The seasonal model seems to be dead

Yes, you are right. But every product has its life cycle and maybe KI has reached it’s peak.

So maybe now all it lasts is to squeeze it a bit more with individual downloads before they stop supporting it completely in 2018.

After that, they’ll see how much community there’s left to justify a KI2 or not.

I know others have said that MS doesn’t normally do sequels Halo aside, but they wanted to have a fighter and they have one now. I believe KI sequels are not far fetched.

1 Like

I hope that “adapting” and “growing from the seasonal cycle” means a whole new type of seasonal model. After this post-season content, we’ll have about 30 characters. Maybe the model will adapt to shoot for smaller seasonal roster additions, but include other sorts of content.

The game has SL, which will be updated as more characters get added, a new focus on cosmetic items, and now possibly resources going to animating ultimates and such. Maybe the “adapting” is changing to four character seasons, with cosmetics and SL missions added along with it. The roster is quite huge, so adding eight characters together would be more difficult to balance, so seasons will be less character focused, but more rounded out with various content across all modes.

Glad to see people are being smart about this. Kudos.

1 Like

In the gameplay prior to Jago’s ultimate reveal, you can clearly see that Jago has 4 wins.

#Season4Confirmed

5 Likes

I think once all the ultimates are added the package will be pretty much complete, leaving room for only smaller updates.

whaaaaaa! I want everything for free! /endthread

I think it’s really cool what they’re trying to do. It’s funny it’s basically the same thing they did with shadowjago, except they presented it differently so now people are acting like whiny children.

This time is even better because they don’t have a cap on the funds so the community gets more of the money back in tournament prizes. I do find it interesting that logically this method is better for the community than the shadow jago but because it was presented as a “here you go” rather than an “option” like shadow jago was we have all of these people up in arms about the cost.

So just to clarify. There was a community fund for shadow jago, if the game made more than 100k on Shadow Jago purchases they would make him a real character, the first 100k would go into prize pools with the rest being profit to IG/MS. There were then many threads with people asking for more community funds for more content. They’ve essentially done that now, except this time the product is already ready and there is no cap on the community fund.

You’re not paying 10$ for Kilgore you’re paying 5$ for him and 5$ for the future tournament scene of KI. When you say you’re paying 10$ for Kilgore that’s your opinion, you don’t give a crap about the future tournament scene of the game only the character. The reality is 5$ to IG/MS for the character and 5$ to Tournament scene.

1 Like

My bet’s on a continuous stream of updates that can be purchased a la carte. Want ultimates? Buy that pack. Think Kilgore isn’t you’re speed? Pass on him. Are you part of the “we need skins and stages” crowd? Wait for those packs to come out.

I think that’s what’s meant by “grow with our audience.” Survey says 1,000 different things. So, produce 1,000 different things and sell them separately rather than asking each player to buy all 1,000 things, even if they don’t want 999 of them.

People who used to say “1,000 things? I don’t need 1,000 things. I’ll pass on KI,” will soon say “oh, I do want those 200 things. Gimme those and call me a community member.”

1 Like

If you look even more closely, you’ll notice that Kilgore has 2 minigun arms. He also has 2 legs. And Jago has 2 arms and 2 legs. And there were 2 characters fighting in the video. And they fought for 2 rounds…

HL3 confirmed.

4 Likes

Okay, I started this thread, and in no way was it my intention to whine about having to pay for anything. If you think that’s what I was driving at, you’re mistaken.

Am I worried that switching to a new a la carte model will make everything a lot more expensive than it was during the seasonal model? Yes. But that doesn’t mean I want everything for free either. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I started the thread because Kraig’s tweets made me wonder if the seasonal model is dead and they’re fully switching to an a la carte model and if so, what that could mean.

Indeed, my comment was hyperbolic.

I didn’t respond directly to you or anyone in particular there are a number of posts and posters who appear to be complaining about the option for them to buy a new character.

2 Likes

This is a fair concern. The great thing about the season model was being able to buy in bulk at a good value proposition. A la carte offerings tend to be weaker value offerings for the price. However, if we get things like Ultimates and hopefully some alternate/recolor stages as home stages for some characters as part of the regular updates, then it evens out.

I would like MS/IG to be better about announcing content availability options more clearly upfront. For example, the existence of the digital version of the DE, and the availability of the Gargos skins as unlockables seemed like they were purposely withheld.

It seems to me that S4, like S3, will start after the KI Cup. This “after S3 content” is just that, content before the eventual S4 drop. This is all seemingly happening at the same time that Shago dropped last year.

1 Like

Exactly. Its common sense at this point. What we really should be speculating on is if the next two characters will be remix characters as well, because this would also mean they won’t be receiving more than one accessory set and a stage.

THE DREAM IS DEAD

1 Like

Its nothing like what they did with Shago, actually.

shago fund
Cost:
$20
Gains:
7,500 KI gold ($19.99 value)
Shadow Jago skin for Jago
Promise of full character moveset
Tournament funding support

#Kilgore fund
Cost:
$10
Gains:
Kilgore ($5 value)
Tournament funding support

Kilgore is a remix, with no achievements and one accessory set. The difference is the first fund actually gave you your money’s worth so regardless of if you wanted to support tournaments you were getting what you paid for. Kilgore’s fund is basically forcing you to donate if you want the character and you’re loosing $5 in the process. Even $5 in KI gold would have made this decision stomach-able but no, the character’s price was jacked up to double just for the sake of forced donations.

Had they said “Yeah, if we reach 200k in donations we’ll make stages for Mira and Eyedol!” I would have jumped up and supported this fund, bought Kilgore on all 3 of my accounts and given money to my friends to buy him, just like I did with Shago. But taking my money and not even giving me something to shoot for, or even giving me something in return for the value of my support? Come on. I’m sure the majority of people that begged for a second fund wanted one so they could fund something real, something in-game that they desired.

Yeah tournaments are a big deal but to the other 99% of the population they really don’t matter that much in the long run and when you’re asking everyone to fund something against their will that a minority of players actually get to participate in, its hard to swallow.

4 Likes

What if all three of the characters end up costing $10?

That would suck.

2 Likes

I guessed it!

The seasonal model isn’t dead, just how the KI community receives its information. Outside of this forum, no one really knows what’s going on in the KI world. I don’t even see people tweeting out KI tourney’s anymore. More of a KI community problem than a seasonal model problem. After all, SFV S2 seems to be in full swing.

If its true and they won’t be doing seasons anymore, then it seems they are going to be testing the waters with overpriced DLC like Killgore. If they plan on doing this, then the game and series is as dead as Street Fighter in my opinion. Why developers, and publishers do this kind of thing is beyond me. They opt to make a quick easy buck when they should be looking at the long term and the masses that brought it up to where it was. Its looking like the end of Season 3 is as high as the series will ever get.

However, if indeed the seasonal model isn’t dead then great. Just don’t release overpriced DLC behind a paywall that forces you to support some pro gaming tour you may not care about. This is a slap in the face to a majority of your players, esp those like myself that have spent $40 each on all 3 of your previous seasons. Shadow Jago pushed it, but now this is unacceptable.

1 Like