The Complete Killer Instinct Guide (ki.infil.net) [All post-S3 chars added!]

If you do TJ’s command grab, everything immediately becomes breakable. This includes any normal he does, or any tremor recapture, or anything.

It follows point #2 in my “summary” on my combo breaker page: “Have you been hit by a special move? If so, you can break.” TJ’s command grab is a special move, so anything after is breakable as long as it’s not a projectile or a sweep.

http://ki.infil.net/cbreaker.html

If you’re talking about cashing out damage, then TJ must either recapture via tremor in order to do a grounded ender, or he must do his shadow ender on the juggled opponent (shadow vortex). Those are his only options for cashing out damage.

I know everything after that is breakable - I just like to do command grab into tremor rather than what I see a lot of other players try to do, which is command grab into normal into tremor. It’s 1 break chance vs. 2, although it likely does less damage as a result.

I have another question for you, @Infilament -
Q: Why not just consider Aganos’ shadow payload assault an ender? I know it’s not grounded, but would doing something like that break the game? If so, why?

Shadow projectiles are never enders for any character. Just a style/balance choice they made. They want you to be able to use them in opener-ender situations without being broken (ie, Jago shadow fireball).

This shouldn’t even be considered a projectile though, especially if he hits you up close (like in a combo) 1st. If anything, it’s what I’d call a (literal) full-screen attack. Projectiles can be avoided - this, not so much once the hammer comes down.

I have a correction on the Aganos page, plus a caveat or two. Ignore as much of this as you would like.

Correction:

“Aganos’s only grounded overhead is close MP, and it is lightning fast and can be canceled into a low Payload Assault projectile for a quick high-low mixup that is safe on block.”

It’s not a high/low mixup anymore. Light Payload Assault got nerfed a while back so that it doesn’t hit low until it stops bouncing on the ground. It’s still a great frame trap on block. The “mixup” aspect of it is just on the first hit, which is a throw/sweep/“overhead into combo or another safe mixup” mixup.

Small caveats (probably don’t matter for this guide):

“It also lets him throw the Peacemaker as a projectile, which travels full screen in nearly an instant, is impossible to avoid by jumping or low-profiling”

Not for Sadira and Cinder. They can get higher than the ridiculously huge hitbox.

“[Shadow Natural Disaster] will recapture on the 5th hit, making it a great reaction anti-air to neutral jumps even if your opponent can throw an air projectile.”

Not against Maya. She gets up and down too fast to catch her. You either release too early and get hit by the dagger, or release too late and probably get shadow countered. It’s a shame, because she’s 1 of about 2-3 characters that probably prompted the addition of that specific projectile invulnerability.

I was also going to include spelling/grammar mistakes, but that seemed kinda petty.

The one thing I would add that might not be apparent to a beginner is the fact that Aganos’ sweep is his only normal that hits “low” (aside from the Peacemaker Cr.HP, which is also a sweep). It means that unless he’s at close range, crouch blocking is always a safe bet on wakeup. He also has the unique situation where his overhead meaty is close range and unreactable, while his low meaty (which can’t combo) is long range and reactable.

Nevertheless, he can still stuff lower-body vulnerable wakeups with crouching normals and some standing normals since their hitboxes are so tall.

Cool, thanks for the input. I’ll correct the misinformation about light payload assault (there are probably numerous small “leftover” errors on my character pages because of all the patches, I’ve tried to squash as many as I can remember), and the caveats are probably easy to fix just by changing strong statements like “impossible” to fuzzier ones like “almost impossible” or “very difficult” or whatnot.

Nah, let me know any errors you find. Spelling/grammar mistakes take seconds to fix so it’s not a problem. If you don’t feel like making a big post with a bunch of petty fixes, feel free to PM them to me instead.

Hey, I noticed something is missing from the Predator Stance section of the Riptor page; there’s no mention of the dashing HP.
Might want to add that in after you finish up with Shago.
Also, I don’t think ever noticed the graphs/comparisons on the main character page. Very nice! :smiley_cat:

I finished Shadow Jago’s page! I had forgotten how hard these things were to do, since I hadn’t written one since ARIA in early June. But hopefully you guys like it!

http://ki.infil.net/shadowjago.html

I made a few other updates to the site as well (because Shago brings a bunch of new systems with him, like stagger), so you can check those out on the updates page: http://ki.infil.net/updates.html

(And sorry to everyone who has given me feedback/corrections on the rest of the site, like the Aganos/Thunder pages, I’ve just been too busy to take a look at them. But they’re still on my to-do list, and your feedback is really helpful! I should be able to get to it sometime soon.)

5 Likes

I can already feel my Shadow Jago growing stronger in power after reading the new page. Thanks @Infilament!

1 Like

I just bought an XB1 for KI and finally played a little bit for the first time today. It was a little overwhelming at first (I started in Dojo) but I think I am beginning to get the hang of it a little bit. I will definitely read through this guide as I can probably use the most help I can get lol I am mainly an MK guy so KI is truly a new experience for me. I am really loving it so far :smile:

1 Like

@Infilament To further add to your todo list haha, feel free to update the fact that the game currently has 18 characters here - http://ki.infil.net/basics.html#whatis

Thanks again for the guide though! It’s awesome!

“to do list” or perhaps “to-do list” but not “todo.” It’s not a little black dog in the land of Oz… :expressionless:

lol - what about “haha”. is it “ha-ha” or “ha ha”? :slight_smile: *grabs popcorn (definitely off topic, but have u posted any Aganos vids yet? if so, i look forward to checking them out. you can PM me if you’d like)

Thanks, I’ll make the fix.

(Unless it’s related to a typo in my guide, please keep discussion like this out of this thread, thanks!)

By the way, I am experimenting with adding a move list to the guide. I’ve put up a sample move list on Jago’s page: http://ki.infil.net/jago.html. Do you guys like the layout? Do you think it takes up too much space? Does it work well on tablets or mobile?

1 Like

At least on Chrome (Android), the layout doesn’t seem to work well as the move list is contained in a very tall column that’s as wide as the word “move”. So the move list doesn’t display well in its current form. Some words even go past the maroon? border. This happened and both portrait and landscape modes. I like the idea though.

Looks good, one thing I’d suggest is adding strength colors to the command normals since right now it looks like Jago can do neck cutter and roundhouse with any strength button.

Ok, I did a test part 2 on Sabrewulf’s page (he has a bit different movelist), so now both Jago and Wulf have a movelist to check out. Sabrewulf: The Complete KI Guide Please give me any feedback, I’m mostly concerned with if you think the movelist takes up too much space (they kind of have to, unfortunately).

Interesting… it looked fine in my android chrome browser. I forced the move list column to be at least 300px wide, so if it manages to get bumped down to below, it won’t be super thin. Some implementations of Chrome also don’t seem to like the fact that the move list was perfect (to the pixel) designed to fit in the space to the right of the character pic, so I shrunk it a few pixels so it won’t freak out. Reload the page and see if that helps? Let me know please.

Yeah, I forgot to upload those graphics, lol. Should be fixed now.

Checked out both Jago’s and Sabrewulf’s page and both layouts look nice and work perfectly! The novelist didn’t feel like it takes up anymore space than it needs. This will be a nice addition to the guide and thanks for your dedication to KI!

Moves Lists are looking good! I liek the icons for each punch/kick strength. Very clean, bold, and easy to read.

1 Like