The "GGs" Thread! (AKA The Enormous Matchmaking and Rational Beef Resolution Thread)

If we disregard the idea that the brackets may have been uneven, we can solve this mathematically. Since there were four pools, if you ranked 3rd in your pool then you could be considered one of the four guys tied for 9th (meaning if sorted out by more games the four of you would have come in 9-12th place). I would say that’s pretty damn good. Two of the four guys in this slot have sponsors…

For @GalacticGeek he tied for 9th in his bracket. The way they are scoring ties is that everyone is listed as tied for the highest possible rank (i.e. 9-12 are listed as tied for 9th, not tied for 12th). This is a bit more complicated because between all 4 brackets there’s 16 guys tied for 9th in their brackets. In theory, this means that these 16 guys come in behind the top 8 of each of the 4 brackets (32 players). So these 16 guys would (if additional games were played to rank them against each other) be placed between 33-48th place in the overall tournament (of 115 participants if Geeks total is right). They could all be listed as tied for 33rd. Still pretty damn good in my book.

This was a pretty stacked tourney. Lots of big name FGC guys playing the game casually and ending up down in the losers bracket at 0-2 or 1-2. So it’s not a tourney where the level of competition is such that fundamentals are going to get you out of pools. This was a no joke tourney and you guys should all be pleased.

Make no mistake, I am pleased, as I’ve already stated numerous times. No matter how you look at it, I’m certain that I was in the top 1/3rd of players, which is really good, especially when you consider that there were over 115 of us, and a lot of them being pros or sponsored or both.

I was just confused as to how things were scored. While at the event, it seemed like even the staff that was keeping track was often confused - they kept checking results with each other, told me I was going up on stream at 1 point and then not because they thought I was someone else, and told me to tell them each individual match win and loss as they happened but then didn’t bother to record it when I did, etc.

One of the things I was hoping to learn from this event was exactly how tournaments work - while I did learn a lot, a lot concerning it is still quite confusing to me because of how things were seemingly handled. Of course, since this is my 1st big tournament, I have no prior experience to determine the status quo for if this kind of thing is completely normal during these kinds of events or not, so I digress…

When’s EVO?

July 15.

GG’s to @STORM179 @SightlessKombat and @DarkLrdChuckles

Great matches all around.

2 Likes

GG’s to you as well Mandrill, and shout-out to @DarkLrdChuckles for playing 35 matches with me even after the lobby ended :slight_smile:

GG’s to @TheRealMil as well - hopefully the matches were helpful!

Oh I didn’t know you were in a lobby with them! I saw your party and it said anonymous. I want comfortable joining because of that.

Ah. Yeah, I was just in the lobby with those guys :-p

We can play some other time though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thaz 2 days before me birfday! :birthday:

That Hisako is scary :fearful: @STORM179 but i learned sooo much…we def gotta do that again sometime soon!! :“Clever girl” u have there @MandrillManiac :wink: those were some great matches!!

1 Like

Thanks and I’ll second ggs to @DarkLrdChuckles (I didn’t face @Storm179, but that doesn’t mean we won’t fight in the future though)

1 Like

Ggs to @R1stormrider for a very fun set with his mira. Even though I think my character doesn’t have a good matchup with mira I enjoyed the game. Learned a lot.

1 Like

Hey thanks again for the games today, @DarkLrdChuckles! It’s been really helpful to play with somebody who will punish most of the sloppy play I throw out, and who will quickly catch on to any gimmicky shenanigans I try to pull. It teaches me a lot and makes me play more thoughtfully!

GG to @DulXboxOne, who is far better than I remember him being. So much so, that I’d say he’s most definitely tournament-worthy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, Dul is super solid. Speaking of - you want to get that set in @DulXboxOne?

1 Like

GGs man! i had a ton of fun fighting against your kan-ra using mira. i needed the match up experience and i am still getting my bearings with her. you helped me out alot, i turned in a few wins with her today

1 Like

Anytime bro…I was happy to see that you were starting to think things through and i could definitely see an improvement! Just wished we could use voice chat so we could go over things while we play.

Are you free tomorrow to have a set @GalacticGeek?

Anyone up for some matches tonight? Just got home from the airport and I’ve been itching to play some KI over the last couple of days.

1 Like

Not sure, to be honest. I’ve been playing a lot of Minecraft with friends lately, since we got a real cool world going over the past couple of weeks, and on top of that, I’ll be checking out both the Halo 5 Firefight update and my new game, Inside, both of which should finish downloading overnight. So, if we do at all, it probably won’t be for very long.

With that said, I know it’s off-topic AND promoting another game, but my world in Minecraft is an open world, so if anyone would like to join and help/hang out…

Profound Sadness