The Complete Killer Instinct Guide (ki.infil.net) [All post-S3 chars added!]

Well, Spinal has many great qualities, but zoning isn’t one of them. His skulls are used for hard to block mixups, and by and large aren’t good for zoning per se (limited number of skulls, skulls fairly easily avoided). He’s got one or two really good buttons, but his fighting ranges are pretty in line with the rest of the cast generally speaking. If Spinal can hit you, you can probably hit him too. That manifestly is not true for Tusk, who can harass continually with buttons without you being able to return the pressure.

1 Like

Kim Wu’s page is up?

I can feel my power increasing, and I haven’t even clicked on the link, lol

2 Likes

I bet it doesn’t say “backdash all the time” though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lol. Don’t doubt my backdash skills! XD

1 Like

I noticed that Sadira’s counter breaker combo page hasn’t been updated. I assume you want to have the maximum damage options, so you should replace the widow’s bite enders with web cling enders.

Thanks for the Kim Wu update!

1 Like

Found an outdated part on your “on reaction times” page:

“Jumping Slash has 15 frames of startup, which is already on the low side of the reaction limit”

I feel so bad for you right now. Making a guide this expansive for a constantly updating game must suck :sweat:

Yeah, this one’s harder to fix because I have to come up with a good example to replace 15f reaction. Maybe there isn’t one in the game anymore, I dunno.

I’ve known about that particular error for a little while but haven’t had a good idea how to fix it yet.

I don’t know if you can make use of this, but I started work on putting all the character’s frame data into spreadsheets.

Jago’s: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EBONXi2TCD1gTS2GbcB4z6ZYEoq3NNYp99kSxstKACE/edit?usp=sharing

Just this took me about an hour and a half, give or take.

Cool, can you edit your link to put the google doc in between [ url ] tags? It’s trying to embed some version of a google doc plug in and it’s breaking the thread for me

just fixed it. Any input you have would be great.

Nice, a few things:

1. Are you copying the data from the in-game attack data thing, or are you using a capture card and verifying it manually? Reason I ask is because some of the frame data in the game is incorrect, especially for shadow moves and projectiles, and would need to be checked manually, but if you aren’t able/willing to do that this is still quite helpful of course.

2. Are you going to do every character?

3. Are you looking for help? Bastfree has done some of this (but for S2) and there was another user on these forums who was thinking about recording frame data using a capture card, you should probably consider collaborating with these people so that duplicate work doesn’t get done and time is wasted.

As for how I would use it, I’ve been thinking for a long time about a really cool way to visualize frame data (not unlike my shadow break trainer thing). In theory it would work for any game and would be really cool. Unfortunately I haven’t come up with something past a concept phase and it would take me a long time even if I did have a good idea. In the meantime I would just link this doc on the character pages.

1 Like
  1. For now, I’m copying the in-game attack data stats. I’m looking for a way to capture the game on my PC that doesn’t effect frame rate. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

2. That is the plan.

3. I would love help, and have even asked if someone on the KI reddit can make an app to have all the data on a mobile device. No response to either of those yet, as I’ve just posted it there.

Use OBS and do a screen capture. It sure would be nice if you could capture the application window directly, because that is much easier for computers to handle, but y’know… Microsoft knows what they’re doing, don’t worry.

If this makes your PC chug, lower the bit rate and resolution of OBS’s capture (but not the frame rate) until it’s really low. You can probably capture at like… 480p and low bit rate (if that’s as low as you need to go so your computer doesn’t chug) and still be able to do all your frame data research, since you’re just looking for changes in giant hit boxes.

You can probably even temporarily lower your KI settings in game so it’s not running as high. Make it run at 720p with all settings on low, or something like that. As long as you maintain 60 fps play and 60 fps capture, you don’t really care about the video quality as long as it’s not totally unreasonable.

Yeah. I may have to turn everything off or to low in game to get a stable frame rate while recording. Knowing my CPU, I could probably get away with 720p, but is there a particular program that allows for easy frame stepping? Like VLC for example.

For reference, this was Bastfree’s work on Cinder’s frame data in S2. He did a ton of stuff and I don’t think you would have to fill in all the same fields, but leaving it here for reference. Most of this is probably still accurate but not all of it of course.

link here

I use Avidemux, a freeware program that you can easily google. It lets you step back and forth 1 frame at a time using the arrow keys. VLC lets you advance forward by 1 frame but not backwards, which sucks for this type of task.

Thanks for your help. I’m gonna start work on verifying frame data for Jago. Once I get the process down, I’ll move onto Sabrewulf. Then, I’ll update either here or start a new thread for it.

My process would be this:

Set up a keyboard shortcut to start/stop recordings in OBS, then set up your stuff (bit rate, etc) until you can play and record in 60fps. If you have two monitors this helps a lot, so you can see what OBS is doing while you have KI on your other screen.

Open KI and turn on both input display and hitboxes. Press your start key, press stand jab with jago, press your stop key. Then have Avidemux and your folder where OBS stores recordings open, click and drag in. Then find the very first frame where your input display shows you pressed jab (Jago should also be slightly different since he is beginning the animation for this). Press the right arrow and see if you can count 4 distinct frames (including the first one where the button shows up) where there is no red attack box. It should show up on the 5th frame.

If you can do this, then you have a reliable and pretty fast way to do all the checking. You can record normals in bulk (3 or 4 per video, say), then just go through your folder all at once later, frame stepping and then deleting videos when you’re done with them.

Checking shadows is a little tougher because, as I learned doing the shadow break trainer, it’s often very hard to see where the freeze starts and when it stops. If you want specific advice on this, you can ask me later in the new thread you create.

Bastfree also did something really interesting by counting the breakable frames for all auto-doubles and linkers. This is pretty easy as well because you can turn on “Display State: Icons” or something in training data, do the linker, and then just count the frames the icon is active vs inactive. It should give some very interesting results if we have it for all characters, so I would consider putting this in your list.

Wow. Thank you. I’ll definitely keep breakable frames in mind as I’m going through. Something I’ve wondered, are manuals only breakable during hitstop? If so, I wonder how useful that would be.

Bastfree does measure hitstop in his frame data but now we’re getting into tons of stuff to check… if you do all the stuff bastfree does in his spreadsheet, each character will take you like 6+ hours, probably. It’s up to you if you want to take on that workload.