delegitimize his victory as much as you may want it too.

If the shoe was on the other foot, there indefinitely would be people commenting on how the lame strategy and minions is too OP despite the fact now, Gargos has just 3 hard knockdowns, does significantly little damage from long distance, requires a lot of resets, etc.

There’s always a way to get around it all. Watch film and pick up on tendencies to get good.

2 Likes

It’s a legitimate strategy. To say it will never go away is your opinion there are already plenty of fighters that have no zoning in them.

I think the issue with zoning is most spectators find it boring. Injustice 2 is getting absolutely crapped on because of the strong zoning in the game. From a new players perspective it looks like “spamming” which is why they whine and complain about it in such a way. Having watched and played fighters for a while I have a more mature perspective on it and understand that at a high level it actually requires a lot of skill. Still I also find it boring, see the issue is in situations where a games zoning lacks consequence for a zoner, if they ■■■■■ up miss an input or what not their opponent is full screen so it’s often the case they can easily resume zoning without getting punished. Contrast that to screwing up when you’re up close and you’re likely to get punished. It’s a risk versus reward thing, risks make things entertaining. When someone goes for a counter breaker it’s hype as hell because they’re going for a risky hard read.

Anyways strong zoners are usually handcuffed up close so there is a reward for players getting in. Gargos is a prime example, you knock him down and he’s in hell. I don’t know enough about cinder to speculate on how good or bad he is when you get in, I do know his fired up DP is better than any wakeup tool Gargos has.

My main point is I think it’s fair to say that if you think zoning is boring to watch you’re in the majority (just look at twitch chat when sonicfox is using deadshot or blackadam in tournament). That said, it’s typically ignorance when it comes to people claiming it doesn’t take skill to perform effectively. As I said earlier Valor earned his win, was the way he played fun to watch? For me not really. I also didn’t enjoy watching sleeps kan-ra or pre-nerf gargos.

I don’t know man. I totally get the idea that managing the fans enjoyment is important if we are really going to grow the scene. But I look at the CB crowd shots and they seem pretty hype about it. This is the kind of “good drama” that I think helps the game. This fight was huge, and it’s being talked about more than anything I’ve seen in KI except maybe @STORM179’s big splash at KIWC. Valoraxe is the villain of the piece (unfairly, but hey). Someone needs to make sure these guys are at the next event and start billing it as Valoraxe v. DaytonJ 2. Explosions, interviews. “Can anyone get through this guy’s zoning?” Yadda yadda. You get the idea. Instead, true to form, the FGC is agonizing over zoning and asking for the game to be changed (“bad drama,” imo).

All sports are boring if you don’t understand them or care about the outcome. But if you stand in the stadium for the World Series, game 7, 9th inning, everyone is losing their ■■■■■■■ mind. None of them are worried about the people who say baseball is boring.

Don’t get me wrong. I think developers need to be conscious of this kind of thing, but Valoraxe is not an invincible unstoppable machine who has dominated KI this year. I think it’s too early to start hitting the panic button.

1 Like

I’m not advocating that things change. I’m just trying to explain viewer perspective on zoning and why I think it as such. I don’t think valoraxe is invincible or unstoppable either. Tournaments can be circumstantial daytons kit is Tusk, Orchid, Saberwulf and Gargos, I think that’s pretty fortunate for the guy playing cinder and that’s simply how tournaments go sometimes. You can get knocked out early because you have to play nonstop bad matchups or you can win the whole thing never having run into your kryptonite. And this is taking nothing away from Valors play, it was great.

I do think the crowd hype can really be attributed to a few things, the biggest being Daytons amazing comeback. It was hard not to get hype over that. But second to that is the crowd played up the US vs UK rivalry. And I believe there were various other factors that had little relation to the gameplay that helped contribute to the hype.

As a random side note I had a group of friends unfamiliar with fighting games watching Combo Breaker. Their first impressions of Gargos was interesting, they loved him. They thought his portal punches and his minions were some of the coolest concepts they’ve seen. Also props to KI they seemed to enjoy the KI top 8 more than Smash, Tekken, KOF and GG.

1 Like

Valoraxe’s weakness is Glacius.

Now you know :slight_smile:

2 Likes