The Shadows Beckon my Master - Omen Combo Thread

The original way to do it was meter less, which was adjusted.

Omen is giving up a bar of his to keep the pressure and apply a mix-up. I don’t see why this should get adjusted, frankly.

And no, there has been no indication of an adjustment to the Shadow version.

2 Likes

I hadn’t realized the OG was meterless. My bad.

@FinchoMatic has a good point - it’s hard to argue a bar for a -8 (so, punishable) 50/50 is nerf-worthy. I’d say it’s safe to practice based on that logic. I mean, that’s pretty much nothing compared to any application of [3K].

So… is that a late-cancel off st.LK, or link timing? Or is that the trick that makes it a mixup? Or is it just a visual gimmick? Does it always hit on the same side, or is it a timing-changes-sides thing ala Sadira?

EDIT:
So it’s not a cancel. Maybe at the perfect height it can work as a cancel, but cancelling just made me slide under as they fell every time, regardless of height or cancel timing.

The idea is to hit the flipout and let them fall a wee bit (pretty much just enough for st.LK to recover, a little more) then raw EX.Slide. It’s considerably trickier than it would seem to hit crossup. Seems like more of a “mental damage” mixup, with the goal being to get the opponent focused on pondering how the hell that hit them. It is genuinely difficult to block, but punishable w/ no safe recourse apart from INSX cancel (even in w/ the INSX +2 bonus it’s still punishable).

I don’t see why this would be considered nerf-worthy. Hitting crossup w/ it means losing most of it’s upfront damage and spending a bar on an actual risk (something Omen doesn’t have to do, like, ever) whose payout is less than other options at the same cost. Nerfing this is wasting office hours. Practice up, fellas.

1 Like

Unless there is a clear way to block it I see it as an unhonest mix up. I can see why you guys can validate it based on resource use but the intention of that move was not to hit that way.

I personally will not use it.

I want to build off this. Is it fair to say that you thought that this was strictly supposed to be used for opener, linker, and ender situations?

1 Like

no, i mean the way the hitbox is utilized is not how the devs pictured it. This is why the regular slides got hitbox adjustments in the first place. The hitbox is so big that the move that is suppose to hit in one direction hits in a completely different direction because the character collision box crossed up during the flipout animation.

I see the combat team nerfing the hitbox on the shadow slide if toneri (samano) XSk8te plans on using this as a primary tactic in gameplay.

Well, I would disagree.

It would seem to be a pretty easy tell when you should block considering that:

• There’s a small startup flash period before he does it
  • From there, quickly determine the distance where you are from the ground, block accordingly.

It’s not that difficult to just go into the practice mode and see where this could be tested using your character and from there punishing accordingly, since this is -8 on block. You have very good advantage.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but this mentality is not conducive w/ successful fighting game play. The only “honest” mixup is a weak mixup, and Omen is probably the filthiest character in the game. This EX.Slide thing is a borderline gimmick. It loses to reversal and might as well lose to jump.

I’m not sure if the startup flash is enough to actually help one block it - I couldn’t block it correctly when I set up the dummy, but I have sort of slow reactions. Even if the freeze doesn’t help you block it, the freeze will help any DP character to reversal out. More importantly, this is just a pure 50/50 with a guaranteed punish if defender guesses correctly - which is to say that reactable or no, it’s strictly worse than a [3K] mixup that has no telegraph and is safe.

It’s an unnecessary risk whose value in short sets is considerably less than what I get from [3K] off of the same flipout, so I cannot justify using it often.

Considering that they nerfed EX.Slide to be punishable several months after the meterless crossup slide nerf, I have to assume the combat team is aware of this and unconcerned. I can’t imagine they would nerf a move because one very good player decides to lean on seriously sub-optimal play.

Or it gets nerfed and I’m talking out my ■■■■. That’s why I’m saying [3K] is better, and they can’t nerf [3K] w/o ruining it, so… I dunno.

Just don’t handicap yourself w/ this “dishonest” stuff. I strongly recommend reading Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War” for some meaningful insight on strategization and interplay between minds in a general sense, and David Sirlin’s “Playing to Win” for similar insights but related directly to the FGC through the lens of one of our own old timers.

I’ll consider it.

1 Like

I was working on this set up last night, I still dont fully understand all the parts from watching the clip but I already go the basics down. But Im working on it.

1 Like

It’s really just weird timing, there’s no trick to it, other than not cancelling the st.LK. There’s not much to glean from the clip other than how free that Freddie Mac guy was to Toneri, but if he was trying to say Toneri was “modding” then he probably wasn’t blocking at all anyway.

Those jf.HP’s were really elegant, I’ll give him that. I’m gonna have to try and implement those, but they also look like they’re just asking for a DP. *edit: they can be punished w/ backdash>tripguard at that spacing, but who the hell backdashes anything?

I just wish people posted tech demonstrations w/ inputs on. Like, if you’re showing it off, it’s gonna get found out anyway. At least make it easy on the people trying to learn…

That was Freddie mac? I played him last night in EX and he was a total jerk. I beat his thunder 2-0 with Omen and then we switched. …he to Omen and I to Killgore and he beat me pretty good. …but he was a total jerk about it and the whole time he was singing over the mic some stupid Journey song.

Then sent me a message that just said “trash”.

He thinks his Omen is great, but its not… its good, but he isnt amazing by no means. He def dont need to be calling people trash and claiming “mods”

Honestly I beat myself because for some reason I just couldn’t stop guess breaking last night, I couldn’t focus. I just kept doing it even though I kept saying to my self Im not going to do it.

Anyway… seems he yelled mod because he thinks he is the best Omen and Toneri showed him real quick…he isnt even close.

1 Like

Can I get this on a shirt, please?

2 Likes

Actually, I recently got a line on a used silk screener, so if/when homeslice pulls through, I’ll get at you.

That one is definitely shirt worthy. :smiley:

Oooh, wait… do you think there’d be a market for FGC fortune cookies? I’ve delivered some pretty good wisdom around here in easily digestable form that gets lost in paragraphs and flagged cuz I’m an xsshole.

EDIT: Guys, why are we breaking down the EX.Slide crossup in the combo thread? This whole discussion should be in the Tech thread…

I blame @DurtyDee810.

1 Like