So what's next for Raam?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Frame anything is not “basic” in any sense of the word - if it was, it would be obvious to new players and/or covered in the dojo. I also already told you that my initial post was NOT an attack on you, so stop acting like it was

Which options are those? I’d like to know!

Well since half of this thread was turned into trying to help you understand frame advantage why don’t you see if you can’t figure out what those options are on your own?

4 Likes

First of all, that was mean. You should never be mean when someone asks a legitimate question in an attempt to learn something.

Secondly, I did. I went into practice mode and tried the grab after every move Raam had, and it always whiffed due to block stun. I can wait for a split-second and land it after virtually everything, but that gives my opponent the opportunity they need to backdash or n.jump to avoid it, so I don’t really see that as pressure

How was I mean? Suggesting you put into practice everything you might have learned is just the logical thing to do.

As for your attempts, don’t just randomly try it after each move, look at the frame data and identify what “should” work.

4 Likes

says the guy who’s first response to he thread was “dur you want buffs.”

You wanna improve with raam? figure it out yourself. Or maybe actually read what’s been posted. Maybe then 70% of this thread wouldn’t be trying to teach you day 1 information.

3 Likes

Reading frame data isn’t day 1 info, or even really beginner level info. I don’t think most people start to dig into frame advantage in any meaningful sense until upper-intermediate levels of play for most games.

But I do think there’s a learning opportunity here for you @GalacticGeek. The opponent being able to neutral jump or backdash your grab out of the frame trap is trivial - any non-wallsplat command grab that can hit is by definition jumpable. The important point (and where understanding frame data comes in) is knowing when and where neutral jump/backdash are unlikely options by the defender. Where are they likely to push buttons, but you still have cards to play?

A general rule of all fighters is “when my opponent does something negative, it is now my turn.” The frame data is important because it can let you calculate a time where you can enact the first half of that maxim (I’ve done something negative), but ignore the second (not your turn yet, dummy). A good practical example of this is a blocked Jago wind kick->DP. Jago is certainly negative after medium wind kick, but he isn’t so negative that he can’t act at all (since med wind kick isn’t punishable). Fortunately for him, he has an invincible move that comes out in three frames and beats any attempt to pressure him. You can poke after medium wind kick all you like, but the simple fact of the matter is that your poke will never beat his invincible DP. But it’s still a really good frame trap, because Jago is negative and it shouldn’t be his turn anymore.

An example more analogous to Raam (because his grab isn’t invincible) is Hisako’s rekka (blocked)->shadow influence frame trap. I’m -10 at best after the third ORZ rekka - what reason would anyone have to neutral jump or backdash if they’ve blocked all three rekkas? That move is normally punishable by even fierce attacks, so the opponent is more than likely going to push a button here. But my cancel into shadow influence hits before any non-invincible or non-throw invincible punish you might be attempting. You can mash jab after the third rekka, but my shadow influence will always get to you first.

Raam has similar options after his stab. Go into practice and record Raam doing these strings, and then on the playback see if your mash jab can reach him before he throws you. If it can, then maybe that isn’t the strength stab you want or perhaps you muffed the timing; but if it can’t, then you’ve just found yourself a bonified command grab frame trap.

1 Like

When you think you’re a decent RAAM player who predominately uses Deadly Stomp mixups/setups then get told Deadly Stomps is practically useless compared to other setups:

2 Likes

So how about that RAAM guy, eh? He’s got some pretty good mixups off of those grab/OTG/knock down shenanigans.
It’ll be crazy when people really dig out the good tech. Once someone unlocks the puzzle box he’ll be pretty cool if you can manage the risk. Hope they don’t try and normalize him and give him more tools for less damage. That’d be hella boring.

(Though if I am going to talk about what the thread has become, because I knew I had reason to be suspicious when a RAAM tech thread had 80 new replies in an hour, I always think of the whole written frame data thing as Plus+ Numbers= Offense Advantage while Negative- Numbers = Defense Advantage. Always assume the written form in KI is referring to the offensive party, similar to how it works in other games like Black Ops 2. Unless this part is no longer relevant, then bury it with the rest of the thread)

Has anyone thought of using cross ups during instinct? I think it’d be helpful. Also, since Kryll Rush is much better I think it wouldn’t hurt to try using it more.

1 Like

That’s not at all what i said. I simply suggested you try what we had been trying to help you learn. It’s like if i had been teaching someone to read music and they asked me what a certain note was and i simply said “well instead of me telling you try to figure it out using what you’ve learned.” You seem to have projected negativity onto my post.

1 Like

The main advantage of insinct is that ambiguous body splash gets even more ambiguous. If it were easier to clear more of the cast with light command grab setups then it’d probably be pretty crazy how he could get off his light command grab setups. Which coincidentally are easier to get because people will downback during pressure durinf instinct.

It does just make shadow command grab mixups amazin though

Kryll rush is probably always going to be raam’s worst tool. Shadow is signifiantly better now sure, but it’s gonna be a hard read due to it’s long startup. It still has all the clunkiness from being able to get stuffed while still having all the uselessness of being really REALLY easy to jump even if the rush absorbs their jump attack.

@SithLordEDP While it may be true that I was projecting, if you want to teach someone something, you have to guide them along, and scaffold the information from something they already understand into something more. You can’t just throw them into the deep end and expect positive results

@Fwufikins One of the reasons I’m having a hard time staying on topic in this thread is because I truly believe there’s not much more to this character outside of what everyone already knows about his typical setups as well as some of the more advanced crossup / delay setups off of the heavy knockdowns that people have already discovered. With that said, I genuinely hope everyone here proves me wrong in that regard - I’m just not seeing it yet.

You weren’t thrown into the deep end though. Several people posted walls of texts over 100+ posts, you must have gotten something out of all that.

2 Likes

Which members of the cast are not easy to clear with setups after light grab? I think you have to change the setup for the tall characters but I imagine you have enough time, no? To clear a Jago-sized character you have time to whiff deception + crouch jab, so I imagine you can just not whiff the jab, or do a forward dash instead of deception, or deception + “walk a little bit” or something for the other characters.

I was confusing it with backthrow my bad, off of which the whiffed jab i do causes him to land in front on a decent amount. It’s actually that some chars are too easy to clear with light, at least in my experience. Fulgore in particular lands rrally close to you for some reason,and as a result deception makes all your options crossup. A microwalk back might fix it but at the same time youd probablt get dped for not crossing up anyways.

@Infilament because i pressed the wrong reply

As a small optimization, c hp can cancel into heavy emergence for a hard knockdown. Midscreen they’ll be knocked too far away but if theyre trying to jump in the corner its probably the best result you can get off an anti air or prediction

2 Likes

He has a problem with it, doesn’t mean you can’t just continue your discussion in a civil manner.
Please stop continuing this debate here, a moderator has already dropped by with a warning and @STORM179 has been nice enough to encourage a discussion about this in the right topic.

Back to RAAM, any word on Coach Steve’s RAAM? Last I remember he shared some tech and said no more until EVO or KIWC, not sure which. I would really like to see it because everyone’s had nothing but good things to say about it.