The Bored at Work Thread!

I’ll be interested to hear about your experience with it. As I cruise through middle age the idea of electronic projects is becoming more and more appealing, and I like the raspberry pi concept. I just don’t know what I would do with it. There’s lots of retronarcade projects on you tube, so I’m curious if you are going to use it in your arcade setup.

WTF is a raspberry pi?

It’s a small cheap computer on a motherboard. The idea was to provide a platform to teach kids how to code or to use in school or household projects that need a computer but not necessarily the latest i7.

Raspberry PI 3 Model B 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU, 1GB RAM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MGSPzbTKKQFAJ

1 Like

I’ve actually programmed one for my High School Programming class a couple of years ago. We had a version of Mincraft that was able to work on Pi, and we were able to influence the game by having a python-based program that would do some pretty neat stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah from what I have read online they say it’s comparable to the processing capabilities of an original Xbox. It sounds impressive when you think that the board is the size of a credit card until you realize most modern phones do better in the same package…of course most phones don’t cost $35.

So far I’ve kinda been taking baby steps I guess you could say. I’m still trying to figure all the ins and outs of Retropie. One thing I like is that it runs Playstation games rather well. I loaded up one of my favorite PSX games, Legend of Legaia, and have been enjoying it, as well as Street Fighter Alpha 3. One thing that’s been an issue is the SNES emulator…several games are slow and the audio stutters, and when it does there’s usually a lightning bold indicator on the screen at the time. From what I understand that means it’s not getting enough power to run properly, but the PSU I got with it is the recommended 5v 2.5amp that it requires, so I don’t know about that one.

One thing that I’ve heard several people say with the BS that is occurring surrounding the SNES classic is get a Raspberry Pi because they’re cheaper, but to be honest I wouldn’t recommend it as a substitute. I’ve already got the NES classic and I much prefer it’s GUI and features to Retropie’s, simply because it works right out of the box perfectly. Of course it’s more expensive and not as versatile.

I know my internet.

Nice try LMAO.

3 Likes

Why did I fall for that…

1 Like

I know my Internet as well. I ain’t stupid. I know what lines not to cross

2 Likes

I don’t understand what does this mean until google it…

AAAAHHHHHH!!! I SHOULDN’T GOOGLE IT!

gif~c200

2 Likes

The nice thing is the difference between the I5 and I7 is basically negligible. Unless you’re running a ton of heavy duty programs all at once (like drafting work in engineering) you should be able to save money on a new PC by getting one with the lower processor. I saved a couple hundred dollars on my computer that way and it runs modern games on High and Ultra settings like a champ

Two things to help you: holy water and church. That’s all you need right now

5 Likes

I was just pointing out that the pi is a low power Pc.

But on the subject of intel chips I agree. I have an i5 in my gaming PC and I haven’t had any difficulty even though it’s three years old now. I just jammed a GT1060 in it and it handles everything just fine. I think you want an i7 if you are running some intense programs and multitasking. I don’t think it matters for gaming because the majority of the graphics work is done by the GPU and the games themselves don’t require that much processing.

1 Like

So, I’ve been tinkering with Retropie’s settings a bit and now the higher-end SNES games are working without stutter…I just lowered the video settings, go figure :roll_eyes:.
I’ve been going through a few PSX games…Einhander is a pretty cool PSX era shooter…Dragon Warrior(Quest) 7 is neat. Funny story about DW7, my roommate in college helped with the localization of the game. At the time Enix had just reopened their North American branch and contracted out a lot of the localization to various people on RPG fan sites.
So if you ever see the credits on that game and see the name Doug Hill, yup, he was my roomie. :grin:
Another funny story about the game…it’s also the only game I’ve ever fallen asleep while playing. Battle music isn’t supposed to be soothing!!!

What’s a blue waffle?

1 Like

Don’t google it!!!

Oh…

OH!!!

Oh… s***

Wait are we still talking about breakfast here?

Trust me, it is a breakfast you never want to have.

3 Likes

Never
Eat
Soggy
Waffles