True Official 3.6 PD / Breaker Change Discussion Thread

For me i see it as ultimately a boon for my rash.

People yend to break me one of two ways. One is to either mash mediums on opener or look for recapture. Shadow boot is a god awful ender and only available with meter leaving me with recapture or flipout both very easy to recognize and break.

With the change my combo game is much better as an opponent has to deal with my whole juggle not merely guess right once. Flipouts suddenly become more desirable as a reset since cashing out asap is not as high a priority.

Ultimately i feel this will allow certain styles to flourish. However i do feel that some defensively weak characters could use some adjustment as getting opened up or even pressured is now much more dangerous.

This is the first time Iā€™ve played KI in 2 months, and Iā€™ve just been playing characters that Iā€™m not good at in Exhibition.

At least at this level of play, the standard autodouble/linker combo game feels more viable and combos feel more rewarding. Before 3.6, it would at times feel frustrating outclassing a good combo breaker/nutty guesser in neutral several times over and not getting much for it. I would sometimes ask ā€œdo I need to know manual timings for every character in the game?ā€ Now it feels a little bit more inevitable that my knowledge of the characterā€™s neutral will win out in the long term.

As far as characters go: RAAMā€™s Instinct feels buffed. Tuskā€™s Up+HP OTG is buffed and gives more upside for backstab mixups. Doing something like throw, OTG, meaty backstab, OTG puts the opponent in a world of hurt. For Kan-Ra, it goes both ways. Adding that much PD after Sacrifice feels pretty harsh now. But it also makes his throw a lot stronger, as now it further helps him get big cashouts, which is where all of his damage is.

1 Like

Kan-Raā€™s self inflicted PD on Sacrifice will be halved in 3.7. We agree internally that after the PD/Breaker change, it is too much.

10 Likes

I like the pd changes overall, although it does make matches go a lot faster imo. Maybe a across the board damage reduction by 5%-10% or something may make the matches last around the same time as before the changes.

1 Like

Overall, I feel like the PD change promotes resets and offense overall and strengthens characters with good and reliable tools to open up their opponents.

I love it. Awesome change for the type of game I play with both wulf and Mira.

But. I also feel that characters who want to keep away or play a more defensive game are coming out as the losers in this exchange, maybe more than they should.

Kan ra, I feel, is the obvious example here. He stood to lose more than most of the cast with the breaker change in S3, IMO, as it Hurt his game plan directly by giving a lot more advantage to the players that made it past his traps and managed to land a hit and got broken. It made it that much harder for him to get away once the opp made it on top of him, while only making it so if he gets broken he wonā€™t have his opponent on top of him, and this I feel will happen much less than the other scenario as Kan doesnā€™t want to play the combo game as much as most of the cast.

And now, with the PD changes it feels as if heā€™s once more the character getting the short end of the stick (not only him, but especially him).

I donā€™t think this means the change isnā€™t positive or beneficial to KI, at all. I just feel some chars probably need some adjustments to work properly in the new engine, and kan ra is probably the one I feel most needs it. Not only his sandsplosion, btw. Maybe make his traps and command grabs generate more PD, to make it an actual threat for the opponent once he does get near? Although this only seems like a direct buff, while at the same time it doesnā€™t solve his issue with playing keep away. Maybe give him his old shadow sand spike back, as a separate shadow move, to give him a tool to push his opp away on block, and give him a bit more meter gain to work with, like a New battery ender? Not sure =P

Just some food for thought, but I love the direction weā€™re headed with this change.

Overall I do agree w this change, I get habitual and a bit easy to break but this rewards your ability to get the hit again.

I dont entirely agree with it being 50% PD. Most of the time ive noticed, after a break, its not a whole lot, but in the extreme cases of say Burnout or Vamp curse, even on a break a LOT is left for how simple it was for them to get that PD. Miraā€™s Curse and even RAAMs Instinct, im willing to excuse because its a limited resource in their instincts and Miraā€™s need setup.

Burnouts are the ones im iffy about, as cinderā€™s just get it for not a lot of effort with blocked infernos, coupled with his ability to get stray hits, and air cashout, seems a bit strong now.

Definitely a step in the right direction, id take 40% PD remaining after a break to deal with the extreme PD situations, and have it not be as skewed towards those characters more than other characters would be. Rather than maybe outright nerfing inferno or something.

Its a great change, but like anything, theres always room for tweaks to and around it