Straight Forward Characters vs "Gimmicky" Characters

Jago is an all around good character. Great footsies, great normals, good frame traps, has long range attacks, good wakeup, arguably one of the best instincts in the game, and great damage output. If you can’t make use of all that then its on you.

The thread is just asking what play type you like, not which is better. Every character has pros and cons, good matchups and bad matchups.

Bring on more Characters with “Gimmicks!” To me, Season 2 was the better roster and revitalized the whole game.

Sadira is my S1 main and Kan-Ra is my S2 main.

It seems like IG is taking inspiration from Arc System and that’s fine by me. The only fighting games I enjoy more than KI are BlazBlue and Guilty Gear.

1 Like

I like using BOTH straightforward and “gimmicky” characters just about equally for me here

I like straightforward gimmick characters like Fulgore. He can fight with just basics. However,his gimmick gives him more options. If you want to go with the simpliest option,you can almost always use it if used right(specials canceled into other specials). You can take longer for more powerful stuff. Or save it the whole round for a powerful super.

1 Like

If you think about it, all the S1 characters, except for maybe Spinal, are simply-designed characters with varying degrees of gimmicks.

Your example of Fulgore is a good one, but also consider Sadira. The woman is “gimmicky” with all her air shenanigans, but she also has a very solid ground game that let’s her play a simple, even footsie-based game.

While characters like Riptor, Hisako, and Aganos and Aria to an extent seem to follow that same formula, the rest of the S2 characters are just all over the place.

1 Like

Well if you think about Spinal,he starts off fundamentally simple. Get soem hits and do stuff. Then when he gets skulls,it sort of replaces his shadow a bit. He can use the Skulls for shadows and stuff.

2 Likes

Yea, now that I think about, you can play footsies with Spinal when he doesn’t have skulls. He has some very decent pokes.

1 Like

There is so much depth in simplicity with the Season 1 characters. It takes a lot of skill to come up with designs like that.

1 Like

I prefer more straightforward characters myself…All of these meters and modes etc just overcomplicate things, IMO.

I kind of like how we have a bit of both when it comes to complex vs. rather simplistic characters. I’m actually hoping that S3 will kind of close the gap a bit with characters that are somewhere in the middle. That way we have simple, moderate, and complex characters to play, learn, and master. :wink:

2 Likes

Thunder vs. Season 2 (with the exception of Omen) =

2 Likes

Lmao this title is godlike xD