The "GGs" Thread! (AKA The Enormous Matchmaking and Rational Beef Resolution Thread)

I might be available to join, if you guys like. With all my character colors and relative lack of skill/practice I’ll be the prettiest punching bag in town :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If it’s alright with @Marbledecker and @SightlessKombat et al of course

1 Like

Hey, wait for me! Can I join you? When we start play KI?

Next Friday…Right Guys? Not this week, but next week.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind joining in, but fair warning, most lobbies I join tend to crash. Though before we get to that, there is the issue of when.

Here you go, @STORM179 & @Sasuke99I!

4 Likes

How do you use Hisako’s command grab mid-combo? Every time I try to do it, it whiffs… :’(

…the only time I can do it 100% successfully is either doing it nekkid or afte a wall bounce…

Thanks @Marbledecker! You’re the man :grin:

Just for some context, these sets were actually somewhat intermingled in that the Jago matches all took place before the last 6 fights of the Fulgore set. That’s why you see certain adaptations (counter break attempts, quick breaks) in the last matches of the Fulgore set that don’t necessarily seem all that intuitive. It just made sense to organize them by character, though, so that’s what I did. These are all the matches that we played save for two in which Sasuke’s controller died out.

I think there are still a lot of players who have trouble dealing with runaway playstyles, so hopefully this gives those players some idea of how to deal with such. A big part of being successful against it is being willing to not chase, or to chase only in certain ways or at certain times. Not getting frustrated is the biggest thing - trying to bulldog your way in because you’re ticked off is a great way to get yourself beat.

Any time you see Hisako command grab someone “in combo” not after a wall splat, it was actually a reset. I am doing it “nekkid”, as you say, and all you need to do to avoid being hit by it is to simply hold up while you’re being combo’d. There are ways for me to punish this, of course, but in general (as I am wont to say) if Hisako is in instinct, you should be holding up.

Mechanically speaking, the reset used is generally the medium influence. It is 5 frames, so has less chance of coming out while the opponent is still in hitstun (like the the light one) or of getting poked out by mash something (like the heavy). The timing to get it to come out instead of an influence linker is tightish, but not overly difficult once you’ve practiced it.

Thanks for the matches @Sasuke99I, and for your graciousness in allowing this to be posted.

2 Likes

And as before, the offer to describe or otherwise analyze the fights is still open. I’d be more than happy to provide what insight I can on Hisako in general or on these fights in particular. What enders I used and when, why certain setups in certain situations, what the thinking was/is behind certain defensive options, etc.

A lot of what Hisako does is unsafe or otherwise punishable. Understanding what she’s going for and why, and the relative strengths and weaknesses of each option, is the key to beating her.

1 Like

I don’t really get why you use shadow influence as an ender. It doesn’t do much more than normal influence ender (if you value the hard knockdown) and it does considerably worse than shadow possession (if you don’t value the hard knockdown). To me it kind of seems like a waste of meter? Especially considering how amazing shadow influence is in neutral (which I was surprised to see you not try to use that much, although Sasuke was holding up a lot).

For those asking Can I join in? I can’t remember what the limit is off the top of my head.

For those asking When? Not this friday/Saturday coming, but the next one (it’s probably going to be Saturday.

I want to have a list of people so that I can know who to invite etc, so PM me (with the subject “forum lobby” or similar) and if you’re one of those people who has a GT that’s different to their username, let me know that as well. I can make sure anyone who isn’t on my friends list can be their at the “event”, as it were. I’ll post a list of time zones etc closer to the date itself.

I’m pretty sure the Lobby limit is 8 including the two playing.

Shadow influence ender for me is always a missed input. I think I may have gotten it twice in the whole set. As you say, it isn’t very much damage, and affords more or less the same oki as a normal influence ender (though the shadow lets you do lvl 4-style setups regardless of ender level, which can be useful if you aren’t comfortable with the other influence timings).

And I didn’t use it in neutral because, as you noted, he was pretty much jumping at all times if there wasn’t a fireball out. Not much point in trying to use shadow influence through fireballs or against that play style. I’d rather save the meter to shadow ORZ a fireball on reaction or trip guard a jump back+button with shadow possession.

Thanks for the input, but after my own message, I went into the lab and figured it out for myself. :wink:

For some reason, I have a bad habit of accidentally hitting QCB+LP mid-combo that, naturally, stops me dead in my tracks - I’m working on breaking that bad habit. I find I can do some nice damage (sand combo-breaks of course), starting with a throw into command grab (with full wrath meter) into full-combo punish (and hopefully with shadow meter for the added damage).

I generally like to shadow rekka into wall-splat into command grab to finish combos; is that in any way advantageous over say, the damage ender?

QCB+LP is a light influence linker, so assuming you haven’t just done a linker that shouldn’t be dropping your combos.

The main benefit to doing wall-splat into command grab is that it allows you to refill your wrath and get a good oki setup off of the influence - it’s fairly low damage since the combo-able versions of it heavily scale the command grab. My personal preference when going for this is to use heavy influence as the command grab - heavy influence comes out so slowly that this is not actually a true combo, and so you get full damage for the command grab and still get your wrath refill and solid oki options. Flipside to that is, of course, that the command grab is now jumpable or DP-able, since the opponent technically returns to neutral before it hits.

Like most things Hisako, each setup has its uses, and the key is figuring out which to use and when. If you want a wrath refill and a hard knockdown, then wall splat->command grab is fine. If you want guaranteed damage and to keep the corner and don’t care about your wrath, damage ender is what you want. If you want both damage and wrath and don’t mind a little risk, then wall-splat->heavy influence is your best bet, or perhaps wall splat->TK-ORZ, particularly if you’re wrath is full.

There’s not really a wrong or optimal choice there - it all comes down to personal preference and what you value as a player. I personally dislike using shadow ORZ in-combo, for instance, as I think it is too easy to break in general and wastes too much time in lockout situations. I tend to prefer to use my meter on shadow possession cashouts and shadow influence in neutral. But that’s because of the things I value when playing Hisako - your own preferences will align with what you think is important to being successful with her.

1 Like

GGs to @MasterZenek and @jukesy1992 - that was an interesting set to say the least, not just because, Zenek, you very kindly helped me get the “What a combo” achievement with 101 hits (Hope to have footage of that staged fight up soon).

I’ll make a separate topic for the lobby so as not to derail the thread, even though the beginnings of the discussion have started here.

1 Like

Had a quick Best of 3 with @mineisbroken. It was a close fight, but I choked at the end.
Good job, sir!

1 Like

6 Likes

Yup! Reset combos always make me feel good!

While fighting some Shadows tonight, I managed to top my previous best combo damage by 10%! Not counting fighting against an ARIA, of course!

1 Like

GG @WebNRaGnArOk! he took the set 1 - 2 against my fulgore training bot MKIII…again. i will have my revenge in due time! now back to welding and fixing the damage on this thing. lousy ultratech didnt want to honor their warranty policy!

1 Like