Suicide Squad and Rotten Tomatoes

Honestly I think the bad reviews did the movie a favor. Me and everyone I went with had super low expectations because of the bad reviews and we ended up being pleasantly surprised. It’s definitely not a good movie, but definitely not that bad either.

2 Likes

Rotten tomatoes rarely gets anything right. I dont know why the world uses it as the basis for if a movie is good or not. There is only one way to find out if a movie is good or not…watch it for your self.

1 Like

I remember realy liking The Thing when I watched it years ago, but I was a lot younger, but cant really remember much about it, but it made me pick up what I believe is a remake (made a few years back), for a few bucks on blu-ray, havent gotten around to watching it, anyone know if its worth the time, or was I tricked by nostalgia?

Warner Bros. actually owns Rotten Tomatoes…

alot of DC readers I know really hate how uncharacteristic some of the characters are from he source material. Key elements of the characters are kicked to the curb for no reason at all.

Some movie geeks find the stories to be a little hard to follow.

I could write for days about this, so I’ll keep it short.

Suicide Squad was good and fun. It was well done and got a lot right, but it could still be improved. This is a lot like Man of Steel. Good, solid, fun, but room for improvement.

It does seem like DC has a target on it. I read several reviews before I saw it and was thoroughly confused as to the issues they presented after seeing it. People complained about the movie not making up it’s mind on what it was. It was an action flick in the “government collared a great white and now it’s angry” variety. Not complex, but certainly hashed out within the plot. There were some valid complaints, like them trying too much to be Guardians of the Galaxy. But by and far, the criticisms of the movie didn’t make sense.

So all in all, go see it. It’s worth your money and time. Take critics with a grain of salt (and everyone). And have a good day.

And if you want the DC Cinematic Universe to be great, start a petition to get me hired by Warner. I promise gritty but fun movie scripts and a coherent storyline across many movies focused on both good movie architecture and truth to the source material.

DCCU rough outline:
Phase One -
Adam of Khandaq (Black Adam feature film)
Paradise Lost (Wonder Woman origin with Circe as big bad)
Warrior (Guy Gardner origin with established GL Corps)
Aquaman (No title yet, origin story with emphasis on brother and extended cast of Aqualad)
The Flash (No title, Barry Allen Flash with Jay Garrick established and Cyborg origin cameoed)
Justice League (Superman and Batman enter in as established characters hinted in other movies, expand upon Victor Stone with coming to grips and Adam’s return, movie told more from Vic, Diana and Barry’s perspectives)

I didn’t have any nostalgia going into it a few years ago, my girlfriend and I still think it’s one of the best movies ever. Practical effects in there held up really well.

This may be my new favorite phrase.

I didn’t see it but my brother did. He said it was okay. I liked Man of Steel a lot, found Batman vs Superman to be lame an I generally like the Marvel movies. I expect suicide squad to be meh. I’ll see it on an airplane at some point.

But Rotten Tomatoes is just a review site. It’s not like they make people hate the movie. But, frankly, when was the last time something suggested in a Change.org petition actually happened? It’s all much ado about nothing. Probably the whole thing is being propped up by some WB publicist under the “no such thing as bad publicity” philosophy.

I really love Enchantress in the movie. Makes me wish KI had a witch. The way she first transformed was ■■■■■■■ awesome. Loved it.

The movie isnt as bad as the reviews make it seem. Suicde Squad>Captain America 1> all thor and hulk movies>Iron man 3

2 Likes

The first thor and captain america had better build up than Suicide Squad, and Iron Man 3 is one of the better marvel movies, but it plays like a buddy cop movie. The Mandarin reveal can be polarising, but is only bad if you want it to be bad. In any case, seeing as how cap 1 is a period piece, Thor strays more into the fantasy realm and Iron man three is a buddy movie, they are all vastly different from Suicide Squad and can be enjoyed for different reasons, and ranking them will mostly happen based on personal opinion. Which makes your opinion just as valid as my own, so dont take it as criticising :grin:

Thor 2 and Hulk I agree with, they leave somewhat to be desired.

Oh and Enchantress was way awesome, till she changed her looks :unamused:

I just find the way they choose to do these movies to be boring. I saw Man of Steel, and it’s just a gray, joyless building smashing affair, with a bunch of one note characters.

I don’t think the issue is with critics, I think it’s that people don’t like seeing the things they love get criticized.

