TJ Combo Season 3 Rebalance Discussion

Thunder, Glacius, Riptor, Aganos, Maya, Kan-Ra, Tusk and now TJ. I need to stop.

1 Like

Advantage ender and flip out it sounds to me like TJ is going to be a reset monster.

Canā€™t wait to reset people with new combos

Ok so Iā€™m an old KI player from arcade and SNES times and just came back on KI for xbox one. At this time Iā€™m here to say that Iā€™m really disappointed with the new TJ Combo, comparing to the old one, and Iā€™m gonna tell why:

The special move command [back + forward + medium punch] used to be great for chaining combo, when previously assigned to [rollercoaster] special move. But now itā€™s assigned to the grab movement [shot toss] which in my opinion isnā€™t that great for chaining. Other problem is that there are many moves that donā€™t hit the opponent, like back step and tumble, limiting the options while making a combo. As if itā€™s not bad enough the character is very slow and most of his attacks can be stopped and countered. To confirm my impressions I tried to put the CPU to play about 5 times, TJ combo vs Fulgore, and TJ wasnā€™t even close to win a match.

Just a heads upā€¦ itā€™s not about nerfing the others chars, itā€™s about making TJ combo better as he was before.

I thought Rollercoaster has always been :arrow_lower_right: MP? Was I wrong?

You have to use it in a grab setup, or after a Stagger. Like After landing a heavy punch, straight into Shoot Toss.

Backstep and Tumble are used for spacing and resets. Tumble can be used after a flipout with TJ to roll under the opponent to set up a mixup, or to dodge through projectiles.

Backstep is used to fake out the opponent, or bait them into pushing a button, which then you can go for some cool setups, or punish them for pushing a button. It also leads to cool juggles in instinct mode, but that is more advanced techniques.

The CPU isnā€™t the best to learn if a character is good or not. Trust me. Iā€™ve seen a TJ blow through a Shadow Jago Cpu and Aganos CPU, but lose to trying to powerline through Jagoā€™s Endokukens.

He is still very good, and the characterā€™s use of flipout and mixups is arguably the best in the game.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

yeah, heā€™s very different here compared to his other versions, (which were already different enough from each other) it takes a lot of getting used to.

Something else thatā€™s wonky is that his back-forward moves are different outside of a combo than inside of a combo. Now that one just annoyingly steepens he learning curve.

I put a decent amount of hours into him his mixups seem decent but yeah you have to press a lot of buttons to cancel out of moves, bait your opponent, then start juggling. Itā€™s all cool in the training room vacuum until, as you said, in matches it just seems like everything gets stuffed and he canā€™t keep up.

I dunno. I just keep a picture of KI1 TJ up and remember when he was Great.

LOL I can so Imagine this.

1 Like

God tier: Eyedol, Cinder
Top Tier: Glacius, Orchid
High Tier: Spinal, Riptor
Middle Tier: T.J. Combo, Fulgore
Low Tier: Sabrewulf, Jago
Bottom Tier: Thunder

So the accepted tier list for Killer Instinct 1 does not have Combo as especially great.

Also TJ has tons of cool combo stuff. He has crazy instinct only back step juggles. He has stagger manual combos. He also has a way to exit auto barrage back into the main combo system that I saw for the first time at Texas Showdown and have now added to my game. Heā€™s honestly got among the most interesting combo tools in the game.

Oooh! That sounds interesting. What is it, if you donā€™t mind sharing! :smile:

So he has two heavy barrage uppercuts. You can manual a light punch after the one where he faces forward. Itā€™s only off that so itā€™s somewhat easy to break. Plus if they lock out in auto barrage itā€™s probably more efficient to just go through to the barrage damage ender. But itā€™s mad style points.

Video demonstration here

Note that doesnā€™t really do 49% damage, I was too lazy to go get my stick and kept botching it on pad, so I had a bunch of white damage built up.

1 Like

Yooooo, Thatā€™s sick! I want to work on this! You could bait a counterbreaker after this! Thanks dude! I appreciate it! :smile: