⏰ Time to Un-Bundle KI Classic

It’s been a long time since there has been any game-related Killer Instinct news, and with Xbox Game Studios placing a bigger focus on accessibility and gaming wherever players want to, I think this is the perfect time to sell Killer Instinct Classic separately on the Xbox Marketplace.

Including the arcade classic with the complete first season was a great way to sell it back in 2013, but in 2020, I think it’d be more than fair to allow retro fans and KI fence-sitters the chance to plunk down $5/8/10 for Code Mystics’ perfect emulation of the original KI. Who knows? Maybe selling KI Classic on its own would further demonstrate to the Xbox crew that we want more KI!

As far as I see it, there are a few ways to do this:

Plan A – It seems that the easiest option would be to sell KI Classic on its own on the Xbox Marketplace. It’d be cool to see KI Classic in Xbox Game Pass too, outside of the Definitive Edition bundle!

Plan B – It’s Plan A + calling back Code Mystics to port KI Classic to the Windows Store, with cross-play on Xbox One. While many PCs aren’t tough enough to handle current-KI, most of our computers should be able to rock the 1995 original; it’d be so cool to play other people online via my laptop!

Plan C – Implement Plans A & B, give KI Classic to Steam users who purchased Killer Instinct already, and offer KI Classic as a separate purchase on Steam.

Plan D – (Redo whatever of these plans was executed, but with Killer Instinct 2 Classic too!)

Plan U(ltratech) – Get Code Mystics to further develop KI Classic to include new fighters like Sadira, Mira, and Aganos! CM noted before how they’d love to add onto the original game, and with the incredible job they’ve done restoring KI and how well it works online, I’d LOVE to see it! #TeamCodeMystics

What do you guys think about making Killer Instinct even more accessible to the gaming masses? I think it’d be one step closer to #BringBackKI

Fight on,

-Zenek

4 Likes

These are good ideas and I’d love to see them add or even update old games to add characters.

I can’t tell you the times where I had a dream of Riptor in KI2.

The question is can they though? Is it possible for them add onto the original game itself?

I’m sure software can still make it happen but I’m not completely sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment, and not only could Code Mystics add Riptor and company to Killer Instinct 2 Classic, they wanted to at some point:

That’s a little snippet from an interview between KI Central and Code Mystics’ own Jeff Vavasour, and you can read the full thing HERE. :star_struck:

How awesome would that enhanced KI2/KI crossover be? I’d be thrilled to see Code Mystics return to add more content to these classics- they did an awesome job the first time around!

-Zenek

2 Likes

I was actully abit sad they didn’t do it. So I guess they still have the engine so anything’s possible.

I’ve had dreams of that and I hope we do get it someday. It could even tie us over till KI4.

1 Like

:green_heart::star_struck::purple_heart:

The gladiators at Code Mystics want to #BringBackKI, so who wants to amplify their support for more Killer Instinct Classic on social media?

-Zenek

I don’t have a social media, but I’d love for them to implement characters from KI-1 into KI-2 with a new model, colors and move sets. Heck it is also weird but I thought of a what if for Riptor in KI-2

but I do say PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! do it code mystics!

Anyway here is the KI Riptor what if. Its short because I had to write how it would be if Riptor was in KI2

(Note the Ending Intro was added like it was the first scene in every ending.)

BIO
NAME: RIPTOR
HT: 7.0
WT: 700 LBS

AFTER THE ORIGINAL WAS DEFEATED BY TJ COMBO IN THE TOURNAMENT, RIPTOR II WAS CREATED. MORE INTELLIGENT AND DEADLIER THAN ITS PREDECESSOR, THIS HYBRID IS GIVEN A WHOLE NEW PURPOSE BY ULTRATECH.

ENDING INTRO

GARGOS WAS DEFEATED WITH THE POWER OF HUMAN INGENUITY AND NATURE COMBINED FOR THE ULTIMATE WAR MACHINE.

ENDING 1 (SPARE TJ COMBO AND FULGORE)

GARGOS WAS DEFEATED WITH THE POWER OF HUMAN INGENUITY AND NATURE COMBINED FOR THE ULTIMATE WAR MACHINE.

WITH RIPTORS SUCCESS, RIPTOR WAS BROUGHT TO THE FUTURE BY ULTRATECH TO PARTICIPATE IN THE TOURNAMENT.

TO PREVENT MISTAKES OF THE PAST, RIPTOR II IS PAIRED UP WITH IT’S PREDECESSOR IN THE TOURNAMENT.

FINDING KINSHIP, THEY BAND TOGETHER TO FACE THE ONE HUMAN WHO DEFEATED THE ORIGINAL. THIS TIME IT WILL BE DIFFERENT.

ENDING 2 (KILL FULGORE SPARE TJ COMBO)

WITH ITS PURPOSE NOW COMPLETE, ULTRATECH MOVES FORWARD WITH THE STALKER UNIT FOR WORLD DOMINATION.

BEFORE THEY COULD EXECUTE THEIR PLAN TJ COMBO DESTROYS THE ULTRATECH FACILITY ALLOWING RIPTOR AND MANY OF ITS KIN TO ESCAPE.

RIPTOR ENCOUNTERS TJ COMBO IN THE JUNGLE FOR ONE FINAL BATTLE. WHO WILL WIN? WILL IT BE MAN? OR WILL IT BE BEAST.

ENDING 3 (KILL TJ COMBO SPARE FULGORE)

HOWEVER EVEN WITH ULTRATECH’S SUCCESS, RIPTOR HAS PLANS OF ITS OWN. WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY CAME, RIPTOR TURNED ON ITS CREATORS.

HOWEVER ULTRATECH HAD ANTICIPATED THE CREATURE WOULD REBEL AND SENT IN ITS DEADLIEST WEAPON FULGORE TO KILL IT.

THOUGH IT WAS SUCCESSFUL IN KILLING GARGOS AND TJ COMBO, ITS PRIMAL POWER WAS NOT ENOUGH. FULGORE HAD ENDED ITS REBELLION.

ENDING 4 (KILL FULGORE AND TJ COMBO)

HOWEVER EVEN WITH ULTRATECH’S SUCCESS, RIPTOR HAS PLANS OF ITS OWN. WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY CAME, RIPTOR TURNED ON ITS CREATORS.

WITH NO ONE LEFT TO STOP IT, RIPTOR LEADS ULTRATECH TO ITS UNDOING, DOOMING THE HUMAN RACE.

2000 YEARS LATER, HUMANS ARE UNABLE TO DEFEAT RIPTOR’S ARMY OF DINOSAUR HYBRIDS. HUMANITY IS EXTINCT AND DINOSAURS RULE THE EARTH ONCE MORE.

Edit: sorry, I got way too excited. I need to be realistic.

1 Like

I think this is a fine idea. But I don’t know if the co tract with CodeMystics or any other red tape prevent it.

2 Likes

@justathereptile Funny enough, my headcannon imagines that between the death of the original Riptor and scrambling to deal with the whole “being tossed through time and space” deal, that they may not have access to a Riptor 2.0 to chase down Gargos.

If the KI2 timeline is anything like the current one, the cyborg-dinosaur sector of Ultratech utilized some key Fulgore tech when designing Riptor, and like how ARIA fell back on the “failed,” yet deadly Kilgore prototype in the fight against Gargos, I’d like to imagine Ultratech throwing up their hands, clipping a shock collar onto their least insane/savage Stalker-Alpha model, and sending the crazy feral beast to deal with the Gargos problem, and maybe kill Orchid for getting Ultratech into this position for killing off Eyedol too. Why not?

@BigBadAndy Thanks so much! If anything, the community is hungry for more Killer Instinct, and if the word gets out that the only thing holding us back from getting more KI Classic from a proven developer who wants to give us more is a greenlight from Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios, that retweet button could help #BringBackKI. Crazier things have happened, right?

-Zenek

Its not a bad idea. Though I only did that to connect the two riptors together. It’s just a what if anyway.

1 Like

Well we will fid out in some way.

1 Like