2 Likes

I don’t believe this is entirely what’s happening, but it’s definitely part of the larger problem. People love to say, “hey, don’t like it? It isn’t bothering you so don’t watch it.” But too often, that “neutrality” goes out the window when people don’t like what you do.

I’ve been really underwhelmed with the current DCU movie run. The 1st Superman movie was aight. But batman vs supermas was… well… MARTHA???.

Anyway i saw suicide squad & it was the best one by miles. Not fantastic or great but i liked it & would recomend it. With any movie it’s up to you if its good or not. So if wanna see it go for it.

2 Likes

To each their own right?

I for one thought Titanic was a drag and no where near the praise it got from critics. Not to say the actors/actresses didn’t excel at their performance, just to say it didn’t pertain to me.

I enjoyed Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

Sure BvS wasn’t tailored specifically towards the comics, felt disjointed without the 30’ fill-in that came in the Ultimate Edition and they botched the ending. But, it was enjoyable and I didn’t walk out feeling super disappointed.

I haven’t seen SS, but I plan to see it soon. I saw the reviews on Rotten Tomato and thought, meh. Personally I prefer to see reviews of movies from regular people opposed to critics.

Review is spoiler-free

1 Like

.[quote=“oTigerSpirit, post:34, topic:13102”]
Sure BvS wasn’t tailored specifically towards the comics, felt disjointed without the 30’ fill-in that came in the Ultimate Edition and they botched the ending. But, it was enjoyable and I didn’t walk out feeling super disappointed.
[/quote]

That is why it is called DC Extended Universe

Titanic is probably the second worst movie of all time, in my opinion. (88% positive in rotten tomatoes) A real life drama spoiled by a trite and overdone cliche plot about princess and pauper romance. The bad guy is bad because he’s rich, and is so irredeemably bad that he will kill Leonardo out of spite even though they are both on a sinking ship. Ok. Great writing.

The worst movie of all time in my opinion is Avatar (83%) So James Cameron looms large in my world.

If it’s any solace, Sausage Party is currently sitting at 100% and that thing is going to flop hard. Critics reviews don’t mean much. Suicide squad made a truckload of money on the strength of decent trailers and Margot Robbie changing her shirt…

As far as reviews go, I usually go with The AV Club, or Ebert when he was alive. They’re usually pretty interesting reviews, and they point out the things that they do or do not like about a movie, so at least you get a good idea where they’re coming from. Pop Culture Happy Hour is a weekly NPR podcast that sometimes touches on movies, and they’ve had a round table discussion talking about Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad.

Exactly, which is why I enjoyed it for what it was. Not what it “could’ve” been.

RIGHT! I kid you not, I spent so much time trying to convince myself that this movie was good. As expected, I couldn’t bring myself to find the enjoyment others found. This movie is fill with so much openness that is never explored in a world with bland life. The dialogue was bland, the characters were bland and the conflict was bland. Overall, it is a mediocre film glorified by the connections of a well-renowned director or rather just a film that I could care less about.

Isn’t there a joke out that suggests that the movie is practically based on the Smurfs lol

The setting varies from ridiculous (floating rocks? Wtf?) to unexplored. And the plot is the same far-left native people at one with nature versus evil materialist moneygrubbers that you can see in much better films, including both Dances with Wolves and Pocohantas. Seriously, “unobtainium.” Groan. Plus the fact that the Aliens are just like us only taller, more graceful and blue. They have the identical secondary sex characteristics (blue boobs on display everywhere). Seriously, the Avatars are wasted in this environment. Just wear stilts and paint yourself blue. All culminating in them sitting around the world tree chanting to somehow produce miraculous victory. The hero sells out the human race to run off with a pair of blue ■■■■■ he met literally two days ago and then actually murders a whole bunch of people who he was allied with up until the night before. Murder and terrorism are great as long as you are killing dirty capitalists! This from a millionaire director. Hey James, why don’t you send all your money down to Brazil where they are cutting down the rainforest instead of using it to cheat on your wife with every actress you cast and then making preachy films to lecture me with?

Sorry, I get carried away. Every moment of the movie was torture for me. To make it worse I went with my father-in-law, who loved it because he loves anything with explosions.

4 Likes

I enjoyed Avatar for what it was, a 3D showcase, but it is indeed not a great movie. One of the few big blockbuster movies I dont have on blu-ray, and I even have the resodent evil series (guilty pleasure) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But for a one time thing it was ok.
But it would never have been this big without the whole “true 3d” gimmick.

Not want to derail this thread, so I’m going to start a new one about films recomendations, since I see people with good taste for films around

2 Likes