So what's next for Raam?

…but you can’t dash cancel once the attack comes out, and if you do, the attack cancels, and then you leave yourself open to attack. I’ve often been the one stuffed trying this.

@KagekaAkumu In regards to flip out, I like to mix it in with m.stomp delays to mess with the opponent and keep them on the ground, because in doing so, it delays the HKD. Once I feel comfortable, I’ll then do the l.stomp for the flip out. What I realized just yesterday though, was that I was sacrificing damage by only ever doing l.CG, when I could easily do m. or h.CG because I thought that they could avoid it more easily if I did - and the truth is, not really. So, I’ve told myself to do those more-damaging CGs more often. :slight_smile:

I believe he is refering at conditionating your opponent into blocking the attack or backdashing it, so if they block or try to backdash it, you could just cancel it into forward dash and use dominance/regular throw. Otherwise you could bait a Krill shield expecting a DP, backdash it, and punish freely. In any scenario, all this is very situational, of course.

Krill shield is probably the most hard to use among his tools. But is also one of the best. Bait a lot with it, cancelling into backdash to be safe. As Raam you want to slowly put your opponent in the corner, and then start baiting until you can use an opening

1 Like

I almost never back dash with kryll shield because I’m often using it to get in. As for using it to bait DPs, I love doing that against Jago, but not so much against Fulgore or Shago…

When I cancel Krill shield into dash, 75% of the dashes are backdashes. It could sound counterproductive when getting close, but as Raam, you don’t want to get in fast, you want to get in without loosing to much in the proccess. Safer and slower approach, it’s much advisable, also because if you dash forward frequently, your opponent could option select your dash. This is specially true against characters with slow projectiles or fast ways to get in

With Raam you could kill a full health bar in less than 7 seconds, even less with instinct. Take your time, slowly, to get in, without risks, and make it count once you are inside

Yeah, does look like there is no reversal buffer here. I can’t say I have any special insights.

If true, that does really increase the value of flipouts for all characters.

Normally I would help you try to verify your findings but I’m traveling right now.

I feel like you can reversal after most characters’ flipouts relatively easily. Raam’s is the only one where it seems weirdly tight. Not sure if that’s just because the others happen more slowly, or if Raam’s just has some kind of special property to it.

I’d try and help verify, but am also traveling :sweat_smile:

Tell me how to verify, and I’ll give it a go. :slight_smile:

Since all eyes are this thread raam wise I think ill post optimal instinct counter break combos for raam here. Theyre in the same way as the ones in infils page(infil pls add em when ya get the chance)

0 Meter: Cancel first hit of counterbreaker linker into instinct > HP doubles > medium Decimation > HP doubles > light Decimation > HP doubles > light Decimation > Dominance Ender (64%)

1 Meter: Cancel first of hit of counterbreaker linker into instinct > HP doubles > medium Decimation > HP doubles > light Decimation > HP doubles > light Decimation > Shadow Dominance Ender (76%)

2 Meter: Cancel first of hit counterbreaker linker into instinct > HP doubles > medium Decimation > HP doubles > light Decimation > Shadow Decimation > Shadow Dominance Ender (83%)

Geek, they don’t have to answer you in this topic, that would be off topic.

If you have any doubt, PM the mods about that particular post, do not ask that here. It’s clearly off topic

Thank you kindly

6 Likes

Huh. I’d just never really played grapplers before this. It seems a bit odd to me that you have a character that can easily go through an entire tournament without switching (Fulgore, Jago) and a character that has too big of swings to be useful. I used to think that was just laziness on the part of the developers and favoritism towards certain characters (i.e. how Street Fighter always has a shoto at S tier), but it sounds like you’re saying that some archetypes are simply not viable at higher levels no matter how hard the designers try. I’ll have to ponder that.

It feels more difficult then it should be on all flip outs to me, though perhaps Raam is the worst offender. Just sitting in practice mode trying to dp thunder post flip out is horribly inconsistent for me

Some designs are much more likely to be counter-picked, which does make them more unlikely to be usable 100% of the way through a tournament, but doesn’t mean they don’t serve purpose (ie, they will have good matchups themselves). Sometimes even the bad matchup is decently winnable.

You can debate whether having matchups like this is good for the game or not… sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t. But it’s an archetype that didn’t really exist in KI before Raam so it makes sense that they’d like to try it.

I think Raam’s worst matchup isn’t even remotely as bad as some of the classic bad grappler matchups in other games, though (even modern SF games like SF4).

1 Like

One thing is for sure, your guide helped me a lot. Have you updated it to reflect the patch changes, or do you think they haven’t had much effect? Looking forward to seeing how you make sense of Eyedol.

Some patch changes from 3.4 are in my guide (the move lists are updated, for instance, or should be at least), but there is still a lot missing that I will work on soon, once I get back from a trip I’m on.

Just figured out his Krill attack on Emergence is breakable. All those juggle set-ups into MK Emergence were breakable :frowning:

So much for damage set-ups. Also I can’t seem to be able to stomp after Shadow Emergence, even against airborne opponents, while I can with regular Emergence. Is it just timing or it’s a restriction they put in?

A better way to look at it is this: with the way certain archetypes play, the drawbacks they have to have to keep them from rolling over the majority of the cast mean that they will inevitably end up with a handful of pretty bad matchups. To try to make these matchups more even means doing one of two things: either eliminate the weaknesses that are keeping them from stomping most of the characters, or ease up on both their strengths and their weaknesses. The former is a bad idea as you’re almost guaranteeing the character will run away with the game, while the latter is sometimes good and sometimes bad. Sometimes, a character’s design really is too extreme–if a typical round with two equivalently skilled players is a complete stomp from one player or the other, maybe they do need to be made a little more well-rounded in their design and a little less able to dominate. But on the other hand, doing so runs the risk of diluting the essence of the character, sacrificing some of their identity to make them more “normal.”

The end result of all of this is, simply, that grapplers tend to have some bad matchups. There’s a case to be made that a character with a handful of 7-3 or worse matchups that wins most of their others may actually be weaker than a character with no winning matchups at all but nothing as bad as a 7-3. However, a character that has mostly winning matchups and some really bad ones tends to make for an excellent counterpick character, something you can bring out in the last game of a tournament set to capitalize on a winning matchup. The problem with that is that most people aren’t playing tournament sets, so people that play these characters are somewhat rare; few will put the time in to have them as a secondary, and fewer still will play them as their main. Ultimately though, I think that kind of extreme character design can add a lot to a game, and I’m glad raam is in KI.

Wait his juggles are breakable? As in c hp medium emergence?

It shouldn’t be - the c.HP isn’t an opener, and the m.emergence is still technically in the neutral since it’s not an opener/linker/ender.

EDIT: Yep, I was right. I set break all to on in practice and nothing gets broken…