Ultimates or SF style ultras?

But there’s nothing fake about them. Just because they don’t meet your standard of awesomeness or violence doesn’t make them any less ultimate - they are pretty final; they end the match.

Basically they are KI’s equivalent of street fighter 4’s ultra finishers. They don’t count as ultimates and overall this KI no longer counts as a KI game.

Okay, now you’re just talking nonsense.

1 Like

Ok what??!! So you disregard all the other things that make KI what it is simply because it doesn’t have your preferred finishers?!

1 Like

lol

6 Likes

I know, right!?

1 Like

What the hell have I been playing these past three years then… everything I know is a lie.

1 Like

What makes them not ultimates though? Because you don’t like them? The developers call them ultimates. A random online guy says that it isn’t…even the game says ultimate. The name of the game is KI but it isn’t? What are you even on about?

4 Likes

Seriously, you think these Ultimates are inferior to the old ones?
I don’t know about you, but I find these Ultimates having more impact than the old ones because they really have (for now) Jago, TJ, Maya, Thunder, and Tusk actually beating the living ■■■■ out of their opponents instead of performing some spell that look like anyone else can do with little difference.

1 Like

True. These Ultimates fit the character. They take a part of the character’s identity and multiply it which I really like.

2 Likes

Different games, different developers.

You do know that KI is a budget title right? You’re just gonna have to curb your expectations and deal with the fact that Ultimates aren’t how they used to be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

I never saw any big shine in old Ultimates. Ooooh look I stabbed someone, that’s soooooo gory. Or for that matter, half of them were just goofy and humorous. Nostalgia really blinds people nowadays.

4 Likes

Opinion is an opinion.

Shocking news.

12 Likes

They don’t count so therefore, this isn’t KI anymore and you don’t like them?

Every once in a while we get one of these “keeper of the flame” type threads where somebody comes down from the mountains with a stone tablet to declare themselves the true arbiter of all things KI. This was super common in S1 and S2 but it seems to have petered out in s3.

Anyway, it’s good to know who defines what is “truly” an Ultimate and what is a phony KI versus a real KI. All hail @VladKravich, this week’s keeper of the flame. If you want to know if something is “really KI” we now know where to go.

Just as an aside, the SFIV Ultras are not finishing moves. Also, go take a look at Jago’s Ultimate from
KI1 and then come back to talk to me about recycled animations. That thing is just sad.

7 Likes

lol. pun intended or not

1 Like

Arbiter’s ultimate confirmed?

3 Likes

The reason the modern game is rated T and the most older versions of the classic games were rated T wasn’t because the ratings system was looser back then (although it has seen its share of updates to standards) but how the older games presented the brutality on screen.

Because there wasn’t really any kind of gibbing like what you see all over the place with Mortal Kombat, with going to bits and pieces and internals being splattered everywhere, and a number of the combatants of old KI weren’t considered “human” in some standards, a lot of what the older Ultimates accomplished were done within a T-rating, which helped allow exposure to a wider audience. Almost all of these see none of the combatants going to pieces, but more or less just either falling to the ground defeated, or in some fashion caused them to simply vanish off screen because of some circumstance.

It’s all about how it’s presented, and those guidelines still exist today, though they have evolved. Now in one cutscene, I do believe Riptor is chewing some meat off of a bony human skeleton, which is if I’ve heard right the only reason the old Arcade version got a rating of M, and with that cutscene’s removal, it is back down in a T rating. So thinking about it now, in her victory pose, you see her leap at her prey and chew at it off screen, but nothing is actually depicted, only inferred.

Now if you want Jago to squish someone with a car instead of using the Spirit Bomb on them, then that’s your choice, but personally I believe the new Ultimate is an improvement over both of his old KI 1 Ultimates.

3 Likes

They are called Ultimates as a call back to the original games Ultimate combo that was a mid combo finisher done in similar fashion and function as an Ultra Combo rather than the No Mercy moves. Generally the Ultimates where shorter and sometimes tamer than the No Mercy finishers (which were already more humorous and tame due to Teen rating than similar M rated fighters of the period). Too many people keep getting confused between No Mercy and Ultimate moves! The exception being of one of the No Mercy moves was reused as an Ultimate as well which I believe happened more in KI1 as opposed to KI2 that had separate moves but all of the finishers in KI2 were even more toned down.
In this regard the current Ultimates both meet the definition of the originals and in alot of cases so far, they surpass the ones from KI2 if not most of the ones from KI1. Are they obviously violent killing blows? Arguable. I don’t see anyone walking away but if you aren’t down with killing you can still pretend because death isn’t rubbed in your face as that ambiguity is the intent as the Devs stated multiple times. Still they are Ultimates by definition and function and this KI is still true to the spirit of the classics as many of those were more ridiculous than lethal (Orchid flashed them and they keeled over for f*ks sakes people).

EDIT: P.S. Bring back Orchid’s flash as a joke. J/K, :laughing:.

Man, if you don’t know what you’re talking about, you shouldn’t talk like you do.

4 Likes