The "GGs" Thread! (AKA The Enormous Matchmaking and Rational Beef Resolution Thread)

Woo! Top 16 hype!

1 Like

If that’s the case, I’ll take it! :smiley:

Seriously, top 16 out of 115 total registered competitors? Very cool.

1 Like

Ooh…think I messed up on this. I forgot that getting sent to Loser’s means you wind up playing “extra” matches, so you can’t really go just by number of wins. In my defense, I didn’t actually go to sleep last night… :sweat_smile:

Here’s the brackets for CEO. You can find your placement there:

2 Likes

GGs to @Zcythe, watched you play against @INDIxion on his stream a couple minutes ago.

any of you going to be at EVO?

Here’s a shoutout to @DarkLrdChuckles for rolling into some sets with me today and showing me the ropes! And by ‘showing me the ropes’ I mean ‘wrecking me against them’ with, like, every possible character. :wink: Fun games man, and thanks!

Also, had quite a few close games as I battled through the silver ceiling and into gold this morning - gg and wp if I saw any of you there!

What character was I using at the time?

You played RAAM vs his Spnal

Oh geez, my RAAM isn’t particularly good, and I was on stream. :confused:

I have already seen the bracket info, which is why it seems so confusing to me, and why I asked for clarification. According to it, I made 9th place, as did a bunch of other people. Many others tied for other places within and across brackets too. What I don’t understand is why this is and why I got 9th place and Ostrich got 5th if we both went 3-2.

Actually, here’s a question that might answer something: @TheNinjaOstrich, how many did you win BEFORE going into the losers bracket? 'Cause I won only 1 before getting sent to losers, and then won the other 2 in losers. If you can answer this question with an answer that I think you’ll give, it’ll show that more weight is (obviously) given to wins outside of the losers bracket, hence the higher placement (which would make a lot of sense, considering that seems to be the case with the top 8 I always see at tournaments).

@Lecter2005. Ggs. Let’s see if you can escape those command grab resets next time.

Those were some fun matches…We definitely gotta do that again sometime soon :smiley:

I won 3, then lost 2. In that order.

Didn’t go 5th though. Got 17th. Just short of Top 16.

If you look at the brackets, the #5 is next to your name and #9 is next to mine. That’s what’s confusing me.

Well, just remember that the whole top two lines of that list is people in Top 8 - I certainly didn’t make 3rd place in the tournament. The numbers beside our names are not dispositive of our placing in the whole tournament. The numbers are where you wound up placing within your own bracket. I got 3rd place out of my bracket, while Ostrich tied for 5th in his. You tied for 9th in your bracket, but that’s quite a bit further down in rankings for the tournament writ large (but still good!)

1 Like

Ggs @DulXboxOne

1 Like

If we disregard the idea that the brackets may have been uneven, we can solve this mathematically. Since there were four pools, if you ranked 3rd in your pool then you could be considered one of the four guys tied for 9th (meaning if sorted out by more games the four of you would have come in 9-12th place). I would say that’s pretty damn good. Two of the four guys in this slot have sponsors…

For @GalacticGeek he tied for 9th in his bracket. The way they are scoring ties is that everyone is listed as tied for the highest possible rank (i.e. 9-12 are listed as tied for 9th, not tied for 12th). This is a bit more complicated because between all 4 brackets there’s 16 guys tied for 9th in their brackets. In theory, this means that these 16 guys come in behind the top 8 of each of the 4 brackets (32 players). So these 16 guys would (if additional games were played to rank them against each other) be placed between 33-48th place in the overall tournament (of 115 participants if Geeks total is right). They could all be listed as tied for 33rd. Still pretty damn good in my book.

This was a pretty stacked tourney. Lots of big name FGC guys playing the game casually and ending up down in the losers bracket at 0-2 or 1-2. So it’s not a tourney where the level of competition is such that fundamentals are going to get you out of pools. This was a no joke tourney and you guys should all be pleased.

Make no mistake, I am pleased, as I’ve already stated numerous times. No matter how you look at it, I’m certain that I was in the top 1/3rd of players, which is really good, especially when you consider that there were over 115 of us, and a lot of them being pros or sponsored or both.

I was just confused as to how things were scored. While at the event, it seemed like even the staff that was keeping track was often confused - they kept checking results with each other, told me I was going up on stream at 1 point and then not because they thought I was someone else, and told me to tell them each individual match win and loss as they happened but then didn’t bother to record it when I did, etc.

One of the things I was hoping to learn from this event was exactly how tournaments work - while I did learn a lot, a lot concerning it is still quite confusing to me because of how things were seemingly handled. Of course, since this is my 1st big tournament, I have no prior experience to determine the status quo for if this kind of thing is completely normal during these kinds of events or not, so I digress…

When’s EVO?

July 15.