The real problem with KI and solution

The character should be able to also train real time in their own stage atmosphere. I want to be able to perfect Orchid combos with the helicopters swerving and bombs blasting away in the background

Mick Gordon really had awesome sound technique for the stages
Listen to how you hear the helicopters swerve from left ear to right ear on Rebel Outpost, or the Jungle creatures and waterfalls of Maya stage

1 Like

I dont agree the cast is pretty well used.

A dojo mode for everyone would be awesome but its not the problem with KI lol.

In my eyes KI doesnā€™t have a problem at all

That is true, KI doesnā€™t have a problem. Its actualy just a way to get IGā€™s attention :wink:
It would be just awesome to have a dojo for every character, donā€™t need the basic moves just some easy to advanced combos.

1 Like

i agree!

but at what cost? wouldnā€™t you like them just to work on more balancing? :smiley:

I wouldnā€™t be shocked if Dojo was trashed due to how robust it would need to be to accommodate all the characters. Jagoā€™s is outdated now because he has evolved over the years. With move properties so volatile right now I donā€™t see dojos being 100% beneficial.

I think it would be beneficial, in march we have season 3 with pc port, so hopefully a lot of new players.
I think they would definitly take advantage of a dojo for al characters.

I think this is a waste of time only because everyone I talk to is not patient enough for tutorials even if they want to learn the game.

The tutorial must be built as something that rewards you. I proposed a change of tutorial with a consistent reward after you finished it, so many people or most of them will do it before launching themselves into the unknown.

The other alternative is to force the tutorial before doing anything else, but thatā€™s kinda stupid.

But of course, giving out a character for free of S1 has been considered heresy from most of the people watching this forum, but I donā€™t know if thereā€™s another good alternative as a reward for new players that complete the tutorial.

Iā€™d agree that dojo modes for all the cast would be very nice to see, particularly since not all charactersā€™ gameplans are immediately apparent (ie Aganos, Aria, Cinder even). While something super in-depth would be pretty cool, thereā€™d be no practical chance of getting it all done unless the community was given some kind of ā€œdojo editingā€ capability or tool.

I think basic knowledge or charactersā€™ gameplans would be sufficient. What are good enders for meter, pressure, damage, a few basic setups, ways to low profile or otherwise deal with fireball pressure, etc. Nothing super in-depth, but just enough to give a new player some basic idea of how a particular character can be played to at least moderate success.

3 Likes

Easy: an ample chunk of character XP. Thatā€™ll help the player get set up with new colours and accessories for the character theyā€™re picking up, which makes far more sense than unlocking an unrelated character as a reward.

But Iā€™m also going to take a kinda cheesy tack and suggest that learning deeper fighting game concepts that improve your performance in some aspect of a match is its own reward. The focus of a fighting game is progression of ability as a player, not progression of a setting, narrative or collection of unlocks.

One idea that springs to mind for character specific Dojo lessons could be community favouritesā€™ combos, cross ups and juggle strings.

What do I mean by this? Well for example, one lesson for Spinal could be a favourite tactic (like the power devour juggle) performed by Bass, or an Orchid High/low tactic performed by KI4Life. What about some crazy Riptor shenanigans by PaulB, or Aganos lessons from Zergkiller?

Did SF3 (3rd strike or whatever) not recreate the Evo moment #37 for others to learn? Thatā€™s kind of what Iā€™m talking about for putting into dojo.

This idea would bring the tourney players together for a project that would be driven by those that mastered the characters. I feel like this would tighten the community a bit as well, as it might spark some friendly rivalry and some added following for the tourney players.

3 Likes

I kinda like your idea very much! Youā€™ve got my vote. :smile:

Itā€™s a great Idea, but there is only one problem; Time. As we have seen over the past year, IG is constantly at work and rarely has any free time to put in other features that would be for the better. If (and/or when) this were to be implemented, I think their best bet would be to hire someone to help them with each ā€œcharacter lessonā€ similar to how they got Max to help make season 2 story mode.
In terms of content, I think these character lessons should serve as almost an intractable version of the live streams. I mean this in the sense that it would break down unique traits, noteworthy normals, special moves, shadow moves, and instinct mode, as well as general strategy and mindset.

Nobody has been able to substantiate it with anything beyond ā€œbut it makes things too easyā€, stopping short of providing anything compelling and recoiling at the evidence to the contrary. Iā€™ve been scrolling right past those posts lately once identified, making sense of it makes my brain hurt.

• the new UI is hand-holding because the new UI is does what it was designed to do ā€¦ make the game easier to learn

if you miss a combo break, you only have 2 other options for strength breaks. KI is great because itā€™s a deep game, thereā€™s simpler fighting games out there like Smash Bros and Naruto Ninja Storms. Now you have big ugly letters messing up the HUD. Thereā€™s Final Fantasy if you want big ugly text all over the fight.

• anyway, not to the derail the thread. IMO tutorials is greater for new players than a UI change. have more variety than 10 Jagos in a row too.

if you want clarification, the new UI is like having a soccer mom constantly yelling out what to do ā€¦ just learn itā€™s a sport, learn the ā€œsportā€ in ā€œe-sportā€, learn to take losses like a champ before you get good.

Anyway, whatā€™s done is done. Seems the new UI is here to stay.

Yes, which means you had to take one more guess or spend a minute in the lab going over the animations before knowing what something was. All the new UI does is remove that one guess and lab visit. Is removing one guess or a short few seconds in the lab really hand holding?

1 Like

I donā€™t agree, but letā€™s just say that it didā€¦ it would be by quite a small margin. Modes existed before the UI change that contained the exact same information. Combo strength icons were worked into training mode a long time ago. Prior to combo breaker training, one was able to quite easy pop into training mode and observe auto-doubles and manuals of their own volition. The UI used to tell you if it was a strength or timing failure, and everyone was previously able to sort out which strength they should have broken.

Aside from all of that, and more importantly - what in the world is wrong with easy to access information about game mechanics? Is this 1989? Everyone knows the shoryuken input. There is honestly no sense in making aspects of a game mysterious; it would only serve to ensure that less people are playing the game.

This is basically cognitive drift. I have no idea what you were trying to say here. Itā€™s like some strange attempt at a filibuster.

At any rate, the size of the UI display is exactly what it was before. I can barely tell a difference when Iā€™m actually focused on my opponent.

This is not clarification. This is a hyperbolic fever dream. And I take my losses just fine, thank you, but I have no idea how thatā€™s relevant to this discussion.

Exactly this. Iā€™m assuming this cat thinks that Combo Breaker Training was also hand holding.

1 Like

Not sure this is the best analogy for your point though. I mean, in Football if thereā€™s an infraction of the rules, the refs throw a flag, stop the game, tell everyone who committed the fowl and why it was a fowl, what the penalty will be, who the penalty effect, where they will go as a result of the penalty, and what the game state will return to after the dust has settled. On top of your coach and your quarter back telling the athletes in question play by play exactly what to do and where to go, and the announcers letting anybody who isnā€™t playing know everything thatā€™s going on and whyā€¦
I donā€™t know about you, but actual sports seem a lot more hand holdy than putting a letter on screen to let them know what they already failed to break.

1 Like

Put Aganos as the dojocharacter :wink:

Yes Aganos as the beatup doll