Sportsmanship, good practices, and how to be a better player

I’m a sportsmanlike player (don’t taunt, teabag, or full ultra), and I always say GG’s and such at the end of a set. Not quite sure if I’m a “good” player in the sense of people are guaranteed to have fun playing against me though. My Hisako in particular is pretty great at making people salty and seemingly ensuring they don’t have fun. Some players really enjoy fighting her; others don’t have any fun whatsoever.

3 Likes

i would say most people get salty at the moment but later if the cool of they will say ggs

I like to think I am sportsmanlike, especially to strangers. If you ever feel upset at someone after a loss (they taunted tea-bagged, etc
) try sending the a “GG” message. Most of the time, they will respond with “GG, you were good” and then you don’t feel terrible anymore. It doesn’t always work, but even when it doesn’t you get a good laugh. If you compliment someone and they respond by insulting you, it’s pretty darn funny.

1 Like

I’m starting to sound like a hipster scrub.

So let’s stop doing that. And actually improve.

Thanks for making this @Dayv0

2 Likes

Bravo. :clap:

Yeah, @SonicDolphin117 its a douche, but we love him anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

You were in my mind when I was writing this. You said this yesterday in another post:

And I disagree. [quote=“MandrillManiac, post:4, topic:16300”]
I won’t be like Bass. I won’t be like Sleep. I won’t be like Storm 179.

And It’s not a matter of “so why should I try”

It’s a matter of whether or not I want to.

Don’t get me wrong I love this game to death. But at the same time I still feel their is no place for mandrill in the tournament bracket or among the fights with good players from the forums.
[/quote]

This is ■■■■■■■■ man. Anybody can improve, anybody can get better. With proper training, everyone could be a great player.

I could give you examples. @SightlessKombat is blind, yet he managed to get to Killer several times. THAT’S ■■■■■■■ HEROIC. I always tell him that he is a hero for me. Being able to understand and play KI at his level of skill it’s something I wouldn’t belive before knowing him. I’m proud about knowing him and his history, it’s inspiring. If you ever told me to play a fighting game with my eyes closed, I would tell you that I whoulnd’t go far. @SightlessKombat it’s an example of what can be achieved with conviction, hope and strong will. And I admire that from him.

You, @MandrillManiac, are not a bad player. You understand the game. You can improve, of course, as everyone. But you shouldn’t give up. I remember the exact day we were fighting after S3 launched. I remember how I showed you some flipouts setups with Riptor. I remember, weeks later, how we fought again and you were applying that setups. And I was PROUD.

You don’t have to aim to be the next EVO champion. Aim for something more simple: Aim to get better and have fun. Improve day by day. One day, you will take a look back, and you will see how you improved. But you can’t think in absolute terms here. You can’t just say “I want to be a top 8 evo player, but now I’m far from there, so it’s impossible and late”.

Some time ago, when I played SFIV for the first time, I came from a long time without playing fighting games due a hand injury. I was TRASH. I was obfuscated. I thought that fighting games were no longer for me. But I didn’t give up. I trained, became a decent player, and I’m happy with my skills. And I translated them into other FGs.

Sometimes I lose badly to other people. That doesn’t have to discourage me from playing or aiming to get better. On the contrary, it encourages me. If the guy who beat me to dust can achieve that skill, I CAN.

I know you can @MandrillManiac. I know you will.

Give yourself some time. Be happy playing the game. Be positive. And improvement will come. I can guarantee you that

6 Likes

I enjoy playing you but I don’t find you a good player because you didn’t tag me
lel. I agree with your post.

2 Likes

I can only tag 10 people :frowning:

1 Like

GGs forums. Wrecks us all at some point :smiley:

3 Likes

Awesome thread! @BigBadAndy should enjoy this thread for sure.

I think Im fun, but I can get a bit salty at times. I do know that if my opponent is a stranger and he acts like a jerk Im quick to return the favor
and sometimes that may carry on in to the next match vs a stranger even though they did nothing wrong. Im trying to work on that.

But when I play with strangers that are kind and may have taken a beaten I ALWAYS send them GG and the links to the forums, Infills guide and Sajams youtube
 Ive helped a lot of new players in the last year and I hope they have become better players in return.

I dont play many sets agaisnt friends from the forums but when I do its usually with @WandaMaximoff (where the hell you been biatch!) , @dayvo, and @BigBadAndy
 and those sets are always a blast! They need to happen much more often as well.

4 Likes

Spend 95% of my time playing against randoms so

1 Like

Then we should spend some of that 5% fighting!

Yeah, just wish I had a working MIC so people didn’t get bored playing with me.

2 Likes

We can chat by xbox messages anyway!

Also, get a ■■■■■■■ mic you lazy ■■■!

Lol, got four kids to feed.

2 Likes

Now I can’t unsee this:
https://g33kp0rn.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/if-you-ask-a-gamer-dad-to-watch-the-baby.jpg

1 Like

“johnny, la gente está muy loca”

But yes, I do believe people is crazy online and that cazyness has even gotten to me. I used to be a quite person while playing, no swering and stuff. But there was something I’ve never liked: the disrespect and lag.

• Lag would drive me crazy (because I’m not performing as I should and as I know I can) it’s just the same like playing with a broken stick during the old days, or a button won’t working.
  • Disrespect: it was uncommon when you are face to face to someone, but is upseting too.

You know, I’ve never seen the other person as AI, that’s why I get mad at them for being disrespectful, trashtalking, mean and social misfits to me. Why would I get mad at AI? it would be a waste of energy. I still don’t understand why people get mad at a dumb code XD If it’s broken or too hard and I had enough I would just turn off the console and go outside to ride my bike. It’s important to take fresh air.
To people being too agressive or annoying I will use the report/block button. I’ll still may come across them but at least I won’t hear them.

1 Like

:bangbang: IVE BEEN ON OVERWATCH! :bangbang:

lol dont wanna moan guys but Season 3 lost its pull on me!

Dont get me wrong its a strong season and a 8.9 for me but that last row of characters
 it just lacks things that S1 and S2 didn’t for me.

@FallofSeraphs76 if you wanna play im WELL up for it. This is still one of my favourite games of ALL TIME. But you boys @Dayv0 :heart: included will need to pull me off other games for it. Ive found that although i LOVE Kim, Mira, Eyedoll and like Tusk, Arbiter and Gargos that the like has killed the desire to get better with the latter and keep coming back for more!

Season 1 and 2 pacing and content kept me playing for almost a full SOLID year but with a cast of only “3 loves” that has affected my time on the game!

Season 3 is the most balanced game so far BUT for me its newness died fast mostly due to the lack of stages, new characters, guests and a story mode that didn’t feature as much lore as id have liked. TOTALLY OFF TOPIC! (maybe thats why i havent been here as much)

so the moral of the story is:

GUYS BY ALL MEANS PLEASE SHOOT ME AN INVITE!. I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH SO MAKE ME SWITCH IT ON!!

our battles are always FANTASTIC, better than any other game, but you wont find me sitting on ranked or online every day like before.

who knows this little break (3 times a week rather than every day) might even give u a chance to beat me :nail_care: HAHA

:heart: Wanda

3 Likes

Oh its on M-O-F-O!

Im off for 4 days straight so I plan on playing some of you if you are available. No thanksgiving for you foreigners, so you and Dayvo should be available
not sure about @BigBadAndy .

3 Likes

im always free to play you just msg me on face book or XBL when im aroudn and im there!

BUT YA GONNA DIE lol

xx

1 Like